Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wandering_fred
'Upgrade' (or 'Get Upgraded' or 'Upgrade Yourself') is UL's implementation of Plusgrade's bid on an upgrade platform.
  • You can check if your itinerary is eligible for bidding on an upgrade (most are) on UL's website here, but it typically takes 24-48 hours after the ticket is issued for the itinerary to be in Plusgrade's system
  • You cannot bid for flights departing within 72 hours
  • Minimum bids are dynamically set based on various factors, and don't appear to change as you get closer to flight departure
  • Tip: If you're bidding the minimum, you should always make the bid in USD unless bidding in your home currency avoids credit card costs that are higher than the difference in pricing (see this post)
  • Bid amounts can be changed or withdrawn up to 72 hours from flight departure. It does not appear that you can update the credit card number
  • Accepted bids will be processed within the 72 hours window, generally prior to 40-48 hours to departure
  • If your bid is accepted:
    • The credit card will be charged
    • You will be rebooked in "I" class
    • You will receive an email notification from Plusgrade
    • You will receive an email with your new eTicket from the airline
  • Currently, your mileage accrual is based on the class you've been rebooked into, not the one from your original ticket
  • Please read UL's FAQs

{29 Mar 2017}
I ended up with an UL itinerary where the first flight was sold out. Seemingly as a result I did not receive an email suggesting I bid for an upgrade, even though the other flight was "open". I received a link from UL reservations which is a variation on the FAQ link (above), but allows you to enter the PNR and your name and it will bring up the bid-to-upgrade option.
Link to the PNR bid to upgrade option
Note: If you are using cut & paste - the upgrade page does NOT like leading or trailing blanks in the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Sri Lankan Airlines - upgrade yourself

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Flying LHR-CMB on Saturday night, showing as J3 on expertflyer, any thoughts on what might be needed?
Without being intentionally "cheeky", I would guess a lot of luck. This one route I would pay for the seat when buying the ticket for Fri/Sat/Sun travel. If bidding I would look at what UL are asking for the remaining seats compared with what they historically asked.

Just wandering

Fred
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
DOH-CMB $230 and CMB-BKK $130 were both accepted... these were both about $10 more than minimum bid and both on A330 which is worth it IMO.

I was happy as the Y fare DOH-CMB-BKK-SGN was only $375 last minute...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by raeray
Hi
Wondering if anyone can tell me about timing and re-bids on the upgrades.
I have searched quite a bit for this specific detail but unable to find anything so far -
1) Is there an optimal time to place the bid (besides the "bid by" and 'get accepted / confirmed by' cutoffs detailed on the Srilankan and other sites)?
e.g. If flying in Nov SIN-CMB-xxx R/T (south east asia) is there a better success rate now(Sep) or a specific time later?
2) Can you re-bid if your bid gets rejected at first? If so is there a limit on # of attempts?
Trying to figure out what makes sense - buying economy and bidding or paying outright for business!
only one chance...they don't inform you until 36-24 hrs prior to the flight. You can adjust your bid as you like before then. My one notification was at 24.5 hrs prior to flight.
raeray likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by entrada
Is there anyway to know (or make an educated guess) the minimum upgrade price BEFORE you actually purchase a ticket for a particular flight?

My specific interest is in a CMB-BKK flight in November. Business class is currently $352 one way while economy is $185.

Thanks
As min bid for this was $125, I think I would be buying Business if I were you...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by diamantaire
Hi just a question:

When I bid & get upgraded , do tier points in BAEC post of the ticketed cabin or of the upgraded cabin?

Thanx
just to confirm, bid made at 130 USD CMB-BKK on A321, accepted, TP and Avios on my BA account next wednesday.
I get in the Serendib lounge around 10 am, it was packed until 12:30-1 pm, almost no seats available.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by shimura
just to confirm, bid made at 130 USD CMB-BKK on A321, accepted, TP and Avios on my BA account next wednesday.
I get in the Serendib lounge around 10 am, it was packed until 12:30-1 pm, almost no seats available.
thanx for your reply but, eventually I flew paid J class.
Thought not the best trip or airline.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA | Marriott
Thanks for the contribution to the thread, appreciated.
I have a tricky issue here for the upgrade option. I have a company business trip oncoming and my flight was book with a coworker (under same PNR/book ref. no.).
I clearly can access to the PBR bid to upgrade page and make a bid for my flight, however it would be a bid for both ppl in the PNR (me and my coworker in the case).
Is there anything I can do to get it down for myself sneakily?
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:52 pm

Hi all,

My friend, who will be flying with Sri Lankan for the first time, wants to skip bidding the offer of first sector but want to bid the offer of second sector so how does that work? Should he put 'No offer' on the first sector and then bid $$$ for the second sector? Or should he wait until few days before the departure date of the second sector and then bid for the business upgrade? Please let me know so that I can let him know about it.

Thanks in advance. Your help is hugely appreciated!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:36 pm

Has anyone tried to upgrade on the new CMB-MEL route? Looks like it's the old A330-200, not 300, but still a long flight in coach so I'm considering bidding v. purchasing business outright. If someone has tried is there a better day of the week to target for the flight? My travel dates are flexible, looking to fly the week of Jan. 28-Feb. 4. Right now the coach seats are about $550 and business is about double at $1100. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:45 pm

Expert flyer is showing the I and D class fare buckets during that period as CLOSED. This is normally considered as a bad sign for upgrades. Obviously, things may change over the next 6+ weeks.

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by JohnK
Booked cheap flight HKG-BKK for 2 people early November and bid US100 each to upgrade to business class. Upgrade came through and there were still around 8 seats vacant.

I have only flown Sri Lankan airlines twice and both times in business class on this sector. Upgrade to business class for US100 is good value for money.
Im trying to bid KUL - MLE , but it keeps displaying 140 as the minimum, and thats on POOR on the scale hehe........any idea if Ill get it?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by mrx900
Im trying to bid KUL - MLE , but it keeps displaying 140 as the minimum, and thats on POOR on the scale hehe........any idea if Ill get it?
I suspect that KUL-MLE direct is on MH, for which the bidding (and results) is a different proposition to UL.
If on UL it would be two flight segments.

Just wandering
Fred
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I suspect that KUL-MLE direct is on MH, for which the bidding (and results) is a different proposition to UL.
If on UL it would be two flight segments.

Just wandering
Fred
thats exactly right...the segment is from KUL - CMB - MLE.....I was going to bid for the KUL-CMB which is like over 3 hrs.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:01 pm

UL seems to be getting a bit more selective on the shorter routes (BKK/KUL/SIN).
A check of your favorite availability display (ie ExpertFlyer etc) to judge the status of the flight would be a good start. The flight in the morning is likely to have fewer business seats available when compared to the mid-afternoon flight.
It also depends on whether crediting an I class UL flight (to your frequent flyer program of choice) will benefit the (re)qualification effort or not.
It is still un-proven whether the fare class of your economy ticket makes a difference in evaluating the upgrade bids. But then I fly R class on UL when I have a choice since that guarantees full credit to MPC/Asia Miles. I class (ie upgraded) would preferentially credit to QF.

Happy wandering
Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.