Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Vietnam Airlines

Apologies for this slightly off topic question, I'm looking to book a flight from Sin-Lon at Christmas and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this airline?

I'm trying in my mind to justify the extra S$700 to fly BA and the reviews online for VN Airlines are pretty awful (although how many people rate an airline if it's just been 'ok')?

Any real long haul experiences (at the back of the plane) appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Perhaps asking in the other Asian airlines forum might be a better option than asking on a board about another airline, which is based on a different continent?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Have flown domestic in business (Saigon-Da Nang) and flight was fine. Lounge was a bit grim as was SGN airport.

VN might be a good idea if you want to explore HCMC (Saigon) for a day or two. The airport is about 15-20 minutes from the centre of the city. You can walk around for a few hours, visit the Presidential Palace and Museum of war or if you have half a day to spare take a tour off Cu Chi tunnels (tour cost from hotel was about £15).

You will need a visa but I believe these are available on arrival for tourism only. However, you should check.

Vietnam is a fascinating place which doesn't want to forget their recent horrendous war and yet at the same time wants to move on and progress.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
My in-laws flew it recently in their Deluxe Economy and said it was really good, better than BA's WTP
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Have only flown Vietnam within Asia but they were pretty good
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moving over to the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lolbert
Have only flown Vietnam within Asia but they were pretty good
Can't understand all the 'good' reviews.

Vietnam Airlines is way below all the major Asian airlines; SQ, CX, TG, GA, MH etc etc
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
VN is improving overall and this is showing, I have flown countless flights with VN, domestically, short-haul and long-haul, they are perfect for short haul flights, on par with their neighbours (accept their staff may need abit more help but overall good and pleasant) with new aircrafts and clean cabins and comfortable seats. Long Haul, they can be a hit and miss, majority of the flights have been pleasant, mostly I have been on their newer A332's and they are great to fly on with new and comfortable seats in both C/J and Y.

Some of their 772's are just awful, dirty and cramped and need major refurbishment, although if your lucky you might end with their newer retro-fitted 772's (VN-A141 & VN-A142) which have the latest product. Also keep in mind that VN has recently changed their LGW schedules, some flights now funnel through FRA or CDG, just check your dates.

You can also clock some ST miles with VN sometimes if your lucky VN might just bump you up to Deluxe Economy!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by mario33
Can't understand all the 'good' reviews.

Vietnam Airlines is way below all the major Asian airlines; SQ, CX, TG, GA, MH etc etc
I think some of this is relative. Ie people have lower expectations of "commie", "third world" airlines and perhaps remember what they were like 20 years ago - and then notice that they are better than they feared.

I flew AF and VN a few times on CDG/SGN a few years back (in C) and whilst AF was better, VN stood up very well. Comparing EVA on TPE/SGN in C, EVA better. Comparing TG on BKK/SGN, TG better. But in both cases, VN was reasonable and probably better than LCC alternatives.

Years ago they had a 767 flying SGN/HAN. 1-2-2 configuration and 81" pitch in C. (I think it also flew internationally.) That was a bargain.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimbo99
I think some of this is relative. Ie people have lower expectations of "commie", "third world" airlines and perhaps remember what they were like 20 years ago - and then notice that they are better than they feared.
Fair enough, but they are not charging "commie" fares. And the manner their CEO recently brag about overtaking TG is quite comical ....

I wouldn't fly them internationally unless their fare is at least 30-40% cheaper than the other major carriers, however domestically within Vietnam there arent many options.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977

I'm trying in my mind to justify the extra S$700 to fly BA and the reviews online for VN Airlines are pretty awful (although how many people rate an airline if it's just been 'ok')?

Any real long haul experiences (at the back of the plane) appreciated.

Thanks in advance
IMHO VN is clearly better than BA. Better meals, better service, international transit at SGN airport is easy. Do yourself a favor and fly with VN. Or check prices for Economy Deluxe, that is one of the best Premium Economy products around - maybe this SGD 700 would buy you ED on VN?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Many thanks for the feedback.

I was largely concerned about whether VN would have an entertainment system / provide reasonable food/alcohol? One of my friends has just experienced United and told me of the horror of no personal entertainment system (down the back of the plane)!

That said, the VN flight is $700 cheaper than BA - same price as an IPAD. So maybe that is the answer, take the cheaper flight and get a free IPAD?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:18 am

VN Airlines connections through SGN and HAN are subjected to tropical weather, i.e. unexpected delay. There is no IFE and the food is Asian and subpar compares to SQ, CX, JL, etc. If your connection is less than 5 hours I would not even think about leaving the airport. I have a home in VN and go there often, mostly by CX and JL. VN flights are cheap but then you get what you paid for.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Vietnam Airlines

After earning over 70k miles in only 8 months with VN on just about every route imaginable, i can honestly say their service, product and pricing are a) not consistent, b) not to the same standard as TG, much less SQ (THE gold standard), and c) only worth a look if saving several hundred dollars is important to you and you do not have intentions to accrue pts/mileage with their program or ST.

Not to scare you or anything, last year I flew my wife, 16-month old son and myself from LAX-TPE-SGN where TPE-SGN was VN operated on an A330. I requested for a bassinet 3 months well in advance--never got it even though I'm elite plus on BOTH DL and VN plus I had purchased full Y fares...and just my kind of luck we finally got our seats in the tail along with the rest of the 10 screaming babies. My son's seat had electrical wires coming from the armrest. Apparently my armrest had no padding and my wife's seat was visibly warped as she couldn't lay back. Throughout all this the FAs simply said the flight was full and apologized for the inconvenience. Needless to say it was a tortuous 4 hrs....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.