Search

palau things to do if dont dive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
palau things to do if dont dive

hi,
going to palau start of may for 4 days with9yr old son-any advice on what to do as we dont dive?
also any advice on where to stay?
thanks
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:12 pm

Can I ask why you are going to Palau if you don't dive?

There is big island and the Little White House, or you can still take a boat out.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Not much point in vacationing in Palau if you don’t dive. If you do dive, it should be on every diver’s must-do list.

Jellyfish Lake is currently closed.

Pelileu is a fascinating glimpse of WWII history, but it is not a realistic visit from Koror unless you are on a dive live aboard.

If you go, you could and should enjoy the spectacular beauty of the Rock Islands by boating through them.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I too am a little confused about why you would go to a place not necessarily easy to get to, without a plan. I do believe the recent history of Palau (from WWII to independence) is quite interesting.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:44 am

Palau housing is quite expensive. Nicest place is PPR. Most places around $100 are junk. Beware of slow internet, which is the norm as it is very pricey
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

we will be in guam and will visit for a few days interested in going snorkelling etc..
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can snorkel in Guam. And dive. See Top 10 Snorkeling Spots on Guam ? The Guam Guide.

I think you can kayak in Palau. Unless you're collecting countries, I don't see a reason the go the Palau. The major draw for Palau is the sharks and those are not in snorkeling sites.

I like Guam a whole lot better than Palau. I'm a diver. YMMV.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Why do so many people need to second guess other's plans? Maybe he is in Guam for 6 months and wants to see another place. Maybe being 1.5 hours from Palau is too enticing to resist, you can't get much closer than Guam, if you ever wanted to check it out, now is the time.

I like to go to random countries when I get an opportunity. They aren't always the 'optimum' place to be for certain reasons, but wanderlust is a thing and different experiences are cool (both the ups and the downs) Of course some people like to add more countries to their list just because. That isn't my thing but to each their own.
erik19283, AmhLe, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Why do so many people need to second guess other's plans? Maybe he is in Guam for 6 months and wants to see another place. Maybe being 1.5 hours from Palau is too enticing to resist, you can't get much closer than Guam, if you ever wanted to check it out, now is the time.

I like to go to random countries when I get an opportunity. They aren't always the 'optimum' place to be for certain reasons, but wanderlust is a thing and different experiences are cool (both the ups and the downs) Of course some people like to add more countries to their list just because. That isn't my thing but to each their own.
Because Palau isn't that great. It isn't underrated. It just doesn't rate well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by s0ssos
But that wasn't the question. The OP stated they are going to Palau. Not asking if they should.
erik19283 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

thanks cpmaverick-its frustrating asking about what to do in palau as we are going and then being told dont go to palau its rubbish.
as you say ,that wasnt the question.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks cpmaverick-its frustrating asking about what to do in palau as we are going and then being told dont go to palau its rubbish.
as you say ,that wasnt the question.
You ll be much better off asking in LP Thorntree. Folk are not as bitter.

I'd like to know the answer to your question too, Palau and East Timor are my last Asian countries to visit.
erik19283 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice..
i have one more question
when in palau for a few days was thinking of doing a day tour to the rock islands.
however,with the pass etc it seems very expensive for one day-is it really worth the expense?
thanks
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Back before the CO/UA merger I had a pile of CO miles and used a number of 'em on various sidetrips out of MNL over a period of 4-5 years in the aughts. It seemed like a pretty good use of 25K to go somewhere unusual like PNI or MAJ AND pick up a stopover on the way back (a two-fer) plus possibly get a gap day to rent a car to go around Guam.

Doing that I got to MAJ (twice), KSA, PNI (twice), GUM, YAP (twice), and ROR. I thought ROR was worthwhile even as a non-diver. Got to go out on one of the snorkel daytrips to the Milky Way and one of the dropoff areas, which was unique. Also Jellyfish Lake, which starts off slowly but becomes more and more of an experience the further out you swim.

Some of the land-based activity isn't that bad. There was a hotel with a pool and a bar with a view, and a half-priced happy hour including Johnny Walker Blue by the drink. Also burgers at Bem Ermil, the closest thing to McDonald's (they get the McMarketing but have no place to go unless headed to Guam). One of the hotels had a beach, but the place where I stayed was kinda unremarkable at $45 or so (then).

Sometimes walking around and seeing the mundane could be kinda interesting. Like a baseball game with the Koror team vs. one of the other provincial teams.

It worked OK as a stopover.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I believe that is for the OP to decide, not you.
CPMaverick, erik19283 and 84fiero like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.