Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold

Hello, Im looking for a little help...

Pretty soon (21 Jun) I wll be taking a fligth HNL-MSP-EWR, and I would be interested in upgrading to WBC/First on the 333. The problem lies in my status, or lack thereof!

Is this a route where NW are likely to offer an Upgrade for purchase? I am traveling on a Q fare basis, if that makes any difference. I would guess I might be able to u/g at the kiosks or at the desk? And is there any indication of how much this might cost?

Forgive me if this is an rater basic question, but I am not accustomed to flying in the States, being from Europe!

Thanks, in advance
Brian.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:11 pm
mdb

Status really doesn't help. You'll need an upgradable ticket and that is a B fare or higher.... and IF you can find space you'll need to use your miles to upgrade.

Other than buying a WBC ticket - that is about it... sorry to be the bearer bad news....
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by mdb
Status really doesn't help. You'll need an upgradable ticket and that is a B fare or higher.... and IF you can find space you'll need to use your miles to upgrade.

Other than buying a WBC ticket - that is about it... sorry to be the bearer bad news....
No need for status for paid U/Gs ex-HNL. If they have space, they'll sell you one. Your problem is the fact that the 330's are usually booked chock full up front to/from HNL.

Of course, YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:24 pm
mdb

Originally Posted by notsosmart
No need for status for paid U/Gs ex-HNL. If they have space, they'll sell you one. Your problem is the fact that the 330's are usually booked chock full up front to/from HNL.

Of course, YMMV.
Really -- so it is not like TATL TPAC ? - My bad. How much do they sell them for, and what fare basis do you need to have?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: NW Silver Elite
The 330's are the trans-atlantic birds so the seat will be WBC but the service will be domestic first class. I have seen up's sold for a few hundred $ when available.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 2:52 pm

The HNL-MSP segment won't be a problem. It should be 350 dollars assuming there are seats upfront. MSP-EWR will be more difficult, as inside the continental US upgrades are seldom available for purchase (doesn't hurt to ask though).
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Do they let you use miles at all for an upgrade like that outside of at the time of purchase? I thought OLCI and at the gate were only paid upgrades. IIRC the HNL-MSP leg is 350 and HNL-west coast is 250.

I'm hoping for one on the 17th! Got 2 standard first awards on MKE-MSP-HNL, but only one on the return so the other one has a perkpass economy at least I have the exit. If only it were oversold!

Here's the answer from the WIKI...for more info, check it out on the top of the forum page!

" Using Miles to Upgrade All Hawaii Flights:

Domestic mileage upgrades to Hawai'i pull from "R" class, meaning they're a little harder to come by since the implementation of "R" class. There are no automatic or free upgrades to elites on any of the Hawai'i routes with the exception of Hawai'i residents. Mileage upgrades are 17,500 miles from discounted Coach each way and vary in price on the day of departure. Read below for more info.

Here's a few tips on upgrading to Hawai`i on a domestic flight:

* There is now only one way to check "R" class availability to see if there are upgradeable seats on your flight to Hawai`i. You will need to use www.nwa.com. Check the "WorldPerks Mileage Upgrade" option on the homepage. Enter in your flight data and select your flights as if you were booking your ticket. If the flight is displayed as First and the fare basis code is NOT a Y-26/27 type fare, then there is upgradeable First Class availability (R class) on that flight. "R" Class availability goes fast, so call ASAP. Check daily as seats may/will open up closer to departure.
* If you haven't already purchased your ticket. Use the "WorldPerks Mileage Upgrade" option mentioned above to purchase your ticket from nwa.com. You can choose which segments you wish to upgrade with miles and process your transaction without having to speak to an agent.
* If all else fails, day of departure upgrades are available for purchase at the airport. These upgrades cost anywhere from $250-$350 depending on destination/departure cities and are first come, first served (read: don't wait till you get to the gate, ask the frontline agents if any are available). If there are a number of people who wish to be upgrade, please note that there may be a waitlist for a day of departure upgrade.
* There are very rarely any operational upgrades given on Hawai'i routes and if you do get one, consider yourself very lucky.
* Mileage upgrades are not available at the airport. "

Last edited by mkenwayx; Jun 4, 2007 at 9:51 pm Reason: found the WIKI!!! Never saw it before...nice work!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
Do they let you use miles at all for an upgrade like that outside of at the time of purchase? I thought OLCI and at the gate were only paid upgrades. IIRC the HNL-MSP leg is 350 and HNL-west coast is 250.
As you found in the Wiki, which was stripped from a post I made in the past, mileage upgrades can't be processed at the gate.

If you're looking to purchase a DoD upgrade (can't be done online, AFAIK), do it immediately when you get to the airport, especially in HNL. The frontline agents will be able to snag the seats faster than if you tried to do it at the gate.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Be prepared to spend $$$ for the upgrade, all my attempts using just miles have failed (so my success rate is in fact zero). I'd be willing to pay maybe $100 plus miles for it, but the upgradeable fares I've come across for my days of travel have always been $200-300 more than the cheapest fare. Guess I'll just have to save up the 150,000 miles for roundtrip first class non-saver award to finally get into first on a A330.

Good luck to you though!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I was traveling HNL-SEA last week and it seemed there was at least one person who upgraded using miles, but whether it was at the gate or elsewhere, I don't really know.

On my flight they were selling upgrades into first for $250, and the cabin went out full. I was lucky enough to get an op-up because someone else had also been assigned to my seat and being a platinum they upgraded me into the last available first class seat.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:04 pm

Mileage Upgrade Worked at the Gate

[QUOTE=slippahs;7850732]As you found in the Wiki, which was stripped from a post I made in the past, mileage upgrades can't be processed at the gate.

My son (a silver at the time) had a military person upgraded at the gate LAX/HNL using his 17,500 miles. I was proud of him!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I stand corrected. The HNL WC ladies have told me that it's a no-go for mileage upgrades at the gate.

That might then just be the policy in HNL.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:06 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Guess I'll just have to save up the 150,000 miles for roundtrip first class non-saver award to finally get into first on a A330.
If WBC on the A330 is what you want, just find a PerkSaver to EU for 100k. You get the WBC service, too, so better service, fewer miles
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:34 pm

What is the earliest time that you can request a day of departure upgrade for cash? At the time of check-in at the airport or is it ever offered via OLCI? Can you call in to request it?

The reason I ask is whether it's worth making a trip out to the airport on a return from HNL if your flight isn't until evening.

Last edited by Lurker1999; Oct 8, 2007 at 4:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
What is the earliest time that you can request a day of departure upgrade for cash? At the time of check-in at the airport or is it ever offered via OLCI? Can you call in to request it?

The reason I ask is whether it;s worth making a trip out to the airport on a return from HNL if your flight isn't until evening.
It's strictly limited to airport check-in only. I unfortunately don't know how early you can get it at the airport. Maybe a call to the ladies at the HNL WC will answer this question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.