FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   philippine airlines service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1220497-philippine-airlines-service.html)

westman May 29, 2011 12:58 am

philippine airlines service

Hey has anyone flown PR recently? what can we expect from this airline (business class) sydney/manila/Bangkok, return ie, which lounge's do they use in Sydney/Bangkok , what type of aircraft and level of service ect ,ect, should we expect
Any help would be good .
thanks westman.

jackylek May 29, 2011 2:20 am

Hi

Flew 4times this month with PR BKK-MNL on Business--- the AC was 319 and 330, service was excellent. They cabin keep the cabin only for C-pax and deny all Y pax to enter or using the WC. The seat on all flights was nice for this 3hours flight both ways, the lounge in Manila is not that nice, but in BKK PR use Thai Airways Lounge so this was nice.

Akiestar May 29, 2011 11:44 am

SYD-MNL uses PAL's new Boeing 777s.

As you can see in my signature, I'm very fond of PAL's in-flight service. :D

ACORD May 29, 2011 11:49 pm

I flew Manila Macau in J a couple of times this month on Airbus 320

Service and cabin is OK

The AVOD is a joke. Theay have AVOD but the selection of programs is terrible -- I think they were downloaded from youtube or something.

I noted the toilet rolls in the J lavs have PAL writen all over them to make sure they are not stolen!

Akiestar May 30, 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ACORD (Post 16471709)
The AVOD is a joke. Theay have AVOD but the selection of programs is terrible -- I think they were downloaded from youtube or something.

For a route as short as MNL-MFM (or even MNL-HKG), having many AVOD options probably would not be practical. I do think though that PAL has to contend with licensing issues for the contents of their AVOD systems, since perhaps they don't have enough money to invest in more AVOD content for short-haul aircraft, preferring instead to put that money in long-haul AVOD.

uammiler Jun 24, 2011 2:46 pm

I think you are correct, Akiestar. However, I've been flying the long haul PAL flights to MNL and have noticed that the AVOD options are increasingly featuring older movies, perhaps to save on licensing fees. Last week there were several Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings, and even some old movies from the 80s. I have to admit, though, that they were enjoyable as a "blast from the past." :p

Mabuk dan gila Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am

Originally Posted by uammiler (Post 16620403)
I think you are correct, Akiestar. However, I've been flying the long haul PAL flights to MNL and have noticed that the AVOD options are increasingly featuring older movies, perhaps to save on licensing fees. Last week there were several Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings, and even some old movies from the 80s. I have to admit, though, that they were enjoyable as a "blast from the past." :p

Speaking of PR and Harry Potter...... last time MNL-LAX I got the non-refurbished 747.... again. I did get op-uped though so I won't complain to much :D. Business class on the one non retrofitted 744 has PTV's but not AVOD. But on my business class seat the control was broken so my PTV was stuck, playing Harry Potter on a continuous loop,:eek: for 13 hours strait.:eek::eek:;) Fortunately I had my laptop loaded with movies and they plied me with alcohol and since it was a free op-up I will give them allot of extra latitude on a broken PTV, but otherwise I imagine many people could be driven quite insane by being trapped in a plane watching Harry Potter on a continuous loop for 13 hours strait.:D

rxziebel Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am

Recent PR 340 experiences?

Hi,

It has been over 1 year since my last trip LAS-MNL in business on PR. Anyone flown the route (or the plane type) recently? Specifically wondering if anything has changed with seats or entertainment.

BTW, the fares are still excellent! LAS-MNL in business for $2,900 compared to Delta with 2 connections for $4,300 or American with the same 2 connections as Delta but for $7,700! Must be the JAL segment on the AA trip. :D

Thanks

Akiestar Jun 27, 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 16633414)
Anyone flown the route (or the plane type) recently? Specifically wondering if anything has changed with seats or entertainment. s

As long as the Philippines is stuck in Cat II, MNL-LAS will continue to be operated using PAL's A340s. MNL-YVR though now uses the new 77Ws.

rxziebel Jun 28, 2011 10:01 am

Oh yes, I know all too well about the reason for the older plane. But what I was asking was if anyone had been on the 340 recently and could offer any thoughts about business seating. Has anything changed? Can you still ask at the airport about Row 1 or Row 2? Is there now a charge for the first 2 rows (there was not last time I flew the route - it was first come first serve).

