Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is Fiji Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:09 pm
Suspended

All airlines have problems when aircraft goes u/s

Do you seriously think qantarse has aircraft sitting around just in case.

if a busy route such as sydlax airlines have arrangments with all other airlines & try to put pax on them. Fiji air codeshares with qantarse air nz & American air. +qantarse owns 46% of fiji air. This gives them many options but have seen many fiji sir pax put on ua out of Sydney when fiji air overbooked
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What is qantarse air?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffay005
What is qantarse air?
Australias most overpriced airline
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
I’m not sure what I think of Fiji Airways.

I don’t think I would trust them if anything out of the ordinary happened.
  • Checked-in in Apia for my APW-NAN-AKL flights (with a 2h 40m transit in NAN) at 3pm. The ground handling agents couldn’t check me in all the way because check-in hadn’t opened for the 2nd sector and asked me to wait for a while. 20 minutes later, the mystery was solved. My flight from NAN-AKL had been delayed by 6.5 hours till 3am. My layover changed from 2h 40m to 9h 10m. Bag tagged and BP issued only to NAN and told to sort myself out there. They said they didn’t know the reason for the delay.
  • I asked if I could be transferred to the nonstop APW-AKL flight on Air NZ departing at around 8pm but they said that as Polynesian Airlines employees and with no one from Air NZ nor FJ in APW, nothing could be done. They then went for their smoke break in front of the counters even though check-in was still open.
  • Flight ex-APW was delayed by an hour as some heavy rain descended upon APW as we waited in the departure hall. No reason given. Found out on board that the plane couldn’t land in the bad weather and had to circle. Would’ve been nice to know while waiting. There is no WiFi available at the new Apia terminal at all and the gate is so echoey that announcements were hard to hear.
  • 737-800 was rather tatty but had an excellent male FA who stood out from an average bunch. Hot sandwiches and free-flow wine offered along with the cutest pillows with FJ prints on board.
  • Arriving in Nadi at 6:50PM and thinking that I’d be accommodated in a hotel was when they got really incompetent.
  • Departure time had changed again to 1:30AM which meant that my delay was shortened. At the FJ Service Desk in the check-in hall, was nonchalantly told to come back at 9:30PM for check-in.
  • I then asked for some form of compensation/accommodation. Only then did they give me a reason - it was weather and not their fault. We only get meal vouchers and only then were they offered. I had to ask for a letter stating the delay (for travel insurance purposes) even though they had a stack of prepared letters sitting on their desk. Just hand the stuff over, will ya?
  • Service Desk agent seemed deeply-offended and rather indignant that I’d ask for anything at all. Shouted frustratedly that what she had said is so simple and asked why I didn’t understand her. Yikes. She basically just wanted me to go away. I’d spoken to her very calmly and there were only a few of us at the check-in desk with several free agents standing around.
  • It was now 7:25PM. I then spied on the boards an AirNZ flight that was leaving at 8:40PM. I asked for a transfer to that flight, if possible.
  • Agent made a spurious claim that she had just sent three passengers over and NZ had informed her that they are now closed.
  • I didn’t believe her so I left my passport with her and walked 3 counters over to AirNZ. AirNZ welcomed me with open arms. They were only 2/3 full and were obviously still open as it was more than an hour before departure. They didn’t know why FJ didn’t want to send anyone over. I finally found out more about the bad weather. A cyclone was approaching Fiji and was predicted to hit in the morning. The ladies at AirNZ couldn’t understand why FJ wouldn’t want to get as many people out of the country ASAP.
  • The AirNZ agents spoke/signaled to the FJ agent and I was transferred in a jiffy. I was even offered a choice of seats and invited to the NZ lounge. No meals onboard were guaranteed as it was close to departure. Once everything was settled, the FJ agent had the gall to give me a thumbs up as I walked past her counter. I rolled my eyes internally.
  • At said counter were a group of travelers being told the same story. One of them looked at me and said, “He got on?” I quickly told them to just head to AirNZ and ask to get on.
  • I was always civil with the FJ agent ‘cos I was aware of the power she had in transferring me over to NZ yet she was so rude. And she lied to my face.
  • Why did APW send their passenger into a cyclone? The AirNZ flight from APW-AKL was still available for sale.
  • Why wouldn’t FJ want to send their passengers out of the country if a cyclone was approaching? What if bad weather cancelled the delayed flight? They would’ve had to look after a transit hall filled with stranded passengers.

