Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney at the end of Sept. 2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:11 pm
azj
Original Poster

Sydney at the end of Sept. 2011

I'm thinking of heading to SYD and the surrounding area for about a week at the end of Sept. Would this a bad time to go considering the Rugby activities? Given my time constraints of only a week, I'm planning on focusing solely on SYD and its surrounding areas so as not to try to over extend myself. Any advice?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Not at all - the rugby is on in NZ. Great time of the year in Sydney.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Rugby Leage (ARL) finals are on, but this should not be a concern.
There is a public holiday on 3 October.
But, weather should be pretty good.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:36 pm
azj
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm a pretty savvy traveler, but are there any tips for Sydney to stretch my American dollar?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azj
Thanks for the replies. I'm a pretty savvy traveler, but are there any tips for Sydney to stretch my American dollar?
Keep an eye on the exchange rate and if the market does something stupid, causing it to hit or dip below parity for a brief period like it did during the week of the debt ceiling fiasco, buy the AUDs you need! That trip to 0.99 didin't last long and the AUd climbed north of 1.05 rather quickly once markets settled.

It's hovering around 1.034 right now, after spending most of last two weeks north of 1.04.

As an aside, I, an Aussie, found the US to be fairly cheap (w.r.t. food, beverages and stuff) when I visited last year, and our Dollar was only buying 0.83 of yours. Friends who've visited Australia at a similar exchange rate often commented on how expensive (but fresher) they thought our food/groceries were.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Crocodile
Rugby Leage (ARL) finals are on, but this should not be a concern.
Actually, they are the NRL finals
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by azj
Eat at pubs - many pubs have a $10 special (particularly for lunch), it's invariably terrific food and lots of it. And you don't have to tip, so when it says $10 that's what you pay, not $12.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ421
Actually, they are the NRL finals
Damn that Ruperty Murdoch and his Super League!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Eat at pubs - many pubs have a $10 special (particularly for lunch), it's invariably terrific food and lots of it. And you don't have to tip, so when it says $10 that's what you pay, not $12.
Do you mean "hotels" dear chap .......

Us Brits can't get use to hotels that don't rent out rooms .......
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by uk1

I think if you said I'm going down to the hotel for a meal most in Australia would assume you meant the bed not booze type. "Pub" is used in conversation "hotel" on the signage of said establishments.

I certainly wouldn't recommend tourists asking locals if they know of any good hotels. That goes double in the Cross.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by uk1
No, I meant pubs, exactly as I said.

Originally Posted by uk1
Can't you? What a dreadful pity.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
I think if you said I'm going down to the hotel for a meal most in Australia would assume you meant the bed not booze type. "Pub" is used in conversation "hotel" on the signage of said establishments.

I certainly wouldn't recommend tourists asking locals if they know of any good hotels. That goes double in the Cross.
I think that he might be looking for a decent troll-feeding pub - if I think of any I'll post them here for him.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:12 pm
azj
Original Poster

Um... wow, thanks? I realize I could spend a whole week in SYD alone, but some people in my group want to go up to Cairns for at least 2 days to do some snorkeling etc... How realistic is it really, to squeeze this couple of days in? Would we better of exploring the Blue Mountains or something closer?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by azj
Um... wow, thanks? I realize I could spend a whole week in SYD alone, but some people in my group want to go up to Cairns for at least 2 days to do some snorkeling etc... How realistic is it really, to squeeze this couple of days in? Would we better of exploring the Blue Mountains or something closer?
I love Cairns, but if you go there it's at least one full day to go to the Reef apart from anything else you might want to do, plus the time it takes to get there from Sydney.

Given your limited time in the country Katoomba in the Blue Mountains is probably a better idea. You could, say, walk down the Giant Stairway from the Three Sisters, take the walk along to the Scenic Railway and catch the railway (funicular) back up. It's about a 90 minute walk and it's some of the most beautiful scenery that you'll see around Sydney.

Katoomba is a two hour train ride from Sydney so it's easily a day trip.

Google "Katoomba" or "Giant Stairway Walk"
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Definitely realistic to go north for a couple of days - if you go weekdays you should be able to get some super cheap flights. I'd recommend flying directly to Hamilton Island though instead of Cairns. You can find realtively cheap accommodation on the Island and the boat trip out to the outer reef is that much shorter. Or if you do cairns, drive to port douglas instead, much nicer than cairns itself. End September is perfect season in the reef.

Eating is pubs is a great recommendation. Good meals for good prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.