FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Connection Time in Christchurch, NZ (CHC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1963359-connection-time-christchurch-nz-chc.html)

hmkane Mar 31, 2019 9:43 am

Connection Time in Christchurch, NZ (CHC)

I arrive from Queenstown, NZ (ZQN) at 17:35 on NZ5654 (ATR76). I then have one hour and ten minutes to transfer to EK413. EK413 leaves at 18:45. All of this is booked under the same ticket (purchased through Qantas). I know this would be a valid connection in the U.S., especially for such a small airport (domestically, I had an hour connection in Atlanta (ATL) and made it with plenty of time). My only concern is how far in advance EK413 (A380 flight) would board. Anyone know if this connection is a good idea, and if I’m likely to make it?

Mwenenzi Mar 31, 2019 3:00 pm

hmkane Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by hmkane (Post 30949130)
I arrive from Queenstown, NZ (ZQN) at 17:35 on NZ5654 (ATR76). I then have one hour and ten minutes to transfer to EK413. EK413 leaves at 18:45. All of this is booked under the same ticket (purchased through Qantas). I know this would be a valid connection in the U.S., especially for such a small airport (domestically, I had an hour connection in Atlanta (ATL) and made it with plenty of time). My only concern is how far in advance EK413 (A380 flight) would board. Anyone know if this connection is a good idea, and if I’m likely to make it?

If QF (NZ EK) book as 1 ticket they base that on being able to connect. CHC is a small airport: you can walk from one end to the other in 3-4 minutes. If NZ5654 is on time would be OK, but you will not have much spare time. Checked bags will be interlined.
I have flown EK413 (A380) but cannot remember when they closed boarded-: 15 minutes? While the aircraft is the A380 it will not be full.
Possible hold up will be international security:- can be a small queue, but almost everyone else in the queue will be your flight. Sometimes they only have 1 security machine in operation and other times both. Emigration controls are quick, especially your passport can use the e-koisk. Not many international flights leave in the evening.

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Note from 1 Oct 2019 NZ are introducing an ETA and $35 visitor tax.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...w-zealand.html

hmkane Mar 31, 2019 3:20 pm

We fly an ATR into CHC, so a security line on arrival shouldn’t be too long. I think they hold under 30 people. I wasn’t sure how big CHC was, though. Thanks for your help!

Mwenenzi Mar 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by hmkane (Post 30950129)
We fly an ATR into CHC, so a security line on arrival shouldn’t be too long. I think they hold under 30 people. I wasn’t sure how big CHC was, though. Thanks for your help!

No secuirty on boarding prop planes in NZ, but that may be changing.

There is security entering the international area/emigration:- security/bags through Xray machine then passport emigration controls. Security is nothing like in USA.

If all on 1 ticket I would do it.
But if was separate tickets would not. 1:10 would be very tight to retrieve baggage & check in for an international flight.

hmkane Mar 31, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30950147)
No secuirty on boarding prop planes in NZ, but that may be changing.

There is security entering the international area/emigration:- security/bags through Xray machine then passport emigration controls. Security is nothing like in USA.

If all on 1 ticket I would do it.
But if was separate tickets would not. 1:10 would be very tight to retrieve baggage & check in for an international flight.

Yeah, it’s all on one reservation, so bags *should* be transferred between flights, and we’ll already be checked in. How long does NZ Airport security take?

Mwenenzi Mar 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by hmkane (Post 30950153)
How long does NZ Airport security take?

Say 3 minutes. 7-10 minutes would be a long time, unless at a busy airport at a peak commuter run time. (~07:30 or ~17:00). Measured in minutes, not 10 of minutes or hours.

hmkane Mar 31, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30950173)
Say 3 minutes. 7-10 minutes would be a long time, unless at a busy airport at a peak commuter run time. (~07:30 or ~17:00). Measured in minutes, not 10 of minutes or hours.

Wow! It is a lot quicker than the US’s Security.

number_6 Apr 6, 2019 5:36 pm

Your primary risk is on-time performance, see https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...rating/NZ/5654
As one ticket if you miss the EK flight you will be rebooked though it may be 24 hour delay. EK413 is sometimes late leaving CHC, suggesting that they wait for connecting pax :) Good luck.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 6, 2019 9:21 pm

Your main risk is the ZQN-CHC flight runs late. Being in the afternoon increases the risk (delays generally compound). Being ATR rather than A320 increases the risk (less ability to deal with weather issues).

ZQN is a mountain airport, and there aren't many international options out of CHC, so a misconnect is likely to lose a whole day. If that would be inconvenient then personally I'd be aiming for a longer connection at CHC.