Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at CMB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Transit at CMB

We have an overnight at CMB in a few weeks time and have received ETA transit visas - can anyone shed a little light on the immigration process on arrival? Is our information all on the system, connected to passport details and we just go through normal channels, or do we need to go to a special transit desk to be processed?

Sri Lankan have booked us into the Ramada Katunayake and I thought I read they provided a pick up/shuttle service from arrivals... Is this the case? Has anyone stayed at this place? Was just wondering whether to book somewhere nicer as its the last night of our holidays.

I have emailed Sri Lankan asking for more info but thought I would get a quicker response here! Travelling with two small children and first time at CMB so would like to go as prepared as possible, thanks in advance for any information.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
You go through the normal channel for immigration if I recall correctly. It's an eVisa, so your information is already in their computer. It took us literally like 2 minutes to get stickered and stamped in and on our way. Of course the actual queue could be long at some times of day.

How long is your layover? There is a hotel inside the airport as well that takes reservations. If you're going all the way downtown, I stayed in the Hilton and it was very good. Wasn't expensive when we were there, think under $100 for a night.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
We have an overnight at CMB in a few weeks time and have received ETA transit visas - can anyone shed a little light on the immigration process on arrival? Is our information all on the system, connected to passport details and we just go through normal channels, or do we need to go to a special transit desk to be processed?

Sri Lankan have booked us into the Ramada Katunayake and I thought I read they provided a pick up/shuttle service from arrivals... Is this the case? Has anyone stayed at this place? Was just wondering whether to book somewhere nicer as its the last night of our holidays.

I have emailed Sri Lankan asking for more info but thought I would get a quicker response here! Travelling with two small children and first time at CMB so would like to go as prepared as possible, thanks in advance for any information.
I have just flown this exact itinerary.

In addition to what has just been mentioned by dvs7310, you just need to go to the visa desk if you haven't arranged visas in advance (which you already have).

Upon arrival in CMB, proceed straight to the transit desk, where you will be given the hotel voucher for your hotel, the Ramada Deluxe Katunayake. Then proceed to immigration, and after that, go down to the baggage hall and exit customs. At the arrival hall after customs, you will find a Colombo Stopover desk. There, hand the voucher to the desk personnel, and he/she will arrange transport for you (sometimes in a shared hotel mini-bus, sometimes in a private car - the latter is more likely if you're booked in J). You will be given a smaller, written voucher which you should keep. You will be told to wait in the seating area, where after 5-10 minutes, you will be called and brought to the pick-up area and handed to the driver.

After my experience staying at the Ramada (courtesy of SriLankan), I would say that it is definitely not something to be writing home about. It was a clean and just okay hotel, that is getting very old. If you want to spend your time at a nicer place and area, I would recommend to book yourself into a nicer hotel in Negombo. I would not personally book myself into the Ramada, but I guess it was just fine for an 8 hour layover in Sri Lanka. Staff were were friendly though, as is the case with many people we met during our layover in Sri Lanka.

There is nothing within the walking distance in the area of the Ramada, with the exception of a small Buddhist Temple and some porcelain shops and small food stalls. Note that the Ramada is located in Seeduwa. It is monsoon season right now, and there is little opportunity to walk around unless you want to get drenched. We were offered tours of Negombo by the hotel staff for around 4000 LKR (~£19), but declined, given the thunderstorm outside.

Interestingly, the food (included in your reservation) at the hotel's sole restaurant was surprisingly pretty decent, especially if you stick to local cuisine.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Many thanks for both of you taking the time to respond and in such detail. Answers all my questions!

I have gone ahead and booked the Taj Gateway which seems a few steps above the ramada. Bit snobbish for a 6pm-11am transit but coming back from the Maldives, would be a shame to have a sub standard last night for the sake of $100.

I heard there was a seperate check in terminal for J pax at CMB but it wasn't relevant for transit pax, is that correct?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Many thanks for both of you taking the time to respond and in such detail. Answers all my questions!

I have gone ahead and booked the Taj Gateway which seems a few steps above the ramada. Bit snobbish for a 6pm-11am transit but coming back from the Maldives, would be a shame to have a sub standard last night for the sake of $100.

I heard there was a seperate check in terminal for J pax at CMB but it wasn't relevant for transit pax, is that correct?
I think what you heard may be CMB's Silk Route service or something. It's not a separate terminal per se, but is a separate entrance and check-in and entrance within the terminal it self. I found it to be completely useless when I used it, given how the normal entrance is hardly crowded. The only perk of using it is just having to go through two of the usual three security checks at Bandaranaike (usually, there's one at the entrance, then another at the entrance to the check-in desks).

