International Transit at CGK

Old Jul 7, 19, 5:38 am
Original Poster

International Transit at CGK

I'm thinking of booking two separate tickets involving an international transit in CGK: arriving with SQ from SIN, continuing with MH to KUL. 2h transfer time (arriving at 7am, continuing at 9am), separate tickets, hand baggage only.

I've read horror stories about the transit in CGK but in the recent years it seemed to improve. Does anyone have recent experiences with an airside transit?. Both SQ and MH operate from Terminal 2 in CGK, so no terminal change is required. Will a mobile boarding pass for the MH flight be sufficient to get to the departure area without going through the immigration?
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIN and KUL are close together, there are many flights, and fares are cheap. What compels you to make it into an expensive and time consuming exercise?
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I will not start in SIN but only transfer in SIN coming from Europe, in my case the fares to CGK (over SIN) are much cheaper than to KUL.

Anyway that was not my question. Could someone comment on recent experiences with international transit in CGK? Is there a transfer desk to get the boarding pass for the MH flight? Do they accept mobile boarding passes? How complicated and time consuming is it?
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: asia miles
Few years ago, I flew SIN-JKT on AF and connecting JKT-KUL on KL. Separate tickets and hand luggage only. On arrival in JKT there was a kind of booth for transfer. I asked the lady there and after a few phone calls she took my passport and came back 20 mins later with my boarding pass and I was sent directly back to the departure level. I donít know if it is still the same today but it was possible. Just had to convience a bit the staff to check as her first reaction was ďno can doĒ.
but worse to worse if you donít need a visa for Indonesia, 2 hours. Should be no problem to go landslide to check in if no checked luggage, provided you inbound flight is on time

Last edited by blandy62; Jul 7, 19 at 6:08 pm
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: LA Platinum (OWS), DL Platinum (ST+)
Originally Posted by blandy62 View Post
Few years ago, I flew SIN-JKT on AF and connecting JKT-KUL on KL. Separate tickets and hand luggage only. On arrival in JKT there was a kind of booth for transfer. I asked the lady there and after a few phone calls she took my passport and came back 20 mins later with my boarding pass and I was sent directly back to the departure level. I donít know if it is still the same today but it was possible. Just had to convience a bit the staff to check as her first reaction was ďno can doĒ.
but worse to worse if you donít need a visa for Indonesia, 2 hours. Should be no problem to go landslide to check in if no checked luggage, provided you inbound flight is on time
I just did this end of April. KL to GA, and had checked bags that were checked all the way thru, but separate tickets. Same as above, it took a few phone calls and 20 min. waiting but once the immigration person came back with my passport, I was good to go. You should be fine.
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:04 am

SQ and MH is now on Terminal 3.
If there's no problem on incoming flight, I think it's doable, but if it were me, I'll try to make a slightly longer connection. I never connect int/int in CGK, but I figure it must be simple enough.
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:34 am

Programs: TK *G, UA, AS
I did this in Terminal 3 in May, arriving on SQ and departing on TK. It turned out to be incredibly quick and easy, even with checked baggage. The great ground staff in SIN were happy to tag my luggage to my final destination and print my onward TK boarding passes.

On the arrivals level, there is a transfer desk before passport control. I assume they can sort a boarding pass if you don't already have one, but they just pointed me to the one immigration agent standing at the podium nearby. He looked at my passport and boarding pass, checked it against a printed list, and then waved me through to the escalator. There is a deserted security checkpoint at the top of the escalator, and behind that is the departures gates. The entire transfer process took about 5 minutes.

On the return journey, I had checked in online for the SQ flight departing CGK, but I was unable to get a printed boarding pass. The electronic copy on my phone (not a true mobile boarding pass in the SQ app, but rather the emailed PDF that you are supposed to print at home) was fine for the immigration agent at the transfer podium. The guys at the security checkpoint seemed skeptical at first, but they decided it was OK after talking among themselves for a few seconds.

In both cases, I did go early to the gate for my departing flight, show the agents my luggage claim check, and reconfirm that they knew I was in the departure area.
Pinni likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for sharing the experience, very helpful!
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CM Pres Plat., HHonors Diamond, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by ASELdriver View Post
I did this in Terminal 3 in May, arriving on SQ and departing on TK. It turned out to be incredibly quick and easy, even with checked baggage. The great ground staff in SIN were happy to tag my luggage to my final destination and print my onward TK boarding passes.

On the arrivals level, there is a transfer desk before passport control. I assume they can sort a boarding pass if you don't already have one, but they just pointed me to the one immigration agent standing at the podium nearby. He looked at my passport and boarding pass, checked it against a printed list, and then waved me through to the escalator. There is a deserted security checkpoint at the top of the escalator, and behind that is the departures gates. The entire transfer process took about 5 minutes.

On the return journey, I had checked in online for the SQ flight departing CGK, but I was unable to get a printed boarding pass. The electronic copy on my phone (not a true mobile boarding pass in the SQ app, but rather the emailed PDF that you are supposed to print at home) was fine for the immigration agent at the transfer podium. The guys at the security checkpoint seemed skeptical at first, but they decided it was OK after talking among themselves for a few seconds.

In both cases, I did go early to the gate for my departing flight, show the agents my luggage claim check, and reconfirm that they knew I was in the departure area.
I was just wondering if you had to pick up the luggage at CGK? I'm doing Europe-CGK on TK and then CGK-SIN on SQ in December, all on one ticket ticket though, presumably with luggage check though to final destination
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:58 pm

Programs: TK *G, UA, AS
Originally Posted by swaigiux View Post
I was just wondering if you had to pick up the luggage at CGK? I'm doing Europe-CGK on TK and then CGK-SIN on SQ in December, all on one ticket ticket though, presumably with luggage check though to final destination
No, my luggage was tagged to my final destination in both directions, so I did not have to claim it in CGK. I had separate tickets (SQ and TK), so I expect you will have no trouble on a single ticket.

I've departed a few TK outstations in Europe with self-connections on separate tickets, both TK-TK and TK-SQ. The ground staff have always managed to tag the luggage through to my final destination, even if they can't print boarding passes. It always took them extra time, and occasionally required them calling for help, so I would suggest to arrive a bit earlier than usual to get that done without stress.

Departing SIN, on the other hand, the ground staff always seem to know exactly how to do it. I wouldn't suggest to arrive any earlier than usual there.
swaigiux likes this.

Search this Thread