Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
China Airlines is rolling out a flight attendant internship for college students that originally was only for ground staff. Students are paid NT150k/6 months. They go through 2 months of training and then are in the air for 1 year, flying intra-Asia hops for at least 60 hours a month.I hope this does not mean a drop in quality...
Those FAs will not be allowed to operate any safety related equipment.
They are only there to help selling duty free items, push meal carts and learn what normal FA does.

Pretty much only the on duty FA will be pissed off cause the extra FAs that are on the plane will only help certain things.

Originally Posted by bzcat
Looks like TPE will be the first airport in East Asia to have pre-clearance to US... should really help BR and CI
Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not confirmed anything. Pretty much this news came out to either:

1. Give Taoyuan mayor and CI Ho some fame (so the news is fake but simply to promote), or
2. There are some underlying exchanges we don't know that causes TPE having to set up Pre-clearance in the future.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not confirmed anything. Pretty much this news came out to either:

1. Give Taoyuan mayor and CI Ho some fame (so the news is fake but simply to promote), or
2. There are some underlying exchanges we don't know that causes TPE having to set up Pre-clearance in the future.
I almost think this is another way of TW-US trying to challenge Mainland China...however one report said they started talking about this when CI started thinking about ONT.

I just wonder how the math would work - the US would need some kind of volume for this to be worth while BUT how can they staff enough for 1800 passengers during peak departure hours and who is going to pay for it, Mexico ?

Or, maybe start with ONT flights first (assuming BR is interested in it too)? Remember, it is not just Immigration, it is Customs and Agriculture too. How about lounges and duty-free?

Supposedly they are also saying T3 / when T3 opens, they can accommodate this [at T3 or T1/T2]. However, I also read that when T3 opens, T2 will close completely for renovation for a while?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
They are only there to help selling duty free items, push meal carts and learn what normal FA does.

Pretty much only the on duty FA will be pissed off cause the extra FAs that are on the plane will only help certain things.

This if true would likely happen when T2 gets shut down and they move to terminal T3. The only real benefit of this I see is ONT as their customs section is lacking. Yes so many flights leave between 11pm and 12:20am. If it was to be implemented before the move to T3 then the space required would trouble other pasengers as during that time they have up to 3 flights going to Australia, plus the KLM flight around that time and some other flights. I only base this on my observations in Amsterdam. Or one other possbility to reduce the need for more space would to move US immigration officals to different gates when required and then CI would need to spread out their US flights a little more in the evening.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tris06
This if true would likely happen when T2 gets shut down and they move to terminal T3. The only real benefit of this I see is ONT as their customs section is lacking. Yes so many flights leave between 11pm and 12:20am. If it was to be implemented before the move to T3 then the space required would trouble other pasengers as during that time they have up to 3 flights going to Australia, plus the KLM flight around that time and some other flights. I only base this on my observations in Amsterdam. Or one other possbility to reduce the need for more space would to move US immigration officals to different gates when required and then CI would need to spread out their US flights a little more in the evening.
They would have to redesign one of the concourses to act as a pre-clearance facility, probably the A or B concourse with US CBP being housed in the T1 headhouse since using T2 would prevent them from being able to have contiguous concourses with T3.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think if they did this, CI and BR will have to be both in...and that ONT service, which is starting soon, needs this somehow (cost, passenger processing time at ONT).

Otherwise, there is just too much cost to set this up and execute - including scheduling/aircraft utilization if they re-timed the 2 US connecting banks (early evening and late evening).

I know the Canada transborder flights arrive as Domestic in the US. Does that happen to other pre-clearance flights? It would be cool to arrive Domestic and no need to clear security again.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
....I know the Canada transborder flights arrive as Domestic in the US. Does that happen to other pre-clearance flights?.....
Yes, pre-cleared flights arrive without need to go through CIQ. Not sure about TSA though.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:18 pm

I’ve used preclearance in Canada (YOW - Ottawa) traveling to the US. The way it is set up is that US-bound flights all depart from the end of the concourse, where there is a glass wall that separates these gates from others. There is a separate security checkpoint that leads to the customs and immigration preclearance area, where there are lines for immigration officers as well as Global Entry and NEXUS kiosks. Once through there is a common boarding area with restaurants and duty free shops (I don’t recall if there were any lounges but I suspect the bigger airports like YVR, YYZ, etc have something). I don't recall checking bags so I don’t remember how customs was handled, though I do remember YVR had a separate trans border check in area so they might put customs agents there, and things worked similar to how things worked in the US after 9/11 before airports were able to put the bug checked baggage screening machines inline: the agent tags the bags but the passenger then carries it over to a customs agent, then the checked bag is collected.

