Search

Need Help planning tours around Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Amex Plat, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Smile Need Help planning tours around Australia

Hi All,

I am going to Australia the end of July to mid August, and I'm having trouble deciding on tours. We will be in Port Douglas for 5 nights. There will be 7 adults and 3 children ages, 7,12 and 15.
Then we will be in Melbourne for 2 full days and one half day, we will be 6 adults then and 3 children.
Then we will be in the Gold Coast, Surfer's Paradise for 5 days. There we will just be 2 adults and 3 children.
We will be in Sydney for 7 days total, but I have family that lives there and I'm hoping they will tour us around most days, but I'm open to suggestions for Sydney as well.
I found something online called the iventure card that is good for different cities or all of Australia. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this card. Is it worth the money? Can you get the tours? Are they all included. Are they good quality tours? I keep wanting to online chat with them, but they are never available so I thought I'd ask you all on this forum. Hopefully you have some insight.

Also, I got a quote from someone online for an all day tour for $1275 in Melbourne for Philips Island and one day driving the great ocean road for the same rate for 6 adults and 3 children. Does anybody know of another guide or group tours for less money. We are going for a long time and I think I didn't factor in the cost of all these tours!

I would love to know the best tours (including specific guides or tour companies) for all the cities I mentioned, and hopefully ones that won't break the bank!

Thank you in advance for all you help! I appreciate any bits of info that you can take the time to answer.

With Much Appreciation,
Sagtravelgal
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Any reason that you want to spend all your trip doing tours? Australasia is an pretty simple country to get around at your own pace, I would recommend that you hire an car for part of it.

For example in the Gold Coast what are you wanting to see in the 5 days your there? A quick look shows that you can get a rental car for $208AUD for 5 days (www.apexrentacar.com.au/)
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Tour suggestions

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original post. I don't want to fill everyday with tours. In Melbourne, I thought the kids would enjoy Philips Island and the rest of us would enjoy the Great Ocean Road. Other than that, I wasn't planning to fill every moment with a tour. I just thought I could get advice about what not miss in each city and also if anyone knew of a good tour operator or guide for each recommended activity, I'd be really grateful.
As for driving... Coming from the US I am a little worried about driving on the left side of the road. I am thinking about trying it though...Maybe?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
That make sense, although aren't Phillip Island and the Great Ocean Road in opposite direction to each other?

With Melbourne just note it will be Mid-winter, so make sure you take some warm clothing. Ive been caught out a couple times in Melbourne when its been around -1C (30F) in Mid August.

Are you driving from Sydney to the Gold Coast? if not maybe look at spending a couple of days up the Coast from Sydney.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sagtravelgal
Then we will be in Melbourne for 2 full days and one half day, we will be 6 adults then and 3 children.
< snip >
Also, I got a quote from someone online for an all day tour for $1275 in Melbourne for Philips Island and one day driving the great ocean road for the same rate for 6 adults and 3 children.
For only 2.5 days in Melbourne these 2 full day trips do not leave any time for other activities.
Does the 2.5 days include flying time and time from the airport to hotels?

To me you are trying to do too much in a short time. Do not underestimate the flying time. Australia is big
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=cns-mel...d&MS=wls&DU=mi
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF
Just reading your post, I don't see what benefit you'd get from an organized tour. I'd hire a car for Port Douglas, and Surfers Paradise... Both Sydney and Melbourne a car is almost a liability, so getting around on public transport is pretty easy.

If you did want to do the Great Ocean Road, well that a road which has been designed for driving along, rather than sitting in the back of a bus. That said with only 2.5 days in Victoria, well I've done the Great Ocean Road twice, and each time we took 2 days to really do it (aka explore along the way). It's not a stretch of road where the point is to get from A to B fast.

In all places, you'll easily find a wealth of tourist attractions, since both Port Douglas and Surfers Paradise are pretty much tourist towns, you'll find no shortage of information on things to see any do.

In Melbourne, head to federation square, underneath the building is a visitors center which will have pamphlets and information for things to see and do (and a fair bit of it is free). I'm not too sure where to go in Sydney (although Central Station is probably a good start) to find out what is there to see and do, since it's been years since I've done the tourist thing in Sydney.

This is of course assuming that you don't visit the websites of each of these places before you go...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Driving on the left side is a bit daunting, but doable. There is really no reason to waste money on tours in Australia. When I was in Melbourne (years ago granted) I think we had a car and just went when the penguins were supposed to come ashore. I didn't see how old the children are, but if you are on a tour and they get tired or bored, you're stuck. If you're on your own, you can decide when to come and go. (I should note I hate tours.)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
The only time when tours would be useful would be if you want to see the Great Barrier Reef (which I assume is the case). I wouldn't be hiring a boat (even if you can) on your own. Many tours leave from Port Douglas jetty.

Getting to the Daintree Rainforest and Mossman Gorge may be better on a tour; if you want some good guided commentary, that can be useful but you can drive there yourself as well.

