Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is AirAsia for weight of carry-on bags?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
As a general rule, expect them to be strict so you don't get screwed over with 3x the fee at the gate. Common sense for any LCC. Yes you CAN get away with it sometimes, but not always....and the time you get "caught" you pay WAY more for it than you originally had to.
Well, if it's 2x or 3x, that means if you can get away with it 1x or 2x then you have come out ahead
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:17 pm
Suspended

They do weight the carry-on at MFM

I recall they did weight my carry-on when I checked in for my boarding pass at MFM last year. They put a sticker tag on your carry-on bags if they passed. At the boarding area, the agent also randomly checked carry-on bags.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by transparent
Well, if it's 2x or 3x, that means if you can get away with it 1x or 2x then you have come out ahead
Are you sure? Throw the dice - it is YOUR money. Just like playing Russian Roulette. Like being a gambler are you telling us? If do, do you also run red lights at controlled intersections?

Or (perhaps) you are just thinking/speculating out loud?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Or a better answer: I'm a 34 year old man. Yes, I like to save money, but if I can't afford the 15$ for one bag, I shouldn't be on the trip. And yes, sure, it's 15$ that I'm paying and could be saving elsewhere for my trip, BUT then I'm also not paying 50$ because I wanted to risk it.

And then on the other hand.....it is only 15$ Yes, I know every country/person's idea of money is different, but to me, an American working in South Korea, 15$ is not that much overall.

And even think of it this way....I'm going to Japan next month. I am not checking a bag because ti's a weekend trip (and one bag is 30$, too high for such a short trip) and I don't have that much stuff...but sadly, no liquids can come back with us via Japan duty free. Sometimes you might want to, say , carry liquids.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Or a better answer: I'm a 34 year old man. Yes, I like to save money, but if I can't afford the 15$ for one bag, I shouldn't be on the trip. And yes, sure, it's 15$ that I'm paying and could be saving elsewhere for my trip, BUT then I'm also not paying 50$ because I wanted to risk it.

And then on the other hand.....it is only 15$ Yes, I know every country/person's idea of money is different, but to me, an American working in South Korea, 15$ is not that much overall. <snip>
Well, for me at least, it's not about the money, but I'm on Flyertalk to try and learn ways to get the most out of my miles/money when traveling. If I can avoid a $15-20 fee, why not? Especially since I think it's ridiculous to force people to check bags that will fit in the overhead (and when overhead bins are almost always 80% empty anyway on AirAsia flights). I'd almost rather pay a $5-10 carry-on fee instead of being forced to check, but that's another topic.

Originally Posted by Mama
I recall they did weight my carry-on when I checked in for my boarding pass at MFM last year. They put a sticker tag on your carry-on bags if they passed. At the boarding area, the agent also randomly checked carry-on bags.
Thank you, this is a useful data point. I have pre-purchased 20kg check-in allowance (that's the lowest on this sector, normally 15kg would suffice as my bag generally comes in at 12-13kg but that wasn't an option).

Originally Posted by tmac100
Are you sure? Throw the dice - it is YOUR money. Just like playing Russian Roulette. Like being a gambler are you telling us? If do, do you also run red lights at controlled intersections?

Or (perhaps) you are just thinking/speculating out loud?
I think this is a little dramatic-- it's far from Russian roulette. Maybe it's a little bit of a gamble, but it's nowhere near analogous to breaking traffic laws with safety consequences. It's more of an expected value play. If they only check occasionally, then you might get caught and forced to weigh your bag 1/5 flights. If they only charge you 2x as a penalty, then it's totally worth it to try and carry-on instead of pre-purchasing check-in allowance.

A better analogy is parking-- do you circle for 20-30 minutes looking for street parking and pay $5 for parking, or pay $15-20 in a parking lot, or chance parking illegally to run into a store for something? Well, if your chance is very low of getting a ticket (and such ticket is $60), it might be worth it to just run in vs. spending time/money parking legally.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
As always, transparent, it is your call. You asked for advice and I gave mine. Good luck with rolling your dice.