Therefore, I’m not sure whether I like Fiji Airways very much. They have cute pillows though.

pigzilla likes this.

Last edited by marcelduchamp; Apr 15, 2018 at 1:11 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Can I get my seat assignments online or do I need to call? Are there any preferred seats in business for two people? Their website says you can pick seats online. However, there is no link to do so when I enter my booking. Do I have to be within a certain number of days in advance to do so?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can I get my seat assignments online or do I need to call? Are there any preferred seats in business for two people? Their website says you can pick seats online. However, there is no link to do so when I enter my booking. Do I have to be within a certain number of days in advance to do so?
think if you booked with airline direct you can do seating online (but that will probably cost you more than thru a travel agent or wholesaler).

Otherwise simply phone them, it's a free call.

Row 1 is probably the best, but having flown them a few times up front, it probably doesn't really matter where you sit, there are only 4 rows in business.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You should be able to select seats online through 'manage your booking'. This should be under the tab 'Additional Services', where you should usually find a further selection to select seats or request meals. If you are unable to find it, I suggest calling the airline.

In terms of desirable seats in the Business Cabin, I would actually prefer seats in the 2nd or 3rd row, and not in the bulkhead. Non-bulkhead rows have more storage places for small items, and also allows under-seat storage inflight (the crew will insist that you place all your items in the overhead bins). Whilst some may find the bulkhead to be more spacious in leg room, I don't find it to be that beneficial unless you are travelling alone.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Flying Fiji on the A350 in Business Class as an AA Executive Platinum (Emerald) can one use the First Class Qantas lounge @ LAX ?

Fiji’s National Airline, is proud to announce that Business Class guests travelling out of, or through Los Angeles Airport (LAX) are set to receive another upgrade. From today, Fiji Airways’ Business Class and eligible Tabua Club passengers will have access to the stylish One World Lounge, located on Level 5 of the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
Access to the One World Lounge will be offered exclusively to Fiji Airways guests seated in Business Class and eligible Tabua Members. These guests may enter the lounge three (3) hours prior to their scheduled departure time and must be an adult over 21 years of age or accompanied by one. For more information about the amenities and location of the new lounge for Fiji Airways’ Business Class guests at LAX, please click here.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have had the " luck" of flying Fiji Airways. If I had a choice I will never fly but they have such a big monopoly there isn't too much of a choice. My flight got delayed too by more than a few hours. Transfer at MEL to CX. CX, very conveniently transferred to the next flight. Actually had a more than 2 and a half hours at MEL. Fiji airways didn't transfer my bags to CX in time. My transfer in HKG was cut short end obviously. I was worried about my bag
i was in business class all the way. One would expect that they would be a bit better. At Nadi they didn't even know what time the flight was going to depart. At the airport they are terrible too. The only positive was the lounge. They had good food
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Alaska Mixed Mileage Award and Club Entry

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Flying Fiji on the A350 in Business Class as an AA Executive Platinum (Emerald) can one use the First Class Qantas lounge @ LAX ?

Fiji’s National Airline, is proud to announce that Business Class guests travelling out of, or through Los Angeles Airport (LAX) are set to receive another upgrade. From today, Fiji Airways’ Business Class and eligible Tabua Club passengers will have access to the stylish One World Lounge, located on Level 5 of the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
Access to the One World Lounge will be offered exclusively to Fiji Airways guests seated in Business Class and eligible Tabua Members. These guests may enter the lounge three (3) hours prior to their scheduled departure time and must be an adult over 21 years of age or accompanied by one. For more information about the amenities and location of the new lounge for Fiji Airways’ Business Class guests at LAX, please click here.
So this won't work I'm sure, but I gave my son a Biz award on AS for Fiji LAX-NAN-SYD. Biz was only available NAN-SYD. He's in coach LAX-NAN. Stupid you might think, but no coach award was available.

