Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

2 separate tickets - Can boarding pass of 2nd trip be issued with the first trip's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 separate tickets - Can boarding pass of 2nd trip be issued with the first trip's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Transiting with 2 different PNRs. No checked in luggage. I understand in normal circumstance, if you have 2 separate PNRs, you are not considered a fly through passenger, thus having to clear immigration and check in at the check-in desk just like someone who is coming to the airport from within the city. And if you are transiting on a single PNR then you are considered a fly through passenger. My question is, what if you came in with a boarding pass (not online check in) to your 2nd destination. Can a boarding pass be issued for 2 different PNRs at the firs airport?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Depends on which airlines, which connections, which routings,
Cannot answer without details.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Might be helpful to know the countries involved as well...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CX is often fine with what I think the OP's describing. E.g. HKG-TPE + TPE-HKG-JFK
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001

Might be helpful to know the countries involved as well...
Sorry
Ticket 1: HNL (Hawaii, USA) > KLIA (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
Ticket 2: KLIA > DMK (Bangkok, Thailand)

The flight to bangkok is 24h later (No problem. I can stay at the airport, catch up on some work on my computer). Online you can check in 14 days in advance. Airline is airasia. Want to get a boarding pass at the first airport instead of online in order to get the document-check out of the way so i can be that much closer to being treated like a legitimate fly through passenger. Goal is not to go through immigration because a visa in advances is required.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
You say both flights are on AirAsia.

Just note that the HNL-KUL flight is operated by AirAsiaX (D7), whereas KUL-DMK could be operated by either Air Asia (AK) or Thai Air Asia (FD).

You'd need to check which terminal the D7 flights arrives into, and which terminal the AK/FD flight departs from. If they are the not the same, then you'll need to check what the inter-terminal processes are and whether that might involve having to pass immigration etc.

Others here may know, or you might try asking a specific question on the MH board.

Edited to add:
If you arrive at KLIA and depart KLIA2, then it seems you will need to go through immigration:
http://www.klia2.info/news/2018/trav...ance-in-future
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTo...rsekutuan.html

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: add more info
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:47 pm

If you are on 2 separate reservations, and require a visa for Malaysia, there is a very good chance you will not be permitted to board the first flight in HNL without a visa.

Usually the LCCs do not have facilities in the transit area, and you would have to check-in at the landside counter, which means clearing immigration.
I suggest you check very clearly with your airlines before purchasing these tickets.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You say both flights are on AirAsia.

Just note that the HNL-KUL flight is operated by AirAsiaX (D7), whereas KUL-DMK could be operated by either Air Asia (AK) or Thai Air Asia (FD).

You'd need to check which terminal the D7 flights arrives into, and which terminal the AK/FD flight departs from. If they are the not the same, then you'll need to check what the inter-terminal processes are and whether that might involve having to pass immigration etc.

Others here may know, or you might try asking a specific question on the MH board.

Edited to add:
If you arrive at KLIA and depart KLIA2, then it seems you will need to go through immigration:
Travellers using KLIA, KLIA2 to have faster immigration clearance in future | Malaysia Airport KLIA2 info
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTo...rsekutuan.html
Hey Thai-Kiwi! Both are same terminal.

If you are on 2 separate reservations, and require a visa for Malaysia, there is a very good chance you will not be permitted to board the first flight in HNL without a visa.

Usually the LCCs do not have facilities in the transit area, and you would have to check-in at the landside counter, which means clearing immigration.
I suggest you check very clearly with your airlines before purchasing these tickets.
Hey IluvSQ. They do have a facility apparently. AirAsia Fly-Thru Service | Malaysia Airport KLIA2 info
Normally, it's for fly through passengers - meaning 1 pnr. Technically though, the pnr number would be the only thing that would be different between a transit passenger on 1 pnr and one who is on the same journey but with 2 pnrs.

This is for DMK, but should be a similar layout at KLIA2.

Last edited by skyway; Nov 14, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:55 pm

see on the link you provided:

No immigration clearance in Malaysia and exemption of airport tax at transit hub.

Note: Applicable only for international transfers with a maximum stop-over of 6-hours in Malaysia. Click here for more details.

You are looking for 24 hours.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

see on the link you provided:

No immigration clearance in Malaysia and exemption of airport tax at transit hub.

Note: Applicable only for international transfers with a maximum stop-over of 6-hours in Malaysia. Click here for more details.

You are looking for 24 hours.
On airasia website, it says 2-something hours. CS say "it depends". So, yeah
Anyway, is a boarding pass at first point feasible?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by skyway
On airasia website, it says 2-something hours. CS say "it depends". So, yeah
Anyway, is a boarding pass at first point feasible?
Why not just get a transit visa? Even if your plan was viable, spending 24 hours in the terminal is not fun.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: asia miles
Air Asia will not issue you the boarding pass for your second segment, unless it is on one PNR. Now if you don't have the visa, you take the risk that they just deny boarding in HNL.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:49 am

To the OP, you asked a question if what your were planning to do was possible.
To sum up, you have been told it is not possible.
Instead of arguing with us, or defending yourself, I suggest you just prepare for the worst case scenario:.
what you will do if denied boarding at HNL?

Last edited by IluvSQ; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

To the OP, you asked a question if what your were planning to do was possible.
To sum up, you have been told it is not possible.
Instead of arguing with us, or defending yourself, I suggest you just prepare for the worst case scenario:.
what you will do if denied boarding at HNL?
Whaaat??? Argue with you....AND being defensive? When did that happen?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by skyway
Whaaat??? Argue with you....AND being defensive? When did that happen?
He wasn't attempting to argue with you. Rather, he was advising you to prepare for the worst because there's a decent chance you won't be permitted to leave HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.