It's irrelevant per se, given how you don't need to check-in as a transit passenger (as was myself). Yet, I could see it having some uses for people starting their journey in CMB.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:41 pm

I have always been dropped off at the Silk Road entrance by the limo driver when I have stayed in the free transit hotel. They know which class you are flying in. It does seem to save some time - particularly if the driver gets you there before the main check-in opens, which they like to do - and it is certainly more pleasant than the main check-in.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
On Dec 16th I fly into CMB on UL 220 at 23:45 in V class. The next morning out to Kochi at 7:30 on UL 165 in V class.
Based on this info, am I eligible for overnight complementary hotel accomodation? Please advise as I could not find info on the UL website.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
On Dec 16th I fly into CMB on UL 220 at 23:45 in V class. The next morning out to Kochi at 7:30 on UL 165 in V class.
Based on this info, am I eligible for overnight complementary hotel accomodation? Please advise as I could not find info on the UL website.
Seeing the flight combination possibilities from Doha to Kochi on UL on Dec 16, I'm afraid, as far as I know, you won't be eligible for complimentary hotel accommodation, as there exists a shorter connection on the same day (UL218 to UL165) with a 3h55m connection in CMB.

See clause 2 on UL Website (https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/plan...-accommodation)

2. Passengers are eligible for this service only if they do not have a connection of less than 8 hours available. Passengers will not be eligible for this service when there are connections for the same sector with transit time less than 8 hours in Colombo.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:06 pm

Thank you for this info. I guess I can grab a snooze in their lounge - think they have nap rooms in their lounge 😉
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:18 pm

Thank you for this info. I guess I can grab a snooze in their lounge - think they have nap rooms in their lounge 😉
Unfortunately, I’m afraid you might have some problems entering either of the Sri Lankan lounges...

If the infomation on the OW website and the BA forum is accurate, Elites flying on short-haul Y will not have acess to the Serenediva Lounge, whereas additionally, Elites do not have access to the better Serendib Lounge (with nap rooms) regardless which route theyre flying in Y.

BA Gold, not allowed in Colombo lounge
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/CMB/-1

this is very stingy on Sri Lankan’s part, and I myself would be appalled to find that to be the case.

I think it may be a good idea to look at alternative, more comfortable overnight options... the hotels, even the nicest ones, surrounding BIA can be relatively cheap...

Last edited by clubeurope; Jun 27, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:59 am

According to the link provided, OW Sapphire has access to the Serendiva UL lounge. I shall see what happens when I try to gain access. Otherwise a nearby hotel, perhaps ...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:27 am

According to the link provided, OW Sapphire has access to the Serendiva UL lounge.
OW Sapphire does indeed grant access to the Serenediva Lounge, but there's more information in the additional details:
Due to the ongoing development of facilities at Bandaranaike International Airport, SriLankan Airlines Flysmiles Platinum and Gold and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire status customers traveling in Economy Class cabins on long and medium haul flights are invited to use the Serendiva Lounge
Kochi, being a 1h15m flight doesn't qualify as a medium-haul flight.

As much as I enjoyed my flights on UL, I find many of their policies confusing... and certainly find this one very bizarre. I did not see any visible development of facilities at BIA during my time there, and I don't get how these are supposed to disrupt the operation of lounges.

You can always try, but don't count on it. Unfortunately, they seem to enforce their absurd rule, as confirmed by the lovely people at the BA forum on the thread I mentioned above.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:46 pm

Another plan.....
My friend is also BAEC Silver and is flying EK DXB-MEL today (June 29th). She has a Priority Pass to gain access to a lounge in both DXB today, and MEL on her return flight in August. Great workaround. She took EK over QF because of scheduling, yadda. So, with her workaround in mind ...

I just checked and there are 2 different Priority Pass accessible lounges at CMB. So, I don't need to leave the airport and stay in a hotel for a few hours. My Priority Pass still has a number of visits before it is "used up". A cheaper and more convenient workaround.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:41 am

Another plan.....
My friend is also BAEC Silver and is flying EK DXB-MEL today (June 29th). She has a Priority Pass to gain access to a lounge in both DXB today, and MEL on her return flight in August. Great workaround. She took EK over QF because of scheduling, yadda. So, with her workaround in mind ...

I just checked and there are 2 different Priority Pass accessible lounges at CMB. So, I don't need to leave the airport and stay in a hotel for a few hours. My Priority Pass still has a number of visits before it is "used up". A cheaper and more convenient workaround.
I'm glad to know you have alternative plans!

Safe travels,

clubeurope
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Just got this info from UL in response to my inquiry about lounge accessibility whild flying thru CMB in V class:
"Greetings from FlySmiLes, the Frequent Flyer program of SriLankan Airlines.
Please be informed that you can use any of the One World lounges in the Bandaranayake international Airport.
But note that it depend on the availability.
Should you have further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us at (+94 19733 3333). Our lines are open Mondays to Sundays, including Public Holidays."

So, this direct information from Sri Lankan FlySmiles Member Services contradicts the experiences/advice of other FT contributors to this thread. Naturally, I will have a copy of their email, as well as my PriorityPass card 😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.