Community
Wiki Posts
Search

extremehoteldeals.com?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

extremehoteldeals.com?

I signed up for email alerts from extremehoteldeals.com a few months ago. Their alert offers have been largely useless, as most of them are for a single date or a few random non-contiguous dates here and there.

Recently, there was one deal that I could use as a staycation, so I booked one night via booking.com. Later, I received an error from booking.com that it was an error rate, and they counter-offered me a 50% off their rack rate.

I sent two comments on the offer page on extremehoteldeals.com to let their users know about this and to ask if it is typical that their "deals" end up not being honored. My first comment was under "moderation" status for a few days, and after I posted my second comment, both were deleted immediately.

This experience led me to believe that this site is not transparent and not useful. Was I just unlucky in this instance? Any other experience - successful or not - with using deal alerts from this site?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:15 pm

Price mistakes are always YMMV. I'm around a 75% success rate with EHD myself.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I signed up for email alerts from extremehoteldeals.com a few months ago. Their alert offers have been largely useless, as most of them are for a single date or a few random non-contiguous dates here and there.

Recently, there was one deal that I could use as a staycation, so I booked one night via booking.com. Later, I received an error from booking.com that it was an error rate, and they counter-offered me a 50% off their rack rate.

I sent two comments on the offer page on extremehoteldeals.com to let their users know about this and to ask if it is typical that their "deals" end up not being honored. My first comment was under "moderation" status for a few days, and after I posted my second comment, both were deleted immediately.

This experience led me to believe that this site is not transparent and not useful. Was I just unlucky in this instance? Any other experience - successful or not - with using deal alerts from this site?
I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at this post.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at this post.
Haha. Good comment, mlqsko.

But just to reply to the OP, I will say that any and all postings of pricing 'deals' are indeed with a YMMV caveat. Some deals work out and others dont.

That said I have found several posts on EHD that have been quite 'useful' (for me), while many others have not been relevant (/convenient, if I can use that in this setting).

It is all part of the game.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:30 pm

well there was
best western chicago jan 2015 $25 multi day
hotel milo santa barbara jan 2015 $9 multi day
westin las vegas june 2014 $9
loews washington dc August 2015 $44 multi day
Aria Las Vegas April 2016 $70( waived resort fee + $100 credit)
Mariott San Antonio $15 March 2016 multi day
Sofia San diego $33 May 2016 multi day

Just a few I have had honored since stumbling onto the site 2 years ago.

last night booked Bellagio $85 April 2017. fingers crossed.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
...I will say that any and all postings of pricing 'deals' are indeed with a YMMV caveat. Some deals work out and others dont.

That said I have found several posts on EHD that have been quite 'useful' (for me), while many others have not been relevant (/convenient, if I can use that in this setting).

It is all part of the game.
So it sounds like many or most of the EHD "deals" are mistake rates. I had erroneously - and naively - thought they might been special promotions, since many are valid for a single day only. Now I know, and I've unsubscribed from EHD.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Nov 17, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:34 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
So it sounds like many or most of the EHD "deals" are mistake rates. I had erroneously - and naively - thought they might been special promotions, since many are valid for a single day only. Now I know, and I've unsubscribed from EHD.
That's why they call it extreme. Because the hotel won't cover their cost with these price.
And sometime they honor it, sometime they don't.
Like I used the deal this March for doubletree disney land,Anaheim around 40USD/n for 3 nights. They didn't even send me an email say it is a mistake rate.They just honor it,no issue when I checked in.
Years ago book the swiss alps hotel 120USD for 7nights. that time had a real hard bargain with Booking.com, their VP of CS finally honored that. As I know most of others quit in the middle of the battle.
EHD is a good source and it's free. Use it on your own risk and have fun.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:46 pm

I lucked out with the deal on the Fairmont Newport Beach 1 BR SUITE. I had 2 long weekends booked at around $65 a night. They contacted each person offering to honor it by the end of the year for comp nights. I combined both weekends into a free 5 night stay over Thanksgiving. I commend Fairmont on their professionalism and how they handled their own mistake.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:57 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
I have used EHD a few times. Once, a single night deal in London was for the night I had to be there. Another time was a multinight deal in Amsterdam. Like all error fares it is YMMV. As for the volume of email, I am pretty good at hitting delete...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:59 pm

Well, isn't this a timely post.

I just stayed in Boston thanks to an Extreme Hotel Deal rate that was definitely an error rate ( $102 US for 3 nights at Revere Boston Common). i prepaid the reservation, and upon checking out today, the front desk told me that apparently what I was charged had been for one night only (this is BS). The reservation clearly said $102 TOTAL, so I told them, and in the end they honored it. I was a little concerned they would charge me extra. Turns out that booking.com apparently sent me an email to let me know that the $102 I had been charged back in July was for one night only. This was sent last week, 1 week before the stay. They told me the rate is apparently $94 per night and asked me to accept this ornthe other option was to cancel the reservation I never responded (because I didn't see the email). I wouldn't have accepted it anyways. I guess there are risks with booking.com honouring mistake bookings.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Refreshing an old post....

I signed up with their holiday deal a few months back, with the hope that a single deal would pay for the subscription. So far I have found the site to be worth exactly zero. I guess I'm resigned to 9 more months of teaser emails.

I am getting about 3-8 emails a week, and for the past few weeks, I have been immediately hitting the link and trying to book every deal (Malaysia, next week? Sure!), just to see if they even exist. I don't think they do.

While there are some discounts, I am starting to think that the hotels and EHD have some kind of agreement where they show an imaginary $50 a night room which isn't available, but after you go to the site, $125 does seem like an okay rate....

I will keep trying just to disprove my theory, but this seems like trying to score the imaginary $99 big screen TV at Best Buy on Black Friday...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Tino
I will keep trying just to disprove my theory, but this seems like trying to score the imaginary $99 big screen TV at Best Buy on Black Friday...
That is exactly what it is like IMHO. Example, our hotel had a mistake fare of something like $46 instead of $460 for suites on one day. There are only 3 of those suites. 3 people booked within seconds, or probably before it even came out on EHD.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Member

If anybody is still reading this post, please don't fall for their annual "Black Friday" or holiday pricing discount. I was unable to book a single deal all year even with their "premium" subscription. Fraud is a strong term, but I think it may apply here.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Is EHD still active? No more social media activity and they didn't reply to my e-mail within 3 months. However, you can still sign up for a paid membership.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can’t believe people fall for this stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.