Anyone?

Thanks.

keslergo Jul 4, 2011 10:18 pm

I've always flown on PAL, mostly because I always fly domestic and around Asia. Service has always been good on business class but I'm not sure about economy. There are times when you meet rude flight attendants but it's bound to happen. Some might not have an idea of what personal space means but again...it doesn't happen all the time.

Although I notice that the (relatively) younger pursers are less attentive than the older ones. On a trip to Bangkok last June our purser was either in the galley or in the booth the whole time because I only saw here once or twice for the entire trip. PAL operated the retrofitted 744 for that flight but when I tried checking for movies all the screed said was "unable to reach your media. please press the HOME button...." I had to inform the crew 4-5 times before it got fixed. After that I just heard the purser ask one of the crew if it was okay and she was off again. I would have expected her to at least approach the passenger and explain what happened. It was an empty flight anyway so I don't know what's been keeping her busy the entire time.

On the same trip back, a different purser this time, still on the 744 and still not a full flight (it was a Sunday and Monday was still a holiday). I was informed that all window seats from 1st to 3rd rows are wet because of a leak on the flight to Bangkok. When I tried using the entertainment system mine wouldn't switched on...the only thing the crew told me was..."it got wet." Again the purser was not to be seen the entire trip.

I've flown on CX a few times and usually the Inflight Service Manager or Senior Flight Purser would even introduce themselves personal before the flight. If there are problems they would approach you personally and apologize or explain. It used to be that way for PAL, I just don't know what happened these last few years.

Oh by the way, last 2 Monday's ago. PAL's PR731 from Bangkok flew to Manila with no air-conditioning...Now I'm seriously considering if I should just take CX next time, a 1-2 hour break in HKIA isn't all that bad.

keslergo Jul 4, 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by rxziebel (Post 16639177)
Oh yes, I know all too well about the reason for the older plane. But what I was asking was if anyone had been on the 340 recently and could offer any thoughts about business seating. Has anything changed? Can you still ask at the airport about Row 1 or Row 2? Is there now a charge for the first 2 rows (there was not last time I flew the route - it was first come first serve).

Anyone?

Thanks.

Depending on your booking class on business, you may avail of Rows 1 or 2, however they usually offer that to those who book under J or C/D, although on regional flights it's pretty much open for anybody who requests.

I like the A340 because the seats lie flat on Rows 1 and 2, although a bit lumpy its softer than the new Recaro seats on the 744 and 773. Worst case ask for 15A or C at least that an exit row seat which offers good legroom but still a normal business class seat.

NYorkerMind Jul 10, 2011 11:27 pm

I will be flying regularly to MNL, business class. If you could choose any airline, what airline would you fly?

I have heard good things about Singapore Airlines. Are they good?

I will be flying from US east coast, usually New York, and London.

Thanks

Felix Felicis Jul 11, 2011 4:34 am

SQ -- wonderful airline in J, great connections from LHR to MNL; not so great JFK/EWR-MNL (due to timing of flights, sometimes there's an overnight stay in SIN in either direction, in spite of 4x daily SIN-MNL flights)

CX -- great connections from either JFK or LHR, with 4 flights a day each from either LHR or JFK to HKG connecting to any of around 6-7 daily flights HKG-MNL = very convenient. Also very good J product, although IMHO, SQ seat wider + food selection slightly better. Both SQ and CX J class can be expensive ex-LHR or JFK, but fares are seasonal.

PR -- flies only from LAS, SFO, LAX, but J fares very reasonable. J seat, food, service adequate, but far from CX or SQ (again just IMHO)

Other options might be Middle East airlines like Emirates or Qatar or Etihad (all with daily or twice daily flights LHR or JFK to Middle East, connecting to also daily or double daily flights to MNL) -- been hearing great things, but have never tried...

NYorkerMind Jul 11, 2011 8:35 am

Thank Felix, I'll report back after my next couple of trips