FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   International Transit at CGK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1977093-international-transit-cgk.html)

Pinni Jul 7, 2019 5:38 am

International Transit at CGK

I'm thinking of booking two separate tickets involving an international transit in CGK: arriving with SQ from SIN, continuing with MH to KUL. 2h transfer time (arriving at 7am, continuing at 9am), separate tickets, hand baggage only.

I've read horror stories about the transit in CGK but in the recent years it seemed to improve. Does anyone have recent experiences with an airside transit?. Both SQ and MH operate from Terminal 2 in CGK, so no terminal change is required. Will a mobile boarding pass for the MH flight be sufficient to get to the departure area without going through the immigration?

moondog Jul 7, 2019 8:04 am

SIN and KUL are close together, there are many flights, and fares are cheap. What compels you to make it into an expensive and time consuming exercise?

Pinni Jul 7, 2019 8:50 am

I will not start in SIN but only transfer in SIN coming from Europe, in my case the fares to CGK (over SIN) are much cheaper than to KUL.

Anyway that was not my question. Could someone comment on recent experiences with international transit in CGK? Is there a transfer desk to get the boarding pass for the MH flight? Do they accept mobile boarding passes? How complicated and time consuming is it?

blandy62 Jul 7, 2019 5:54 pm

Few years ago, I flew SIN-JKT on AF and connecting JKT-KUL on KL. Separate tickets and hand luggage only. On arrival in JKT there was a kind of booth for transfer. I asked the lady there and after a few phone calls she took my passport and came back 20 mins later with my boarding pass and I was sent directly back to the departure level. I don’t know if it is still the same today but it was possible. Just had to convience a bit the staff to check as her first reaction was “no can do”.
but worse to worse if you don’t need a visa for Indonesia, 2 hours. Should be no problem to go landslide to check in if no checked luggage, provided you inbound flight is on time

weetanuki Jul 7, 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by blandy62 (Post 31279561)
Few years ago, I flew SIN-JKT on AF and connecting JKT-KUL on KL. Separate tickets and hand luggage only. On arrival in JKT there was a kind of booth for transfer. I asked the lady there and after a few phone calls she took my passport and came back 20 mins later with my boarding pass and I was sent directly back to the departure level. I don’t know if it is still the same today but it was possible. Just had to convience a bit the staff to check as her first reaction was “no can do”.
but worse to worse if you don’t need a visa for Indonesia, 2 hours. Should be no problem to go landslide to check in if no checked luggage, provided you inbound flight is on time

I just did this end of April. KL to GA, and had checked bags that were checked all the way thru, but separate tickets. Same as above, it took a few phone calls and 20 min. waiting but once the immigration person came back with my passport, I was good to go. You should be fine.

blueferrari Jul 8, 2019 3:04 am

SQ and MH is now on Terminal 3.
If there's no problem on incoming flight, I think it's doable, but if it were me, I'll try to make a slightly longer connection. I never connect int/int in CGK, but I figure it must be simple enough.

ASELdriver Jul 10, 2019 6:34 am

I did this in Terminal 3 in May, arriving on SQ and departing on TK. It turned out to be incredibly quick and easy, even with checked baggage. The great ground staff in SIN were happy to tag my luggage to my final destination and print my onward TK boarding passes.

On the arrivals level, there is a transfer desk before passport control. I assume they can sort a boarding pass if you don't already have one, but they just pointed me to the one immigration agent standing at the podium nearby. He looked at my passport and boarding pass, checked it against a printed list, and then waved me through to the escalator. There is a deserted security checkpoint at the top of the escalator, and behind that is the departures gates. The entire transfer process took about 5 minutes.

On the return journey, I had checked in online for the SQ flight departing CGK, but I was unable to get a printed boarding pass. The electronic copy on my phone (not a true mobile boarding pass in the SQ app, but rather the emailed PDF that you are supposed to print at home) was fine for the immigration agent at the transfer podium. The guys at the security checkpoint seemed skeptical at first, but they decided it was OK after talking among themselves for a few seconds.

In both cases, I did go early to the gate for my departing flight, show the agents my luggage claim check, and reconfirm that they knew I was in the departure area.