So he will have a coach ticket LAX-NAN even though I paid Biz miles. Can he get into the Club? Or more to the point how do I get him into the Club. This rather irritates me actually, but after decades of a lot of air travel I'm used to irritation. Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
FIJI seems to have pretty low baggage allowances.
1. Any break for One World Elite - I can't see any
2. How serious are they about the one bag and 7kg (? maybe it's 8) carry on.
3. They don't seem to give an extra carry on for a CPAP medical device. I assume that's illegal fom LAX so it must be ok. How about when you change planes in NAN and get on the flight to Sydney? Problem??
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
FIJI seems to have pretty low baggage allowances.
1. Any break for One World Elite - I can't see any
2. How serious are they about the one bag and 7kg (? maybe it's 8) carry on.
3. They don't seem to give an extra carry on for a CPAP medical device. I assume that's illegal fom LAX so it must be ok. How about when you change planes in NAN and get on the flight to Sydney? Problem??
Yes - technically the LAX-NAN flight is not a TPAC flight that allows 2pcs of baggage as the flight does not cross the entire Pacific - hence the typical 1 bag limit. That said, I have never seen FJ enforce the 1 bag, 7KG carry on rule in Melbourne, Nandi, LAX or SFO.

It is a good airline with good people working the aisles. Check in people are another story.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
LAX One World lounge access

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

Thanks for sharing this; I found the link on Fiji's website, and the URL suggests that this is a 2017 development: https://www.fijiairways.com/en-us/ab...luxury-lounge/

Still, I wonder if access would be granted access during a layover when flying FJ from NAN to LAX, and then on American within the US. The word "through" suggests it should, but in the past, the LAX One World lounge has been known to restrict entry for people returning to LAX on OW international business class flights and continuing on AA domestically.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by needtoescape
Thanks for sharing this; I found the link on Fiji's website, and the URL suggests that this is a 2017 development: https://www.fijiairways.com/en-us/ab...luxury-lounge/

Still, I wonder if access would be granted access during a layover when flying FJ from NAN to LAX, and then on American within the US. The word "through" suggests it should, but in the past, the LAX One World lounge has been known to restrict entry for people returning to LAX on OW international business class flights and continuing on AA domestically.
That seems odd to me as I've never been on a business class of first class Int flight and been refused lounge entry ever
even if operated by a third party the airline partners with
As an Emerald One World member for just this year (Thank You Hyatt)and a lifetime Sapphire I would think I'm good if I end up flying them
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by davistev
Yes - technically the LAX-NAN flight is not a TPAC flight that allows 2pcs of baggage as the flight does not cross the entire Pacific - hence the typical 1 bag limit. That said, I have never seen FJ enforce the 1 bag, 7KG carry on rule in Melbourne, Nandi, LAX or SFO.

It is a good airline with good people working the aisles. Check in people are another story.
thanks. Carry on didn’t seem to be a problem. But I had a CPAP medical device as an extra. It was meant to be approved in NAN but they never got back to me. I kept on getting quizzed about 3 carry ons and the second I flashed the uncompleted paperwork they backed off with great deference as though I was the King or some Pacific Island or had Coronavirus. One 50lb checked bag was a real nuisance for a Oneworld Sapphire going on to Asia from Sydney. So I wasn’t annoyed but I wasn’t impressed either.

And then the FJ Club in NAN. My son who was in Biz on my miles came with me. I was in coach. So can I come in with him I asked. No. Oh why not? No guests. Well how about One World Saphire? No. XXXXing great. I’d had enough. I said to him “look you have a chance to make me happy and I’ll tell all my friends what a great Oneworld airline you are, or you can deny me entry and I will have great pleasure in trashing you while at the bar over the next hour on every website I can think of. Your choice. ... to his credit he said “come in Sir”. So I got a drink and calmed down from my horrible ugly American state. Then I realized I was entitled to enter - with my son I guess - as an Amex Pt with a Priority Pass card. So I went to see the guy and apologized for being an a/hole. Gave him the card. Thanked him. It’s ok Sir he said. I figured that one way or another you were entitled to be here and it’s our pleasure to have you here. The Fijians are just the greatest people. They are so nice. But I said to him “please put the squeeze on your managers to get this fixed. One World treats you guys as second class citizens, or vice verse. And all you succeed in doing is getting me to fly United.” He agreed. Of course he agreed. Staff on the airlines are always wonderful. Management less so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.