Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline sends Shatner's Negotiator over a cliff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

This article by the Sacramento Bee seems to suggest that Priceline is dumping Shatner because they are shifting away from bidding toward the fixed price retail business.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/19/419...egotiator.html
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Some business school prof quoted in the SacBee and LAT articles thinks Name Your Own Price is going the way of the dinosaur. Certainly PL makes more money selling hotel rooms at rack rates. And a BetterBidding poster received the following less-than-encouraging response from PL:

Please note that we have not received any updates regarding any future
changes in the Name Your Own Price feature on our website. We are still
providing the Name Your Own Price reservations on our website.

Moreover, please continue to check back with us as we are constantly
improving our existing products and adding new ones.

Let's hope it's all hype, that Shatner the Negotiator miraculously survived being burnt to a crisp, and that nothing bad is going to happen to Name Your Own Price.

Last edited by mbstone; Jan 21, 2012 at 4:52 am
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Given that Priceline has been fiddling with their Rewards Visa, it's a possibility. My card gets me 5% cashback on NYOP bids, and since I'm an affiliate as well I get another couple of percent off.

But discounted rate hotels have been around for a long time - anybody remember 1-800-Hotels before they got bought by Expedia?

I think, however, that people don't think of PL as a place to buy rack rate stuff, and that hurts them. I know I always used to use Expedia when I wanted to just compare against a bunch of options, and then I'd go buy directly from the vendor.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If PL decides to discontinue bidding, a competitor will hopefully take their place as hotels seem to be more than willing to unload their inventory for 25-50% of their normal rates.
I wonder if this is related to PL bidding patent expiration and other companies slowly moving into this field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.