How is Hainan airlines?

Old May 29, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

How is Hainan airlines?

Hello,

I'm planning on flying from San Jose/SFO to Beijing. I've noticed there is a direct flight from SJC with Hainan airlines. I've never heard of this company. How are their flights? How are the planes (economy/business)? Is it safe to fly with them?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jjoe123
Hello,

I'm planning on flying from San Jose/SFO to Beijing. I've noticed there is a direct flight from SJC with Hainan airlines. I've never heard of this company. How are their flights? How are the planes (economy/business)? Is it safe to fly with them?

Thanks
The HNA Group is unorthodox, to say the least, but HU is actually a pretty decent operation. A career airline exec friend recently advised my boss (who was fearful of flying HU over an ocean) that he'd be foolish to fly a US carrier instead, given the fare differences.

BTW, we all know that the skytrax rating is bs, but they serve markets that nobody else does, are cheap, and have new planes.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jjoe123
Hello,

Thanks
HU is quite good and their planes are fairly new.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Can't complain at all for the price and yes definitely I would take them over any U.S. Carrier.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks

That helps, my current options are:
SJC-PEK HU economy (very cheap)
SJC-PEK HU Business 4000$
SJC-PEK AC (via Vancouver) Business for 2800$

I like AC (much better than UA), but a direct flight is a nice plus
Old May 30, 2015, 11:09 am

Are those prices RT?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Airplanes!
Do they serve Hainan chicken onboard?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
Do they serve Hainan chicken onboard?
I've never seen it, and FWIW, I'm told (from multiple sources) that Hainan chicken was actually invented in Singapore.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I've never seen it, and FWIW, I'm told (from multiple sources) that Hainan chicken was actually invented in Singapore.
Did you watched the Tiger beer advertisement too much?

And yes, another vote for Hainan airlines. Totally fine. Would prefer them over any US carrier any day. And over most European carriers as well.
HGHUA likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just like French Fries is actually invented in Belgium
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
And yes, another vote for Hainan airlines. Totally fine. Would prefer them over any US carrier any day. And over most European carriers as well.
Better than LH?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Really? I never knew that. But the only Hainan chicken I've ever had was in Hong Kong...go figure.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Better than LH?
YES! Definitely better than LH. The only European carrier which I would clearly prefer to HU is TK. (generally spoken..)

I don't know why many people still love LH, but even their new C product is sup-par to pretty much everyone else, and their Y seat is barely bearable. Not even to add that any short and mid haul flights are really terrible due to their seat. There are reasons why pretty much all growth within LH group has happened at LX, and not LH.. (not that LX is better in Y, or that their lounges are better or anything, they just don't have a huge line of inherited liabilities like LH..
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
YES! Definitely better than LH. The only European carrier which I would clearly prefer to HU is TK. (generally spoken..)

I don't know why many people still love LH, but even their new C product is sup-par to pretty much everyone else, and their Y seat is barely bearable. Not even to add that any short and mid haul flights are really terrible due to their seat. There are reasons why pretty much all growth within LH group has happened at LX, and not LH.. (not that LX is better in Y, or that their lounges are better or anything, they just don't have a huge line of inherited liabilities like LH..
People like LH, cause they are an old airline and consistently in the top 10 picks for safety ratings. To a lot of people flying isn't purely about the soft or hard product alone.

That said, I'm taking my own HU leg this summer. So far I am very impressed with their local office in YYZ. Very professional and helpful! We shall see how the flights go.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:27 pm

HU is pretty appealing to newcomers though.

Cheap prices, great aircraft/apperance, new planes, up to par on seats, great pre-sales look, and makes many thing you'll get Hainan chicken !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.