Wiki Posts
Search

OWE seating benefits on QF

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
OWE seating benefits on QF

I'm confused (again) about oneworld emerald benefits and how they seem to be limited significantly when flying other oneworld airlines.

I have been told by QF that even as an emerald (BA Gold) I still have to pay for preferred emergency exit row seats on a QF flight. Is that correct?

This is in addition to being forced to pay for additional luggage fees previously at the airport when checking a case over 23 kg (despite me pointing out that this is a clearly articulated benefit of oneworld).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Expatbear
I have been told by QF that even as an emerald (BA Gold) I still have to pay for preferred emergency exit row seats on a QF flight. Is that correct?
This is correct. However, QF do make other good seats (just not exit row) available for elites which otherwise you'd have to pay for.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
This is in addition to being forced to pay for additional luggage fees previously at the airport when checking a case over 23 kg (despite me pointing out that this is a clearly articulated benefit of oneworld).
Maybe they're not aware of Emerald benefits? Maybe should have spoken to a supervisor if available?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Maybe they're not aware of Emerald benefits? Maybe should have spoken to a supervisor if available?
I don't think being able to check a bag over 23kg is a "clearly articulated benefit of oneworld". The oneworld benefit is
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)
The airline does not have to permit the extra 20kg in a single bag; in fact, a 43kg (23+20) bag exceeds WHS limits in some/most countries. The airline remains free to set a "per bag" weight limit as it wishes. Thus if the original limit is 1x23kg bag, an airline that permits an emerald to check in 2x23kg bags but refuses 1x32kg bag would still be providing the oneworld benefit.

That said, QF's system is indeed configured improperly for the "piece" system. I've confirmed numerous times in writing via customer service that an emerald traveling from the USA in Y can check 3x32kg bags (i.e. same as QF Platinum) rather than 2x23kg bags, yet their system shows the allowance as 3x23kg. However, as annoying as this may be, their system as it is configured still does offer the oneworld benefit.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jridge
This is correct. However, QF do make other good seats (just not exit row) available for elites which otherwise you'd have to pay for.
And, of course, you can get exit row seats for free -- if there are any left -- when the online check-in opens, 24 hours in advance. Mrs999 and I were just lucky that way, with SYD-DRW and DRW-MEL.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I don't think being able to check a bag over 23kg is a "clearly articulated benefit of oneworld". The oneworld benefit is

The airline does not have to permit the extra 20kg in a single bag; in fact, a 43kg (23+20) bag exceeds WHS limits in some/most countries. The airline remains free to set a "per bag" weight limit as it wishes. Thus if the original limit is 1x23kg bag, an airline that permits an emerald to check in 2x23kg bags but refuses 1x32kg bag would still be providing the oneworld benefit.

That said, QF's system is indeed configured improperly for the "piece" system. I've confirmed numerous times in writing via customer service that an emerald traveling from the USA in Y can check 3x32kg bags (i.e. same as QF Platinum) rather than 2x23kg bags, yet their system shows the allowance as 3x23kg. However, as annoying as this may be, their system as it is configured still does offer the oneworld benefit.
Quite. She did explain to me that I was welcome to check a second bag but would have to pay for the excess weight (which was only a couple of kg) on the one I had. I of course didn't have a second suitcase - I just brought one to Australia and was travelling on internal flights.

I guess the frustrating thing is that they have one set of rules for their emeralds, and another for oneworld emeralds. I thought that was one of the points of getting status on an alliance.

I'm sure there are other examples across the alliance, of course...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

There didn't seem to be any "good seats" on the internal flights I just booked. There were either bog standard seats or exit rows (737 aircraft). Row 4 (first economy seats behind First Class) and Row 5 were blocked (or mysteriously already chosen on an otherwise relatively empty flight)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Even Qantas Platinum (i.e. Emeralds) have to pay additional for exit seating in economy.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 31, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:56 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
There didn't seem to be any "good seats" on the internal flights I just booked. There were either bog standard seats or exit rows (737 aircraft). Row 4 (first economy seats behind First Class) and Row 5 were blocked (or mysteriously already chosen on an otherwise relatively empty flight)
Not First Class but only Business. Row 5 on the 738 is nothing to get excited about - only that its near the front. Rows 4 and 5 are available for booking if you have high enough QF status (P1 or CL - both higher than bog ordinary WP (AKA Platinum).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Rows 4 and 5 on domestic 738 flights are free to select from ~80 hour prior to departure. As OWE I've found it possible to get those rows on 738 international flights (Trans-Tasman) when booking.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm sure there are other examples across the alliance, of course...
AA provides upgrades for US-domestic flights for its elites, those from other airlines shouldn't be upgraded, although they sometimes are.
AY provides free WiFi for its top-tier elites for entire flights. For me, even sitting in biz, I just got 1 hour free.
I wasn't aware that BA provided OWE elites exit row without fee.

There are several quirks.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:39 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Rows 4 & 5 are available for Qantas Platinum One members when they book. All other passengers are able to select them at T-80.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Hvr
Rows 4 & 5 are available for Qantas Platinum One members when they book. All other passengers are able to select them at T-80.
platinum and platinum one
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:32 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
platinum and platinum one
Not WP, just WP1 (and of course CL).

Says he who is WP and awaiting T-80 for my next flights.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Hvr
Not WP, just WP1 (and of course CL).

Says he who is WP and awaiting T-80 for my next flights.
Hmmm. It showed up for me with platinum status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.