Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Expedia and airlines checking card used to purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I booked flights using Delta and Asiana through Expedia. I'm worried because I used someone else's card when purchasing since it was a gift, and the airlines might have to look at it when checking in.

People have said to go through a third party TA when buying for someone else to avoid this, but when I looked up my confirmation # on the Delta website, I could see the receipt which has the last 4 digits of the card used. Expedia might have passed on the card to them.

The person's card I used lives in another state and was just visiting me. They won't be able to go to the airport with me to show the card when checking in if they do ask for it.

How can I know for sure if they're checking the card at check-in, and what can I do about it if they do?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Dont worry, if booked via TA the airline will not ask you to show the credit card used. The airline will get payment from the TA and will not care about your credit card as the risk is on the TA. You will be fine.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The airline will get payment from the TA
Not necessarily. Most OTA transactions have the CC processed by the airline, not the OTA. The OTA passes the data back and forth and is responsible for the booking, but it does not collect the cash from the airline.

I agree with the view that the OP will be fine to travel, but not because the airline doesn't know anything about the card used to pay.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not necessarily. Most OTA transactions have the CC processed by the airline, not the OTA. The OTA passes the data back and forth and is responsible for the booking, but it does not collect the cash from the airline.

I agree with the view that the OP will be fine to travel, but not because the airline doesn't know anything about the card used to pay.
That might be the case since Delta does have the card number. Can you explain why I will be fine?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Ptlrd.

Please follow the post as we move this to our OTA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You'll be fine because you only have to show your boarding pass and ID at the airport. You can check in and print your boarding pass via your home computer. Or at the airport, but it is better to get done at home ahead of time (within 24 hours of your flight time). One more thing you have set.

But you sound like you haven't traveled much. Do take some time to get on the airline web site and make sure you understand what you can and can't bring with you otherwise. All liquids and gels in a 1-quart zip lock bag. None over 3 ounces (well, actually 100 grams which is a little over 3 ounces). No firearms, knives, and a long list of other stuff. Dress so you can get through the security efficiently - slip off shoes, empty pockets, minimal metal, etc. A good idea to sort out those electronics and have them all in one area or even bag. Rather than the wires and batteries mixed amongst everything. That way, everything can be pulled out at once if further inspection is needed. Lots more rules, this was just to start your thinking.

But again, airports don't ask to see credit cards. Hotels usually do though.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romelle
You'll be fine because you only have to show your boarding pass and ID at the airport. You can check in and print your boarding pass via your home computer. Or at the airport, but it is better to get done at home ahead of time (within 24 hours of your flight time). One more thing you have set.

But you sound like you haven't traveled much. Do take some time to get on the airline web site and make sure you understand what you can and can't bring with you otherwise. All liquids and gels in a 1-quart zip lock bag. None over 3 ounces (well, actually 100 grams which is a little over 3 ounces). No firearms, knives, and a long list of other stuff. Dress so you can get through the security efficiently - slip off shoes, empty pockets, minimal metal, etc. A good idea to sort out those electronics and have them all in one area or even bag. Rather than the wires and batteries mixed amongst everything. That way, everything can be pulled out at once if further inspection is needed. Lots more rules, this was just to start your thinking.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I have only traveled a few times, but I passed with no problems each time. I'll double check my bags, though.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I fly regularly with a variety of airlines and have only ever once been asked to show my credit card: this was with a third-rate Caribbean airline. I did actually purchase my flight via an OTA (Vayama), so I have no idea why they wanted to see the CC.

Can't see this happening on a real airline like Delta or Asiana.

Originally Posted by Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.