FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   First Class to Rio? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1871022-first-class-rio.html)

nologic Oct 8, 2017 9:42 pm

First Class to Rio?

I want to fly first class from BOS to RIO. I am not a big fan of AA (unless something big has changed in the past 12months or so.

I think there used to be a JAL flight from JFK, but I do not see it.

Any great alternative flight options?

Unterwegs Oct 8, 2017 10:46 pm

The JAL flight to GIG is no more. Seems you are stuck with either AA or UA, unless you want to go via Europe to get a proper F.

nologic Oct 8, 2017 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 28909586)
The JAL flight to GIG is no more. Seems you are stuck with either AA or UA, unless you want to go via Europe to get a proper F.

Well, the fly to Europe to fly to South America routing is a little much.

Sounds like new UA's new F or even Polaris is a lot better than anything AA offers in F or C.

MSPeconomist Oct 8, 2017 11:31 pm

If you're looking for a good business class experience, DL is reasonable if you can avoid the 767. (It's seasonal and the GRU routes tend to use larger aircraft types, which would require a GOL connection from GRU to GIG or the domestic airport closer to downtown.)

dvs7310 Oct 9, 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 28909658)
Well, the fly to Europe to fly to South America routing is a little much.

Sounds like new UA's new F or even Polaris is a lot better than anything AA offers in F or C.

Not sure when you're planning to fly but you aren't going to see UA "true" Polaris with the new seats for a little while yet and once that is in place there won't be a UA F anymore. Since AA F is good but not great or over the top, flying F to South America from North America isn't really worth it, I'd just go for the best C product instead.

In the near term if specific alliance isn't important to you then I'd probably be looking at AA or DL for something direct. I've also heard good things about AV but I don't think the BOG-GIG flight is a widebody and it's a fairly long flight.

nologic Oct 9, 2017 6:43 am

Which is better, AA First from JFK or UA Business from EWR or IAD?

rrgg Oct 9, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 28909586)

I think it was JFK-GRU anyway.

bhomburg Oct 9, 2017 3:28 pm

AA doesn't offer First Class anymore between NYC and Rio these days. All their 777-200s - which is what they use on this route in addition to the 767s - have been converted into a two-class configuration without F.
In order to get AA three-class F on the longhaul, you need to book on the 77W (the only AA aircraft retaining F). GRU is the only South American destination that gets a 77W - one daily each from DFW, JFK and MIA (flight numbers 963, 951, 995). This turns your trip into a two-stop itinerary BOS-JFK/DFW/MIA-GRU-RIO, with the intra-Brazilian flight likely on an economy-only narrowbody (Latam has one daily 767 flight with business class, though) and up-to-4.5-hour domestic feeder flights in 737s. Not very premium.

It's the same with UA, btw. No more F to Rio. Only Brazilian destination that still has GF is GRU.

The only oneworld option with F all the way would be taking BA via LHR.

I'd give up on F on that route and rather fly business via JFK. Given the choice between a Latam and AA 767, I'd prefer AA who at least offer all-aisle access and more privacy with their staggered 1-2-1 seating, whereas you'll have seatmates with Latams' 2-2-2 seating. Seats are equally narrow, though.

nologic Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg (Post 28912709)
AA doesn't offer First Class anymore between NYC and Rio these days. All their 777-200s - which is what they use on this route in addition to the 767s - have been converted into a two-class configuration without F.
In order to get AA three-class F on the longhaul, you need to book on the 77W (the only AA aircraft retaining F). GRU is the only South American destination that gets a 77W - one daily each from DFW, JFK and MIA (flight numbers 963, 951, 995). This turns your trip into a two-stop itinerary BOS-JFK/DFW/MIA-GRU-RIO, with the intra-Brazilian flight likely on an economy-only narrowbody (Latam has one daily 767 flight with business class, though) and up-to-4.5-hour domestic feeder flights in 737s. Not very premium.

It's the same with UA, btw. No more F to Rio. Only Brazilian destination that still has GF is GRU.

The only oneworld option with F all the way would be taking BA via LHR.

I'd give up on F on that route and rather fly business via JFK. Given the choice between a Latam and AA 767, I'd prefer AA who at least offer all-aisle access and more privacy with their staggered 1-2-1 seating, whereas you'll have seatmates with Latams' 2-2-2 seating. Seats are equally narrow, though.

OK, that's very helpful, so it looks like it's business class on either UA or AA. Isn't UA Polaris now a major step above AA business class with its bedding, food, and wine?

This December, are UA's business class options any better from EWR vs. IAD or ORD?

I think AA's saver is 57,500 each way in business class...not sure abt UA...

LATAM's reviews look better in terms fo food and wine than AA. Laurent Perrier is certainly a better champagne, as one yardstick.

dvs7310 Oct 13, 2017 1:47 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 28926691)
OK, that's very helpful, so it looks like it's business class on either UA or AA. Isn't UA Polaris now a major step above AA business class with its bedding, food, and wine?

This December, are UA's business class options any better from EWR vs. IAD or ORD?

I think AA's saver is 57,500 each way in business class...not sure abt UA...

LATAM's reviews look better in terms fo food and wine than AA. Laurent Perrier is certainly a better champagne, as one yardstick.

You won't really see the real benefits of Polaris until they get the new seats. Yes, it's marginally better with the new bedding, food, and wine, but not great. I think AA and DL for now still have a better product overall.

With UA routes, look for 767 flights, there are fewer seats across but it's otherwise the same badly outdated seat.

What about LATAM via SCL?