Let us know what happened + or -, please. Other inquiring minds may want to know what happened when "you rolled your dice".

Last edited by tmac100; Jan 16, 2018 at 1:19 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I travel with a full-size rollerboard with a backpack on top with a combined weight of roughly 15kg.

Out of 20 AirAsia segments over the last 2 years, I've only been caught once, in CGK. Some airports are easier than others, and there are tricks to get around the weighing in most cases.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: asia miles
from my own exprince, in KUL and DMK, they don't care, as long it respect the sixe. In HKG, they would weight your hand luggage at checkin but no check when boarding.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
As always, transparent, it is your call. You asked for advice and I gave mine. Good luck with rolling your dice.

Let us know what happened + or -, please. Other inquiring minds may want to know what happened when "you rolled your dice".
Will definitely report back, even though in this case I am not rolling any dice. One other data point for AirAsia flyers, I found that the prices went up when I searched for the flights I wanted, but didn't buy, and went back to search again like 15 minutes later. Kind of sneaky. An incognito window fixed that.

While I was asking specifically about MFM experiences, your perspective may be useful to others trying to determine whether to "roll the dice"
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Any experience with this flying out of HAN? I fly around Europe in various LCCs and never had my cabin luggage weighted. Is AirAsia generally more strict than European carriers?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:37 pm

I have an Osprey Porter 30 that can fit in the overhead compartment. I imagine they won't be strict with this when I make my connection at KUL correct?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Deafchick
I have an Osprey Porter 30 that can fit in the overhead compartment. I imagine they won't be strict with this when I make my connection at KUL correct?
In my experience (though limited compared to others here), if you can it on your back, they tend not to blink an eye. But if it looks ridiculously large, who knows, since it goes by weight. I have found that with backpacks like the Osprey (I have used others) you can probably get the weight to just about 7kg anyway which would mean they shouldn't make you check it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I have flown both Air Asia and Air Asia X a total of six or seven times over the past few years. In / through KUL/SIN/REP/DPS/CGK. Checked bags weight have been strictly enforced everywhere. We were off by a few pounds once and got whacked with very high fees...always book a little more than you need in advance. If not, at the airport you can get stuck for over $100. Carry-on have only been weighed once and that time was within the limits. I have been in other airports traveling other airlines (BKI and TWU) where it appeared as though Air Asia weighed all carry-on bags.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:40 am

I’ve flown Air Asia about half a dozen times and have never seen them weigh a carry-on, and have seen passengers carry on small roller boards, that are very likely well over the 7 KG limit.

That said, others have seen it happen, and it is a roll of the dice if you go to the airport heavy. The gate check fee is quite hefty.

I usually travel with a backpack with my clothes, iPad, and back up battery. I’ve discoverd the iPad and backup battery tend to push my weight over the top. So I ordered a ScottEVest travel hoodie for the trip I am currently on, that includes a Trans Atlantic flight on Wow. With the hoodie, I can wear my iPad, battery, and even an extra shirt or two so my backpack meets both the size and weight requirements with room to spare. I’m looking to pick up their featherweight travel vest for warm weather travel.

Also, the ScottEVest is just nice for the airport, a place for my passport, my phone, my plane ticket (which is awkward, too big for my pocket, but can disappear into my backpack), plus a couple of pen holders for filling out useless international arrival documents. I recieved mine in December, and since then have taken 5 flights and a long haul train trip, it is great!

Last edited by onuhistorian0116; Jan 27, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:12 am

As an update to MFM-- I prepaid for check-in luggage, but tried to carry-on anyway. Because my roller looked on the larger side, the check-in counter insisted on weighing. I had to check-in at the counter due to document check or something? I think if you didn't have to do that (e.g. mobile boarding pass or print-at-home), you could get away with it as I didn't see any weighing at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.