FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Help optimize my HK, NRT, AKL itinerary (AA + CX) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1967238-help-optimize-my-hk-nrt-akl-itinerary-aa-cx.html)

Alex Lucille Apr 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Help optimize my HK, NRT, AKL itinerary (AA + CX)

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to send my parents on their dream trip to asia and new zealand, I've gone though several iterations and come up with what I think is the optimal itinerary but figured I would tap the flyertalk braintrust to see if there is anything I've missed. open to any comments/recommendations.

Question:
--Any creative routing ideas? I am open to re-arranging the trip if it will either reduce the total distance flown or fit the AKL->HKG leg into the itinerary with our existing miles

Requirements/constraints:
--3 days in Tokyo
--10+ days in New zealand
--3 days in Hong Kong
--Business Class
--No long layovers

Miles available:
--170k CX
--130k AA + 48k in another account
--50k UR
--30k AS + 20k in another account

Current planned itinerary (visual map attached):
RNO->LAX->NRT on AA for 120k AA miles
NRT->AKL on AZ for $1600 - cant use asiamiles on this leg as they only allow redemptions on AKL->HKG
AKL->HKG on CX stopover - see next flight
HKG->SFO on CX for 170k asiamiles

Mwenenzi Apr 28, 2019 1:53 am

"Current planned itinerary" is one thing
But what is the real award availability some where close to the dates they want to fly?

(Air New Zealand = NZ. AZ = Alitalia Societa Aerea Italiana S.p.A {Alitalia})

Shorter (but getting awards/cash flights has not been considered)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=RNO-LAX...SU=kts&RS=best

AA
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

LondonElite Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am

Have you checked whether any of these flights have reward availability?

Alex Lucille Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31044640)
"Current planned itinerary" is one thing
But what is the real award availability some where close to the dates they want to fly?

(Air New Zealand = NZ. AZ = Alitalia Societa Aerea Italiana S.p.A {Alitalia})

Shorter (but getting awards/cash flights has not been considered)
Great Circle Mapper

AA
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Thanks, I’ll look into these threads and yes this routing is what I would like to book but have not been able to find a way to book that many stopovers/airlines with my available miles.

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31045312)

yes, quoted mileage refers to confirmed availability

LondonElite Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Alex Lucille (Post 31045646)

Thanks, I’ll look into these threads and yes this routing is what I would like to book but have not been able to find a way to book that many stopovers/airlines with my available miles.

I that case I would just book it and possibly worry about improvements later. These things have a habit of disappearing.

Mwenenzi Apr 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alex Lucille (Post 31045646)

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31045312)

So book them now. Not in 15 minutes or tomorrow. If you do not, someone else will.
Especially with AA long haul business class awards x 2. My understanding is you can put AA awards on hold for x hrs.

30K AS not a lot of use due to the very prescriptive AS award chart

Alex Lucille Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31046314)
So book them now. Not in 15 minutes or tomorrow. If you do not, someone else will.
Especially with AA long haul business class awards x 2. My understanding is you can put AA awards on hold for x hrs.

30K AS not a lot of use due to the very prescriptive AS award chart

thanks, I’ve put the AA reservation on hold, still tinkering and hoping for a better solution than shelling out $1500 for 10hrs in economy though 🤞

beckoa Apr 29, 2019 8:41 pm

Since the OP is looking at using OW carriers, we'll relocate this query to the OW forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

jridge Apr 29, 2019 11:24 pm

What is the reason you are going via Asia in BOTH directions, as opposed to US-AKL-HKG-NRT-US or reverse?

Unionruler Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Alex Lucille (Post 31046715)
thanks, I’ve put the AA reservation on hold, still tinkering and hoping for a better solution than shelling out $1500 for 10hrs in economy though 🤞

You should never have to do this. MH ICN-KUL-AKL r/t business is currently retailing at $1,825, and you'd earn AA miles for flying that.

Alex Lucille Apr 30, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks, the $1500 is for 2 passengers OW on a direct flight (10hrs), for me I would take a less direct routing however for my elderly parents I am looking to optimize for less flying time and cash spend and all of the indirect flights I've found are 25hrs+

Alex Lucille Apr 30, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 31051108)
What is the reason you are going via Asia in BOTH directions, as opposed to US-AKL-HKG-NRT-US or reverse?

I would love to do this but have not been able to find any business class availability in March 2020 on the US-AKL leg aside from routing through asia. I could get economy on these but I would prefer routing through asia over sending my parents on a 16hr flight in economy. my understanding is that AA United and Qantas are the only airlines that dont route through asia and I've had no luck finding availability, open to any suggestions though!

jridge Apr 30, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Alex Lucille (Post 31052598)
I would love to do this but have not been able to find any business class availability in March 2020 on the US-AKL leg aside from routing through asia. I could get economy on these but I would prefer routing through asia over sending my parents on a 16hr flight in economy. my understanding is that AA United and Qantas are the only airlines that dont route through asia and I've had no luck finding availability, open to any suggestions though!

Mwenenzi will give you a list, but you can also use AA miles for FJ via NAN and TN via PPT.

Alex Lucille Apr 30, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 31052671)
Mwenenzi will give you a list, but you can also use AA miles for FJ via NAN and TN via PPT.

Thanks, I've searched these routes but I was not able to find saver business class award availability

Mwenenzi Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alex Lucille (Post 31053425)

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 31052671)

Thanks, I've searched these routes but I was not able to find saver business class award availability

Have you read the FJ & TN threads in the AA forum? For some you have to phone.
Air NZ (who are stingy on partner awards) also fly LAX SYD
And DL to SYD then on DL ff partner VA. Or VA LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL onto AKL (DL ff partner)
Also look for WLG and CHC instead of AKL