FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   How is Hainan airlines? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1683633-how-hainan-airlines.html)

jjoe123 May 29, 2015 10:55 am

How is Hainan airlines?

Hello,

I'm planning on flying from San Jose/SFO to Beijing. I've noticed there is a direct flight from SJC with Hainan airlines. I've never heard of this company. How are their flights? How are the planes (economy/business)? Is it safe to fly with them?

Thanks

moondog May 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jjoe123 (Post 24887721)
Hello,

I'm planning on flying from San Jose/SFO to Beijing. I've noticed there is a direct flight from SJC with Hainan airlines. I've never heard of this company. How are their flights? How are the planes (economy/business)? Is it safe to fly with them?

Thanks

The HNA Group is unorthodox, to say the least, but HU is actually a pretty decent operation. A career airline exec friend recently advised my boss (who was fearful of flying HU over an ocean) that he'd be foolish to fly a US carrier instead, given the fare differences.

BTW, we all know that the skytrax rating is bs, but they serve markets that nobody else does, are cheap, and have new planes.

mediator May 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjoe123 (Post 24887721)
Hello,

Thanks

HU is quite good and their planes are fairly new.

TennisNoob May 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Can't complain at all for the price and yes definitely I would take them over any U.S. Carrier.

jjoe123 May 30, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks

That helps, my current options are:
SJC-PEK HU economy (very cheap)
SJC-PEK HU Business 4000$
SJC-PEK AC (via Vancouver) Business for 2800$

I like AC (much better than UA), but a direct flight is a nice plus

TennisNoob May 30, 2015 11:09 am

Are those prices RT?

ShikaSenbei Jun 1, 2015 12:07 am

Do they serve Hainan chicken onboard? :D

moondog Jun 1, 2015 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei (Post 24899238)
Do they serve Hainan chicken onboard? :D

I've never seen it, and FWIW, I'm told (from multiple sources) that Hainan chicken was actually invented in Singapore. :D

YuropFlyer Jun 1, 2015 3:13 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 24899543)
I've never seen it, and FWIW, I'm told (from multiple sources) that Hainan chicken was actually invented in Singapore. :D

Did you watched the Tiger beer advertisement too much? :D

And yes, another vote for Hainan airlines. Totally fine. Would prefer them over any US carrier any day. And over most European carriers as well.

mediator Jun 1, 2015 9:44 am

Just like French Fries is actually invented in Belgium:D

TennisNoob Jun 1, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 24899606)
And yes, another vote for Hainan airlines. Totally fine. Would prefer them over any US carrier any day. And over most European carriers as well.

Better than LH? :)

ShikaSenbei Jun 1, 2015 7:02 pm

Really? I never knew that. But the only Hainan chicken I've ever had was in Hong Kong...go figure.

YuropFlyer Jun 2, 2015 1:38 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 24902669)
Better than LH? :)

YES! Definitely better than LH. The only European carrier which I would clearly prefer to HU is TK. (generally spoken..)

I don't know why many people still love LH, but even their new C product is sup-par to pretty much everyone else, and their Y seat is barely bearable. Not even to add that any short and mid haul flights are really terrible due to their seat. There are reasons why pretty much all growth within LH group has happened at LX, and not LH.. (not that LX is better in Y, or that their lounges are better or anything, they just don't have a huge line of inherited liabilities like LH..

payam81 Jun 5, 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 24905356)
YES! Definitely better than LH. The only European carrier which I would clearly prefer to HU is TK. (generally spoken..)

I don't know why many people still love LH, but even their new C product is sup-par to pretty much everyone else, and their Y seat is barely bearable. Not even to add that any short and mid haul flights are really terrible due to their seat. There are reasons why pretty much all growth within LH group has happened at LX, and not LH.. (not that LX is better in Y, or that their lounges are better or anything, they just don't have a huge line of inherited liabilities like LH..

People like LH, cause they are an old airline and consistently in the top 10 picks for safety ratings. To a lot of people flying isn't purely about the soft or hard product alone.

That said, I'm taking my own HU leg this summer. So far I am very impressed with their local office in YYZ. Very professional and helpful! We shall see how the flights go.

TennisNoob Jun 5, 2015 8:27 pm

HU is pretty appealing to newcomers though.

Cheap prices, great aircraft/apperance, new planes, up to par on seats, great pre-sales look, and makes many thing you'll get Hainan chicken ! :)