Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

WP Award to SJO: Is the Departure Tax Paid For?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion

Howdy all,

In a few short weeks I'll be headed to Costa Rica for some sun and R&R using miles I burned before the fuel surcharge went into effect ^.

I'm looking over the reservation and I can't tell whether or not the departure tax that Costa Rica charges is covered by the ticket. Is this tax something that is usually covered on award reservations by the airline or by the traveler? For the record--I'm flying into SJO on DL and out on CO, with NW segments to get me to/from MSP.

I was able to make it out of Bogota last year without paying the tax thanks to a helpful COPA CSA who told me to go to some window and repeat the word "tourista" until the person there stamped my passport. Should I expect something similar at SJO ?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:52 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So don't recall the specifics of SJO but usually if the airline collects the departure tax when you buy the ticket, you pay it in advance with all the other taxes and fees when you book it. However, if not, then it's up to you to pay for it. Airlines never pay the tax for you for free.....
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm pretty sure you have to pay the tax ($26, I think) separately. You can pay it at some banks, or at the airport before you leave. The lines can sometimes be brutal, so don't cut it too close. Depending on what time your flight arrives, you can sometimes go to the departure level and buy it then, as well. I think they close at 9 or 10pm.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I swear I had to stop at a local office at the Marriott hotel (there was an onsite TA office) who processed the departure tax
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
I swear I had to stop at a local office at the Marriott hotel (there was an onsite TA office) who processed the departure tax
Yes, or find an official with a page of adhesive stickers at the airport. While it may be fair to say that departure taxes typically are covered in the collected fare, this one wasn't for me.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
You are on the hook for the $26 departure tax. The counter is just inside the entrance to the ticketing area across from Continental. Pay before going to the airline ticket counter.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG, NW Worldperks
I used a credit card to pay, and somehow they charged it as a cash advance, even though I didn't give a PIN. So it was $26 + $10 cash advance fee.

Beware!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smackfu
I used a credit card to pay, and somehow they charged it as a cash advance, even though I didn't give a PIN. So it was $26 + $10 cash advance fee.
I would certainly contest the $10 fee.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geoffco
You are on the hook for the $26 departure tax. The counter is just inside the entrance to the ticketing area across from Continental. Pay before going to the airline ticket counter.
There are two desks on the departure level. One near each end of the terminal. As has been stated before, you can pay at some banks and other companies for this.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Thanks for the info and warnings everybody! I'll make sure and have the $$ ready

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.