Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SriLanka Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

SriLanka Airlines

Planning to fly Kuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi Business Class in near future. Sri Lanka Airlines are around 50% less than Malaysia/Omani/Etihad so seriously considering. Not direct but stop over time in Columbo acceptable.
Anyone used them on this route ?
Notice on looking at flight details that one of legs is shown as Airbus 321 Sharklets - what is "Sharklets" ?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: asia miles
it is just a special type wingtip on the A320 family
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Many people have flown on Sri Lankan Airlines. It is a fine product, no complaints. Sharklets are newer winglets for the A320 family. They are quite a bit taller than the older ones.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I fly UL in Business class (round trip) often: DOH-CMB-KUL or DXB-CMB-KUL. Convenient to stop at the CMB lounge. Very cost effective, but the prices have gone up since I started this route in 2011.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I flew LHR-CMB-KUL in business. If I get a chance I'd do it again. Stopover time was 12 hours going out and 22 hours (overnight) coming back. I was provided with hotel, transfers and meals which worked for me as I got to see Colombo and Negombo for free.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by jahason
I flew LHR-CMB-KUL in business. If I get a chance I'd do it again. Stopover time was 12 hours going out and 22 hours (overnight) coming back. I was provided with hotel, transfers and meals which worked for me as I got to see Colombo and Negombo for free.
They seem to suggest that you have to somehow find a local ticket office to arrange for the hotel beforehand nowadays? Did you have that problem when you did your flight?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
No, all I had to do was go to Sri Lankan counter just after customs and present myself with my boarding pass for onward flight and passport. I waited maybe 30 minutes while they sorted out hotel and transfer. And then I was off. I did not need to pay for my visa either. I got a free transit visa.

This was almost two years ago though. Not sure if anything has changed since.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tuanton
Planning to fly Kuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi Business Class in near future. Sri Lanka Airlines are around 50% less than Malaysia/Omani/Etihad so seriously considering. Not direct but stop over time in Columbo acceptable.
Anyone used them on this route ?
Notice on looking at flight details that one of legs is shown as Airbus 321 Sharklets - what is "Sharklets" ?
Google is your friend. Google has a good description of what they are and what they do.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tuanton
"Sharklets" ?
Too bad they didn't get the type with "freaking lasers". Those would be so much better.

/sarcasm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm flying CGK-CMB-DXB in business next month, with a 70 minute connection in CMB (all 1 ticket).

If I happen to miss the connection because of late arrival into CMB, does anyone know if UL would be willing to put me on another airline for the flight to DXB, as the next UL flight would be about 16 hours later?

I'd even be willing to pay for a one-way ticket CMB-DXB on another airline, if UL didn't cancel my return flights DXB-CGK.

Last edited by Grace B; Apr 29, 2018 at 1:29 am
Old May 2, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Yes they do Grace. I missed my connections on UL due to their late in bound and they put me on EK.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dav662
Yes they do Grace. I missed my connections on UL due to their late in bound and they put me on EK.
This was recently ?
Old May 4, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by quarryking
This was recently ?
No, this was late last year. If you are flying business class and if you insist at the Transfer Desk in CMB normally they will put you on an alternate flight.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by dav662
No, this was late last year. If you are flying business class and if you insist at the Transfer Desk in CMB normally they will put you on an alternate flight.
What do you think would happen if I got to CMB late. Inbound and Outbound were on SriLankan, but two separate tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.