Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrades on NW flying to/from Hawaiʻi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by psychtobe
huh? because the apostrophe is backwards?
I've used Times New Roman so one can see the differences in punctuations.

While this is getting far off topic, let me just put this to rest so we can move on. Hawai'i, with a regular apostrophe is incorrect, as written in its correct Hawaiian language form. Hawai`i is quasi-acceptable because it is a hypercorrect spelling of Hawaiʻi (used with an okina). The 50th State is officially the State of Hawaiʻi, not Hawaii. Course, I, or most people from Hawaiʻi, won't judge you if you're lazy and omit the ʻokina. But the correct Hawaiian spelling is most frequently used to get people to pronounce Hawaiʻi correctly...

If you notice, my location and signature all use the ʻokina; however, the Arial font doesn't pick it up well, so many just use `. Okay, back to the topic of paid upgrades to and from Hawaiʻi. Since I edited the topic title when I merged posts, I'll correct it with proper use of the ʻokina.

Last edited by slippahs; Jan 28, 2008 at 11:35 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
SEA-HNL A330 schedule?

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but was the only semi-related thread I could find. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii this spring from SEA - does anyone know when the A330 changes back to a 757? It looks to be sometime in late April or early May judging by the itineraries I've been experimenting with on NWA.com, but wondering if anyone has more definitive insight

thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
don't think that the agent won't ask you to show a valid HDL or passport with a Hawaii address.
So let's just say for argument's sake I change my NW address back to my
Hawaii Residence ( which is rented out now ) in order to qualify, try to use an upgrade certificate, but only have my California driver license and a European Passport with a Japanese address?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:31 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
So let's just say for argument's sake I change my NW address back to my
Hawaii Residence ( which is rented out now ) in order to qualify, try to use an upgrade certificate, but only have my California driver license and a European Passport with a Japanese address?
You should just get a Hawaii driver's license and save the potential trouble.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
You should just get a Hawaii driver's license and save the potential trouble.
You are right, first, though, I need to find my original SS card. You
know : no SS card, no HDL. It's somewhere in my things somewhere
in this world. Till then they told me to keep using my CDL.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
You are right, first, though, I need to find my original SS card. You
know : no SS card, no HDL. It's somewhere in my things somewhere
in this world. Till then they told me to keep using my CDL.
Just don't forget that when you get your HDL, the CDL will automatically get canceled. Don't know if that has a big effect on you.

Course, this will probably be moot when Skymiles takes over...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Not sure if this will work or if it is legal but could you not just go to HI, take the driving tests, and get a second license, so you still have your CDL?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:13 am

Just don't forget that when you get your HDL, the CDL will automatically get canceled. Don't know if that has a big effect on you.

Course, this will probably be moot when Skymiles takes over...
Good point on both. First one makes no difference, second one would
be disappointing.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by mrblueeyes
Not sure if this will work or if it is legal but could you not just go to HI, take the driving tests, and get a second license, so you still have your CDL?
The point is not the CDL, the point is that in order to get a HDL, I need
to produce my original SS card. But maybe I could get a duplicate of the
SS card. In any case, let's go on with the upgrade coupons instead of
my DL situation. Don't mean to hijack this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
Personally I found upgrading a K fare for 17,500 miles into F on the A330 to be the best use of miles, ever! What a great experience and good value, too. I highly recommend it!
I was doing a search to see what is the lowest fare class that can be upgraded with miles and this poster upgraded a K fare for 17,500 miles. Someone earlier in the thread said that it had to be at least a B fare. Which is it?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I was doing a search to see what is the lowest fare class that can be upgraded with miles and this poster upgraded a K fare for 17,500 miles. Someone earlier in the thread said that it had to be at least a B fare. Which is it?
It's K for NW elites; non-elites cannot upgrade to/from Hawaii on K/T fares (standard domestic upgrade rules).
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It's K for NW elites; non-elites cannot upgrade to/from Hawaii on K/T fares (standard domestic upgrade rules).
Thanks. I just did a dummy round trip reservation that gave a T fare, and there was a box to check if I wanted to upgrade for 35,000 miles. If that appears, then is the upgrade confirmed if I check the box and buy the ticket?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:57 pm

Thanks. I just did a dummy round trip reservation that gave a T fare, and there was a box to check if I wanted to upgrade for 35,000 miles. If that appears, then is the upgrade confirmed if I check the box and buy the ticket?
I think if you check the box and book you would have a confirmed FC
seat. For the fun of it, I did a dummy booking and it gave me a fare
plus 65,000 miles and another one plus 35,000 miles. I think those were
L fares, though.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When you check the box, does the price of the ticket not increase? I remember doing this one when logged in with a non-elite account (a dummy search), checking the box and seeing the price increase to book it in a higher fare class. What might also happen is that no upgrade may be applied. Proceed with caution.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:15 pm

When you check the box, does the price of the ticket not increase? I remember doing this one when logged in with a non-elite account (a dummy search), checking the box and seeing the price increase to book it in a higher fare class. What might also happen is that no upgrade may be applied. Proceed with caution.
I did my dummy booking without logging in and asking from the
start for WBC upgrade, this was MCO-HNL and it popped up w/o
problems. I am a little surprised for this April booking, I was
under the impression that upgrades to HI were hard to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.