FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Creative Intra-China routing options on OW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1700542-creative-intra-china-routing-options-ow.html)

mster Aug 5, 2015 9:30 pm

Creative Intra-China routing options on OW?

Routing in Asia with AA miles / OW can be tricky due to limited hub options (HKG, NRT, KUL). I'm curious about valid routings here - specifically for Chengdu to Shanghai.

CTU-HKG-PVG (valid, A2 to A2 price)
CTU-HKG-NRT-PVG (valid? A2-A1? A2-A2?)
CTU-KUL-PVG (valid? A2-A2)

guv1976 Aug 5, 2015 9:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Intra-A2 awards do not permit any third-zone transit.

CTU-HKG-PVG and CTU-KUL-PVG might or might not be valid, single-award routings, depending on whether CX and MH have published through-fares from CTU to PVG.

moondog Aug 6, 2015 12:25 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 25228224)
Routing in Asia with AA miles / OW can be tricky due to limited hub options (HKG, NRT, KUL). I'm curious about valid routings here - specifically for Chengdu to Shanghai.

CTU-HKG-PVG (valid, A2 to A2 price)
CTU-HKG-NRT-PVG (valid? A2-A1? A2-A2?)
CTU-KUL-PVG (valid? A2-A2)

You'd be insane to intentionally inject HKG into a CTU-SHA flight (unless you take a true stopover).

cxfan1960 Aug 6, 2015 1:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 25228643)
You'd be insane to intentionally inject HKG into a CTU-SHA flight (unless you take a true stopover).

At least the CTU-HKG is reasonable OK. Only HKG-SHA is unpredictable. The transit may still be OK. The other direction will be more insane.

mster Aug 8, 2015 9:21 pm

Ended up with Dragonair biz via HKG. No published routing CTU-HKG-PVG so it would've been 2x separate AA awards. Ended up booking using avios for 30k +$26. A330s on both segments with fantastic biz class service for 2+hr flights. Considered CZ/MU biz briefly since they have direct flights for only 17.5k DL in J but...

As a OW emerald it's hard to argue with a Cabana and a stop at the Wing's champagne bar :D

moondog Aug 8, 2015 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 25242131)
Ended up with Dragonair biz via HKG. No published routing CTU-HKG-PVG so it would've been 2x separate AA awards. Ended up booking using avios for 30k +$26. A330s on both segments with fantastic biz class service for 2+hr flights. Considered CZ/MU biz briefly since they have direct flights for only 17.5k DL in J but...

As a OW emerald it's hard to argue with a Cabana and a stop at the Wing's champagne bar :D

Methinks that during your 5 hour delay in HK, you will regret not spending $100 on a nonstop, but I wish you the best of luck, and please do report back.

ETA: With due respect to the OP, I feel compelled to make my point stronger. While CTU-SHA is just as likely to be delayed for 5 hours as HKG-SHA, inserting HK into the equation is just plain silly. Those of you who don't reside in Asia may not appreciate the extent to which 5 hour delays suck (and, we usually don't have the luxury of waiting them out in lounges). For 30k BA points, it's possible to fetch 6 segments between BOS and DCA.

percysmith Aug 8, 2015 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 25242131)

The big drawback is you are exposed to "Air Flow Control" (PRC lingo for Air Traffic Control induced by PLA or CAAC decisions) twice by this routing.

You must like the Regional J seat more than I - it's something I don't look forward to sitting on for potentially eight hours on the ground for plus the time in the sky - it's just a glorified Premium Economy seat.

Tarmac rule does not exist in HK/PRC. Since takeoff priority on HK/PRC is based on doors close they will herd everyone on board and keep them there. Hence we have a few cases where pax have taken over (Occupied?) the aircraft to force it back to gate but those will be met by armed intervention.

moondog Aug 9, 2015 2:14 am

No. The big drawback is making a 20 hour trip out of a 3 hour trip (and, paying a steep premium to do so).

travelinmanS Aug 9, 2015 10:34 am

Creative Intra-China routing options on OW?

Perhaps the most ridiculous use of miles I've ever seen. Definitely the most ridiculous flight routing. Enjoy the lounge in HK, you'll get tired of it after the first 6 hours....trust me.

77W_12A Aug 9, 2015 11:41 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 25243828)
Perhaps the most ridiculous use of miles I've ever seen. Definitely the most ridiculous flight routing. Enjoy the lounge in HK, you'll get tired of it after the first 6 hours....trust me.

I couldn't agree with you more. I went to the newly renovated Pier F lounge. Incredibly nice lounge. Nicest one at the moment in the oneworld network. I was there 4 hours prior. I got tired of it in two.

And as far as the op's routing. Get a cheap ticket from CTU-PVG on MU, CA, or CZ. You're going to use every four letter word in the book if your flight gets delayed from HKG to PVG. YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET IT. All I heard form the lounge was...flight to PVG has been delayed. new departure time is xxx

mster Aug 9, 2015 9:21 pm

Domestic J on both KA flights was a very nice A330 angled lie flat biz. Service onboard was also great. Had about 3 hours in HKG which was just enough to enjoy Cabana + Haven + champagne bar. So... I think it was an absolutely perfect leisure routing to enjoy a long afternoon with good company :cool:

I know that 30k avios = 6x short hops, *but* it's much harder to get value booking solid J products than it used to be since they devalued redemptions for flights >2000 miles and many decent products incur ridiculous fuel surcharges on top of that (QR/MH/UL/BA).

Nonstop flights were $200 (local/budget) - $270 (MU/CZ) so this may be the disconnect here. I would've taken a $100 nonstop hands down ^

percysmith Aug 9, 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 25246162)
Domestic J on both KA flights was a very nice A330 angled lie flat biz.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/dragonair-up...-pacific-seats

The hybrid design of the new business class seat borrows some elements from an angled lie-flat or ‘sloping sleeper’ seat and weaves them into the more conventional form of a recliner....

The seat features independent electronic controls for recline and the legrest, and articulates into a “lazy-Z” position where your feet are supported by the extra-large reclining legrest, which rises up to support your legs.
"Borrows" dosn't mean it is (or ever was) a lie flat. It's not.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos/view/...-hero-1000.jpg

This is a lie flat for reference http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/1...818ecd37_c.jpg

moondog Aug 9, 2015 10:14 pm

It does NOT cost $200 to fly from ctu to sha. In fact, even f only requires $180 (I searched for flights leaving tomorrow).

I'm happy to hear that you made it to Shanghai, but remain in "the stupidest redemption ever" camp.

mster Aug 9, 2015 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 25246292)
It does NOT cost $200 to fly from ctu to sha. In fact, even f only requires $180 (I searched for flights leaving tomorrow).

I'm happy to hear that you made it to Shanghai, but remain in "the stupidest redemption ever" camp.

For my dates it was $200-270 per person as stated - may have something to do with buying close-in Y with a Saturday departure... Either way I really don't see the rationale of questioning the prices I was quoted / saw on kayak, ctrip etc. :confused:

Good catch on it not being an angled lie flat - didn't bother to adjust and just assumed since it was a "hard shell" - still a top notch domestic J seat.

mster Aug 9, 2015 10:54 pm

7500 eco redemptions for CTU-HKG & HKG-PVG weren't available or I would've considered those over biz.

I understand the preference for nonstop flights within this part of asia and I'm not arguing that this was a value redemption. The title of the thread is "Creative Intra-China routing options on OW" not "Cheapest domestic china flights with solid on time performance" so I find the random flaming / "stupidest" / "most ridiculous" responses very odd.