For arrivals it it really is like a domestic flight. My YOW trips both went via Chicago O’Hare and we arrived airside in the terminal just like a domestic US flight with no need to go through a TSA checkpoint before boarding a connecting flight.

Thinking about TPE, the airport’s design might actually lend itself to preclearance pretty well. Flights are concentrated at certain times, which makes dedicating certain gates to US flights inefficient. However TPE currently has the document check on the upper level before passengers are allowed to go downstairs to the boarding lounge. US immigration officials could be placed there for US flights. Global Entry would be a bit of a problem though, either the kiosks would have to be portable or have the kiosks placed only at certain gates that are the ones used for US flights (and if another gate has to be used, Global Entry would simply have to be unavailable).
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:19 pm

I know the Canada transborder flights arrive as Domestic in the US. Does that happen to other pre-clearance flights? It would be cool to arrive Domestic and no need to clear security again.
All pre-cleared flights (not only Canada but also Dublin and Abu Dhabi) arrive as Domestic.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
All pre-cleared flights (not only Canada but also Dublin and Abu Dhabi) arrive as Domestic.
That also means security has to be up to TSA standards. I think that alone will take while to achieve.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel from Canada to the US a few times a year, mostly YUL. Basically, security and immigration are dedicated. Bags are dropped off before security. They scan your BP and bag tag. When you go through immigration, they scan your BP and bring up a picture of your bag for you to confirm.

To me, the agriculture concerns with Canada is a lot less than Asia. So, this could be a big problem. How are they going to find the egg yolk in the moon cakes and the ground pork and the pork jerky for local and transit passengers? I think BR and CI's target for transit passengers is 2/3+ - that is a huge volume!

To me, I am not impressed with the experiences in Canada. The CBP officers are rarely friendly and the kiosks are broken a lot.

In Taiwan, while the government is bureaucratic, the actual interaction with government employees is usually very pleasant. The Taiwanese are very picky with government employee attitudes. I don't know how the Taiwanese would view having US Government employees treat them the strict and less-than-polite way on Taiwanese soil. Years ago, there were huge uproars when AIT visa officers were not nice and denied too many people. Maybe they will appreciate what they have there.
tris06 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I travel from Canada to the US a few times a year, mostly YUL. Basically, security and immigration are dedicated. Bags are dropped off before security. They scan your BP and bag tag. When you go through immigration, they scan your BP and bring up a picture of your bag for you to confirm.

To me, the agriculture concerns with Canada is a lot less than Asia. So, this could be a big problem. How are they going to find the egg yolk in the moon cakes and the ground pork and the pork jerky for local and transit passengers? I think BR and CI's target for transit passengers is 2/3+ - that is a huge volume!

To me, I am not impressed with the experiences in Canada. The CBP officers are rarely friendly and the kiosks are broken a lot.

In Taiwan, while the government is bureaucratic, the actual interaction with government employees is usually very pleasant. The Taiwanese are very picky with government employee attitudes. I don't know how the Taiwanese would view having US Government employees treat them the strict and less-than-polite way on Taiwanese soil. Years ago, there were huge uproars when AIT visa officers were not nice and denied too many people. Maybe they will appreciate what they have there.
And many countries will not consider the pre clearance As it is an extension of US government to the country In question. Add to that unfriendly attitude which I Have heard about. Then the gate issues Because yes before 4pm those gates are vital for other flights not going to USA and to be honest TPE airport is running well above designed Capacity and it would seem a luxury (the amount of space required and probably taking out of 2 or 3 gates to be empty or Have to run passengers on to tHe plane by bus. Seems at this point too much of a headache. Also I do think if In the long term other countries would want same pre clearance it Would make airports really inefficient. AMS it works okay As it Seems US flights are spread out quite Well from morning until evening with a low usage point for a couple of hours In the evening.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat

Sounds like a cost down method. They now only have to staff enough FA's to meet safety req(1 per exit door) and the rest can be these dirt cheap interns. Would not be surprised to see a dip in quality.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
T2 is not being shutdown. When the government first announced this, CI and BR threw a fit(all the lounge renovation costs down the drain) and they pulled the plan back.