You'll need a car to explore places around Port Douglas like Mareeba (coffee and chocolate), get to the staging point for Kuranda Railway and Scenic Skyway, Cairns itself (though this is probably something you could skip) and the Daintree and Mossman Gorge as previously mentioned.

Stay in Melbourne for the 2.5 days, the drive out to Phillip Island is a very long day trip. Tours are a bit blegh and they will steer you to particular places, not great.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Stay in Melbourne for the 2.5 days, the drive out to Phillip Island is a very long day trip. Tours are a bit blegh and they will steer you to particular places, not great.
It takes 1.5-2 hours to drive each way between Melbourne and Phillip Island, hardly a very long day trip!
Old May 2, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by AdMEL
It takes 1.5-2 hours to drive each way between Melbourne and Phillip Island, hardly a very long day trip!
Not on a tourist coach!

Besides, the penguin parade is later at night so it ends up being a big day on a tour arriving back in Melbourne quite late.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Not on a tourist coach!

Besides, the penguin parade is later at night so it ends up being a big day on a tour arriving back in Melbourne quite late.
True!

Despite having been there many times when I was a child, I had forgotten the penguins don't come in until dusk.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: VA GOLD QF PLAT
Yeah, $1200 for a day trip to see the penguins is a bit heavy fisted.

Plenty of native Australian animals at the Melbourne zoo for a fraction of the cost. Also Werribee Open Plains Zoo or even the rather lovely Collingwood Childrens Farm. All easy access from Melbourne CBD and much much cheaper.

The Great Ocean Road and Twelve Apostles is a terrific drive and past Geelong traffic isn't heavy so you should be right even if you have been conditioned to driving on the wrong side of the road. Geelong into the Melbourne CBD is all fast freeway. If you don't want to drive, wait til you get here and go to the very good tourist centre at Fed Square in Melbourne and they'll will steer you in the right direction in terms of a good price and good product to the Great Ocean Road.

I quite like Port Douglas. It has charm. You can probably expect to pay about $100 a head for each adult on daytrips out to the Barrier Reef. Quicksilver are the big daytrip reef company up there. Sheraton Mirage is offering good rates at the moment. The Sea Temple and Peppers resorts are also great places to stay.

I agree with an earlier respondent. Why five days on the Gold Coast ? It looks great in the photos but is a bit average on the ground. If you really want the beach, consider the far better Byron Bay or Noosa, but if I was coming to Oz for the first time, I'd be dropping the Gold Coast altogether in favour of Sydney, which is a superb city to visit.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I know most say the Gold Coast is not the best. When I was 12 and I went to Currumbin Sanctuary and I loved it. It was one of my favorite memories from my entire Australia trip! I know my kids will love it too! They have jungle ropes courses and loads of fun activities at the Gold Coast for the kids to relax before we return home and they have to go back to school.
We will be in Sydney for 7 days total. So I don't think I need to drop the Gold Coast.
Thank you for the Quicksilver Recommendation.

Thank you to all for your great replies!
Old May 6, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Need Help planning tours around Australia

Was just in Australia for a month last nov/dec - Melbourne/Sydney/Hobart. The great ocean road is a long long long day -I did a private tour (3 people) and it is fantastic but also close to $300 pp - not sure great for kids in/out of car/bus to look at sights/water/nature all day -the highlight was helicopter flight over twelve apostles. with such a large group going on your own would be cheaper or hire a private guide w/van for day.
The penguins are expensive and the tour is also all day as they usually stop at animal sanctuary (kangaroos, koalas, etc) - I didn't do it as noon-10pm and you can't take photos of the penguins and they charge extra for viewing platform closer. I wanted photos of penguins
I did enjoy a tour of a steam train, animal sanctuary, Yarra valley chocolates grey line tour.
In Melbourne, I'd recommend the graffiti walking tour to show you the laneways and the art in the city. Also Wednesday night (check dates) at Queen Victoria Market is great food stalls, craft stalls and music
In Sydney, hop the ferry to Manly for cheaper way to see the Harbour and a nice walk to the beach. Fireworks at darling Harbour are nice.
Australia is super expensive, food, tours, etc
I have some Aussie posts on my blog philatravelgirl.com
Have fun
Old May 8, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Melbourne in August can be cold and grey. Not ideal for going out to Phillip Island and shivering whilst waiting for penguins (but if you do go there, don't pay extra for the closer platform as you see the penguins really close up anyway when you get tired and go to the car park). Plus it is a long and dull journey to get there, and a long and dark journey back. Go instead for a pizza in Lygon Street after seeing grafitti, looking at Ned Kelly's armour in the State Library, and going on the free city circle tram.

The Great Ocean Road is not that great, IMO, and only starts to get interesting once you are 3 hours or more from Melbourne. A long day with early evenings. If you want a day trip, I'd head for wineries in the Yarra Valley, perhaps also with a vsit to the Healesville Sanctuary where you can see Australian animals and birds - and if you time things with the keeper presentations you can touch kangaroos. The birds of prey presentations are also good. Alternatively, head out to Olinda in the Dandenongs to see some great ancient forest.

Save penguins and Apostles for another time when the weather would be better and you'd have more time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.