Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline NYOP delayed responses - What really happens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More

If anybody uses NYOP, frequently, you'ld have noticed a landing page sometimes that goes something like this:

Code:
 In most cases, we'll be able to tell you whether or not you got your tickets within 15 minutes. We're still working on your airline ticket request, and should have an answer for you soon. You can also get your answer at any time by clicking on the "Check Your Requests" button at the top of the Priceline.com home page.
What do you think priceline is actually doing in these 15 minutes? Do you think they do a new web services call to the airlines with your request? Do they do this when they run out of inventory?

My thought was that priceline alway works on the pre-allocated inventory only, but in some cases it appears they could do an on the fly check on airlune inventory... Is there something else going on here?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:44 am

You can almost always check your bid status and get the answer almost immediately.

The thought was PL originally delayed your answer in order give the impression there was actual bidding going on. Someone at the airline/hotel was literally looking at your bid and making a decision. That pretense was long since abandoned.

They delay is probably an issue with your email.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:08 am

When I did the NYOP in the 90s I was under the impression that Priceline had blocks of tickets in the price ranges that the airlines blocked for Priceline. When tickets out of the price range were sold it would come back with the unsuccessful bid.

Really the delay was the ticketing time but in reality you could go online and see if your bid went through.

On 99 percent of my NYOP I would go online and see the going rate and subtract 20-30 percent from the MSRP and go from there. It worked most of the time.

Now I don't use NYOP because I have found better deals by searching on agregators such as Kyak.com or consolidators. I look for fares that earn frequent flyer miles.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:03 am

If you open up another browser window, you can see the status of your request most of the time when this happens. Very rarely is there any significant delay, and I suspect it's due to a database issue if so, rather than an attempt to make you think they are personally calling airlines.

That said, Priceline HK long ago used to have customer service reps write back to you with counteroffers. I don't know if that still happens, as I haven't used Priceline HK for ages.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More
Thanks for all the replies. I'm very familiar with the process.

My only question was about times when there is a considerable delay. This does not happen frequently, but sure does happen once every few times. I always receive either a counter offer or that the offer wasn't accepted. But, there surely are times, when it says still processing or something else. Was just wondering about these instances. Like you all said, it could just be a dB issue. I was wondering if they had some new webservice link built in with the airlines.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by therealintellectual
My only question was about times when there is a considerable delay. This does not happen frequently, but sure does happen once every few times.
I think this happens when they want to verify your payment details.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:24 pm

There's some suspicion that's it's fake (see HotelDealsRevealed Priceline Forum) but the only time I've had seen it recently is when my bid has been accepted by I've entered the wrong credit card information by accident. This is usually followed up with "there's a problem with your card" message, but when I eventually enter the correct card info, my successful bid goes through.

Hasn't happened in a while.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I had it happen to me in November '12. The Bid was accepted after 10 minutes of waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.