Pinni Jul 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you all for sharing the experience, very helpful!

swaigiux Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ASELdriver (Post 31288619)
I did this in Terminal 3 in May, arriving on SQ and departing on TK. It turned out to be incredibly quick and easy, even with checked baggage. The great ground staff in SIN were happy to tag my luggage to my final destination and print my onward TK boarding passes.

On the arrivals level, there is a transfer desk before passport control. I assume they can sort a boarding pass if you don't already have one, but they just pointed me to the one immigration agent standing at the podium nearby. He looked at my passport and boarding pass, checked it against a printed list, and then waved me through to the escalator. There is a deserted security checkpoint at the top of the escalator, and behind that is the departures gates. The entire transfer process took about 5 minutes.

On the return journey, I had checked in online for the SQ flight departing CGK, but I was unable to get a printed boarding pass. The electronic copy on my phone (not a true mobile boarding pass in the SQ app, but rather the emailed PDF that you are supposed to print at home) was fine for the immigration agent at the transfer podium. The guys at the security checkpoint seemed skeptical at first, but they decided it was OK after talking among themselves for a few seconds.

In both cases, I did go early to the gate for my departing flight, show the agents my luggage claim check, and reconfirm that they knew I was in the departure area.

I was just wondering if you had to pick up the luggage at CGK? I'm doing Europe-CGK on TK and then CGK-SIN on SQ in December, all on one ticket ticket though, presumably with luggage check though to final destination

ASELdriver Jul 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by swaigiux (Post 31290091)
I was just wondering if you had to pick up the luggage at CGK? I'm doing Europe-CGK on TK and then CGK-SIN on SQ in December, all on one ticket ticket though, presumably with luggage check though to final destination

No, my luggage was tagged to my final destination in both directions, so I did not have to claim it in CGK. I had separate tickets (SQ and TK), so I expect you will have no trouble on a single ticket.

I've departed a few TK outstations in Europe with self-connections on separate tickets, both TK-TK and TK-SQ. The ground staff have always managed to tag the luggage through to my final destination, even if they can't print boarding passes. It always took them extra time, and occasionally required them calling for help, so I would suggest to arrive a bit earlier than usual to get that done without stress.

Departing SIN, on the other hand, the ground staff always seem to know exactly how to do it. I wouldn't suggest to arrive any earlier than usual there.

AA EXP DFW-LON Jun 1, 2022 7:27 am

Has anyone done an airside transit at CGK T3 recently? I'm arriving on JL and want to do airside transit to an AirAsia (AK) flight to KUL. My gf is arriving on JL and transferring to SQ. Both airlines operate to/from T3. I have my onward AK boarding pass. She has her SQ boarding pass.

Is this feasible? If so, any tips/suggestions to make the change easy?

Thank you in advance.

Grace B Jun 13, 2022 3:46 am

Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON (Post 34297906)
Has anyone done an airside transit at CGK T3 recently? I'm arriving on JL and want to do airside transit to an AirAsia (AK) flight to KUL. My gf is arriving on JL and transferring to SQ. Both airlines operate to/from T3. I have my onward AK boarding pass. She has her SQ boarding pass.

Is this feasible? If so, any tips/suggestions to make the change easy?

Thank you in advance.

I'm looking at a business class SQ-TG 2.25 hours connection around mid day. I wouldn't expect airside connections to be open, so it would be fairly tight, but hopefully doable (I've been through CGK many times pre-Covid).

What thoughts?

injian Mar 18, 2023 10:45 am

Hi folks, my sister booked an Aeroplan reward flight all on one booking reference:
SQ - SIN to CGK
EY - CGK to JFK via AUH

I could not find any info on SQ and EY having an interline agreement.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to get the bags tagged all the way to JFK?
2. If not, is there a way to tag the bag to CGK, pick it up and check in at EY without having to pay for a visa? As a Canadian, we need to get a visa if visiting Indonesia but she is just transiting. I’m afraid she may have to pay one.

rownada Jul 29, 2023 7:17 pm

What is the opening hours of CGK Terminal 3 transit security check? Does it open throughout the night?

Grace B Aug 1, 2023 5:51 am

Originally Posted by rownada (Post 35455649)
What is the opening hours of CGK Terminal 3 transit security check? Does it open throughout the night?

The better question is "Does it open at all?"