Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay, Malaysian or Singapore to park 250,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:40 pm
vpk
Original Poster

Programs: AYS, EBG, AAP, FB, CZ, AK
Cathay, Malaysian or Singapore to park 250,000 miles?

I am not sure if I pick up the right forum to my question....

I have almost 1M points on HSBC (Malaysia) credit card, which can be converted to Asia Miles (Cathay), Enrich (Malaysian) or KirsFlyer (Singapore) at 1:4 rate.

I plan to use them for travels from Penang, Malaysia (where all these arlines fly) to destinations within south-east Asia and to Australia or Europe. I have no experience how difficult/easy is to get award tickets on said airlines and if there is a big difference in fees incurred with award tickets.

I would appreciate if someone would like to their share experience or could point me in to right forum. Thank you.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are the points expiring soon or something? Most people wait until they have specific travel planned before transferring cc points into airline programs.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:37 pm

Easy. The answer is park them in MH -IF award space is the most critical item to you.

on MH Enrich, in Business, as long as you have D class revenue or L revenue in Economy - the redemption seat is yours at Saver (lowest) levels. You pay more for higher codes, but D and L are almost always available.

A similar (but not identical) scheme exists on Krisflyer, but you'll need X (in economy) and I (in business) to access these seats at saver levels. These aren't shared codes with revenue, which makes them harder to come by. Standard and Full awards book into codes shared with revenue classes but are very expensive.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Why don't you split half to MH and half to SQ
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
What class of service?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:28 pm

Can't you just leave the points where they are? Are they going to expire? I love Cathay but I wouldn't move unless you are absolutely sure you will be using, the points expire at some point. Not sure about Enrich or KrisFlyer.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:57 pm

I would make sure I know where I'm travelling to first before converting the points to miles... doing the reverse is a huge risk that I don't personally take.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I would make sure I know where I'm travelling to first before converting the points to miles... doing the reverse is a huge risk that I don't personally take.
+1 This was the point I was trying to convey in post #2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.