Both airlines will have to be in for this thing to work. The airport is looking at investing in an "overseas customs clearance area". T2 has no space for this nonsense. They are already running well above capacity and any additional restrictions to gate assignments will send the terminal into chaos.
tris06 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

T2 is not being shutdown. When the government first announced this, CI and BR threw a fit(all the lounge renovation costs down the drain) and they pulled the plan back.

Both airlines will have to be in for this thing to work. The airport is looking at investing in an "overseas customs clearance area". T2 has no space for this nonsense. They are already running well above capacity and any additional restrictions to gate assignments will send the terminal into chaos.

So seems we are in agreement. I for one would be angry if it becomes inconvenient for my flights to Australia from T2 if there was less capacity.
If this separate customs area cannot be organised by early 2019 they might as well include it in the plans for T3. Thanks for the update as I heard about the shut down around 6 months ago. By the way i don't think CI spent that much money on lounge renovations in T2. The lounge near D4 is like 10 years old now and really needs a decent renovation in the next year or 2. The lounge up stairs which was changed from the supreme lounge last year is average quality and in my opinion a step back compared to T1 lounge. Once T3 opens will CI want to open a lounge there considering it might be a decent walk from the 2 T2 lounges?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Sounds like a cost down method. They now only have to staff enough FA's to meet safety req(1 per exit door) and the rest can be these dirt cheap interns. Would not be surprised to see a dip in quality.
It's not surprised the management wants to decrease cost. These FAs are simply too expensive for them when compared to industry standards in Asia. It's also a good way against strikes. There are only 24 FA trainees being hired this way through the cooperation, I doubt most passengers will even see one within the next year. Plus who knows what will happen when these trainees goes on line and work with the on duty FAs?

That also means security has to be up to TSA standards. I think that alone will take while to achieve.
The issue should be, who is paying for it? It's likely TPE has to pay for it. I am unsure if the citizens in Taiwan would want to build this for the minorities who goes to the US. It is a hefty sum.

If it's really a burden to wait in line in the US, get global entry (but many Taiwanese are stingy and won't even shell out $100 for 5 years worth of saving time).

I almost think this is another way of TW-US trying to challenge Mainland China...however one report said they started talking about this when CI started thinking about ONT.

I just wonder how the math would work - the US would need some kind of volume for this to be worth while BUT how can they staff enough for 1800 passengers during peak departure hours and who is going to pay for it, Mexico ?

Or, maybe start with ONT flights first (assuming BR is interested in it too)? Remember, it is not just Immigration, it is Customs and Agriculture too. How about lounges and duty-free?

Supposedly they are also saying T3 / when T3 opens, they can accommodate this [at T3 or T1/T2]. However, I also read that when T3 opens, T2 will close completely for renovation for a while?
If there is pre-clearance, it's almost always the airport that has it has to pay for everything, including US CIQ personnel needed to get it done.

ONT is just being thrown out as a bait by Ho of CI. The current flights from Mexico to US does just fine clearing at T1 in ONT, albeit a bit older terminal complex.

It is ONT who needs the flights, why is TPE or CI having to subsidize it with pre-clearance? What's in exchange here? Having the Taiwan Act passed to piss off China?

So seems we are in agreement. I for one would be angry if it becomes inconvenient for my flights to Australia from T2 if there was less capacity.
If this separate customs area cannot be organised by early 2019 they might as well include it in the plans for T3. Thanks for the update as I heard about the shut down around 6 months ago. By the way i don't think CI spent that much money on lounge renovations in T2. The lounge near D4 is like 10 years old now and really needs a decent renovation in the next year or 2. The lounge up stairs which was changed from the supreme lounge last year is average quality and in my opinion a step back compared to T1 lounge. Once T3 opens will CI want to open a lounge there considering it might be a decent walk from the 2 T2 lounges?
There is still going to be parts of tear down in Terminal 2, just not an entire closure. Operations at Terminal 2 will likely be severely affected.

One can see CI is currently not even building another lounge or do renovations to the lounges in Terminal 2. It's likely CI will be the one moving to Terminal 3 to create one alliance a terminal. In this case BR will be extremely pissed off if they have to be the one dealing with the constructions (and likely they would want a pie in Terminal 3 which CI will probably go all out against this since they are the one that always gets the shaft).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.