Wiki Posts
Search

first time in helsinki- two days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: northwest-platinum- hilton- diamond- starwoods- Marriott
first time in helsinki- two days

Hello I have a business meeting starting Jan 25th.
I am planning on arriving on Friday the 22nd around 1 and will be staying at the
Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa hotel.I plan to take it easy Friday to adjust and then hit the gruond running Saturday and Sunday.
Any advice on best way to get there from the airport as well as what you would do if you had two days of totally free time.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:44 am

There are plenty of older threads. If you don´t provide more specific info about your personal preferences, check them out.

Is there a specific reason to stay at Hilton Kalastajantorppa? I haven´t stayed there, but the location is a nice setting, butr a bit out of the way. If still staying there do not miss going to Seurasaari, a nearby park/outdoor museum, where many go on beautiful winter days to skate, ski, fish etc on the ice.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
The Kalastajatorppa is my favourite hotel in Helsinki but it is definitely not for one that wants to be close to the city center or the action!

The only practical way to get to the "Torppa" from the airport is by taxi. I think it will be about 50€ each way (haven't overnighted nor taken a taxi in Helsinki for a long time).

However, once you are there, there is a convenient tram connection to the city center. Tram nr. 4 takes about 30 mins max.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:37 am

By coincidence, I will be at a conference in Helsinki in June and am looking for a good central hotel to stay at .

Can members please suggest something close to the central station with a/c quiet and wireless internet access .

I have looked at several sites for 3.5 to 4 * equivalents but am confused.

I am happy for a small hotel and would like to have the option of breakfast included.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by ozflier
By coincidence, I will be at a conference in Helsinki in June and am looking for a good central hotel to stay at .

Can members please suggest something close to the central station with a/c quiet and wireless internet access .

I am happy for a small hotel and would like to have the option of breakfast included.

With those requirements, I'd think the Rivoli Jardin might suit you well. This hotel is owned by the grand old lady of the Helsinki restaurant scene, Mrs.Ragni Rissanen and is supposed to have a very personal touch. Location is central but just off the main arteries.

http://www.rivoli.fi/asp/empty.asp?P...65&S=1&C=16148
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:27 pm

Looks perfect but no availability for my dates of 11- 16 june. Theres a big medical conference in town those days so i guess that explains the no vacancies.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: northwest-platinum- hilton- diamond- starwoods- Marriott
thank you

I appreciate all the advice especially the skating one- since I am a relocated yankee down south.
Staying at that hotel becuase it is very close to our office there and I dont mind taking a tram into town etc

thanks again and safe travels to all
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by redeyedgirl
I appreciate all the advice especially the skating one- since I am a relocated yankee down south.
Staying at that hotel becuase it is very close to our office there and I dont mind taking a tram into town etc

thanks again and safe travels to all
Btw, there is a very nice bistro restaurant walking distance from the hotel, Solna. Had a fantastic lunch there last year with some Hongkong based friends.

http://www.solna.fi/eng/
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by ozflier

Check out Glo -- it is very nicely located and quite new. Plus it is not very big.

Cheers,
J.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:01 pm

I think Haven is the number one hotel in town now. It is a smaller, comfortable design hotel with excellent service and a central location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.