Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No checking bags through on separate OW tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
....To return to the obvious tenor of my OP, I’ve always believed that once a PAX is through-checked on separate tickets, that PAX is provided protection in the event of a flight disruption....
Only AA had/has a published policy for protection on separate tickets.
In the OW & AA "Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes" threads several people claimed such a OW policy existed, but none of them, when specifically asked, could prove it by a a link to an airline web site or Oneworld web site or other verifiable source.

Re-accommodation of a passenger on separate tickets/PNR is up to the goodwill on the day by the airline/agent/individual on the desk.

With separate tickets many airlines will not through-check baggage. They want to avoid the risk/cost.

Bag interlining and protection on separate tickets/PNR are loosely linked, but not one and the same.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:37 pm

QR & CX Through Check

Originally Posted by LukeO9
So after the changes made last year to checking bags through to connecting OW airlines on separate tickets
This year I have through-checked luggage on separate bookings twice on CX & once on QR. I had a discussion with a CX supervisor in HKG about this, & she smiled & said yes, they had had lots of negative feedback before they changed their policy back to all through-checking on separate tickets.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately, there are different concepts at work here.

1. One cannot connect across tickets. A connection is definitionally across two flights on the same ticket.

2. OW is a marketing alliance. Its members adopt minimum requirements for lounges, baggage and the like. OW does not require its carriers to check bags across tickets, thus leaving it to each carrier as to whether it wishes to do so. Most do not. Neither BA nor AA do.

3. Unless a carrier voluntarily accepts the responsibility for rebooking across tickets, there is none. AA is the only major carrier which does so pursuant to its own COC. Thus, AA-AA or AA-BA is protected. But, BA-AA is not. Note that because these are separate tickets, EC 261/2004 and its duty of care would not apply to a transfer between tickets.

4. What happens when there is no protection is entirely up to the goodwill of the onward carrier. Some such as BA will not generally even rebook on a BA-BA transfer. Higher status, premium cabin and hitting the correct staff are the keys. But, be prepared to have your original ticket cancelled and have it retain whatever value it may retain, often $0 if post departure and to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices.

For these reasons, make certain to permit time to reclaim luggage, check in again, and also to deal with routine delays. If the second leg is a long-haul and it is during a busy time, it often makes sense to break the two tickets with an overnight.

That said, separate tickets are to be avoided whenever you can. If you are doing it to save money, do understand that while there may be savings, there may also be significant costs.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
1. One cannot connect across tickets. A connection is definitionally across two flights on the same ticket.
How does it work if tickets are issued "in Conjunction" with each other?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by serfty
How does it work if tickets are issued "in Conjunction" with each other?
Still considered separate tickets and no special treatment in OW (as opposed to DL, which IIRC considers some of it as a special exception). For example, even if you are in fact transiting, you still have to pay for departure tax for tickets issued in conjunction.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
... For example, even if you are in fact transiting, you still have to pay for departure tax for tickets issued in conjunction.
This is incorrect.

e.g Section 4.4: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nected-flights

I have avoided taxes and levies by using a TA to do exactly this. A revenue booking issued "in conjunction" with an award booking.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 21, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I remember MH and JL also offer through checking if they are the MSC.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
This is incorrect.

e.g Section 4.4: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nected-flights

I have avoided taxes and levies by using a TA to do exactly this. A revenue booking issued "in conjunction" with an award booking.
This maybe a special UK exception, but for most tickets it needs to be charged, including the oneworld Visit Japan Pass (Yokoso).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
departure tax refund at HKIA (Hong Kong International Airport)

Slightly off topic.

Hong Kong International Airprt has a counter for refund of Air Passenger Departure Tax.

http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/for_travellers.html

a. Passenger may apply in person for refund in cash at the Civil Aviation Department's (CAD) 'Air Passenger Departure Tax’ Counter located at Aisle E, Level 7, Departure Hall, Terminal 1 of the Hong Kong International Airport upon production of all the following documents:
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Newbie Q. Have separate tkts next Monday. IGU flight arrives @13:00 at GRU, and our 241 Amex business class back to LHR goes at 17:15. We only have hand luggage but will need to swap terminals. Are we stuffed if LATAM runs 3 hrs+ late? Would travel insurance cover a like for like rebooking or is a right turn obligatory?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wyddfa
Newbie Q. Have separate tkts next Monday. IGU flight arrives @13:00 at GRU, and our 241 Amex business class back to LHR goes at 17:15. We only have hand luggage but will need to swap terminals. Are we stuffed if LATAM runs 3 hrs+ late? Would travel insurance cover a like for like rebooking or is a right turn obligatory?
Yes. No protection on separate tickets.
No one knows what your travel insurance policy covers.
But more of a question for BA (assuming the LHR flight is on BA)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
No problem this Saturday getting my bags checked through on two seperate tickets MH to QR. I didn't even ask, as I assumed it wasn't allowed. The agent asked me if SIN was my final destination, and when I said I was only transiting, he asked if I would like him to check my bags through to my final destination. It made my trip so much easier. A pity BA still refuses to do it. It will make me less likely to use BA if I am connecting.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
For whom it may be interesting: I just got my bags successfully checked through on SIN-SGN (SQ, 1st ticket) SGN-DOH-FRA (QR, 2nd ticket).
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
And today TXL-LHR-ORD in BA J but AA ticket stock, trying to through-check to separate AA ticket ORD-MSP in Y did not work. Shame, as our flight LHR-ORD had arrived 1h late, which means we barely missed our connection, as our bags had not been checked through. On the other hand, AA rebooked us on the next available AA flight ORD-MSP without batting an eye-lid. It might have helped that I am OWE now.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
And today TXL-LHR-ORD in BA J but AA ticket stock, trying to through-check to separate AA ticket ORD-MSP in Y did not work. Shame, as our flight LHR-ORD had arrived 1h late, which means we barely missed our connection, as our bags had not been checked through. On the other hand, AA rebooked us on the next available AA flight ORD-MSP without batting an eye-lid. It might have helped that I am OWE now.
OW élites can do same-day standby so usually if there are seats they will accommodate. Not that I recommend doing this, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.