Wiki Posts
Search

i leaving OSL at 6:35 am where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:26 am
Original Poster

i leaving OSL at 6:35 am where to stay?

We have a flight from OSL -CDG at 6:35 am
I reserved a hotel near (not at) the airport, but was wondering if I might be better off staying at the train station and taking the train to the airport?
Advice? Thanks!

Cant wait to see Norway!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cminer
We have a flight from OSL -CDG at 6:35 am
I reserved a hotel near (not at) the airport, but was wondering if I might be better off staying at the train station and taking the train to the airport?
Advice? Thanks!

Cant wait to see Norway!
There are 2 Club Carlson hotels in the airport, a Rad Blu and a Park Inn. I have a 6am flight myself the end of the month and booked the PI. Less sweat if I miss the train and alot more sleep time. You can always checkout from your hotel in the city and leave teh bags with them until you are raedy to head to the airport the night before

That said Im using pts and if it was a heck of alot cheaper including any transport needed to the train station in town then I might have stayed there.

Bear in mind theres a so called slow train (just takes a few mins more then the express) thats 1/2 the price of the express 94 Nok instead of 180Nok
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:35 am
Community Director Emerita

We stayed at the Radisson Blu. It's across from the terminal and you can walk to it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:21 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
My choice would be either of the Club Carlsons AT the airport (Park Inn or Radisson Blu), but personally I would prefer one of the hotels at Oslo Sentralstasjon if the price is similar rather than one of the shuttle hotels near OSL. The shuttle takes at least ten minutes, and is not free.

At Oslo S the Comfort Grand Central, the Scandic Byporten and (very nearly) Thon Opera is within the station building. The Clarion Royal Christiania, Scandic Oslo and Radisson Plaza is just across the street. The might be just as convenient as a shuttle hotel near OSL
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ksu
At Oslo S the Comfort Grand Central, the Scandic Byporten and (very nearly) Thon Opera is within the station building. The Clarion Royal Christiania, Scandic Oslo and Radisson Plaza is just across the street. The might be just as convenient as a shuttle hotel near OSL
This is great. What a helpful post. The OP hasn't said what s/he is doing prior to that overnight stay. For me, if I had any time in the evening, I'd prefer to stay at one of these hotels than in the more sterile airport environment.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is great. What a helpful post. The OP hasn't said what s/he is doing prior to that overnight stay. For me, if I had any time in the evening, I'd prefer to stay at one of these hotels than in the more sterile airport environment.
Many times I get to do both. I chjeckout of the hotel I was at in the city and leave my bags at the hotel and spend my time doing whatever I want and catch a very late night transport to the airport and check in there thusly getting a few hours of extra sleep

Im doing that in a couple of weeks time, originally booked VIE-TXL-EWR on a Mon morn with a 7am departure meant having to catch the 1st train at 5am. Instead Im taking a 8:15pm flight the night before to HAM, booked the Rad Blu in the airport and now I can get up at 7am instead of 4am.Too boot I get to EWR earlier as well.Yes VIE has a couple of hotels but Im not a member with them if they have a program at all, and Im using pts. Now Ive never been to HAM and still have no plans to go into the city since I will do doing a day tour all day outside of VIE and dont get into HAM till 9:30pm and Im fine with that since I wouldnt get into town till maybe 11pm and need to be up @ 7am. Id rather get the sleep and if need be soak in a bath or take a steam if they have 1 or sauna

So depending on cost my 1st choice is an airport hotel (in the airport), then a hotel by the airport with a free shuttle and then staying in the city. This is either if Im connecting at that airport and arriving late and out early = no real time once at a city hotel to do anything due to the lateness or a very early morn flight out eg before 8am.

There is no 1 right way, its a YMMV depending on what a person plans to do. And how much it would be $$ wise or pts wise, that helps me make my decision
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:06 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
My point is that with the location of the off-airport hotels and the fact that the shuttle is not free and does not run that often, one can sleep just as long in the morning at one of the hotels at Oslo S as at one of the shuttle hotels near OSL. The airport trains leave on schedule, the shuttle buses at the airport less sol

For travel this week, note that there are no trains from Oslo to OSL. Trains are substituted by buses for the yearly week of engineering work!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksu
My point is that with the location of the off-airport hotels and the fact that the shuttle is not free and does not run that often, one can sleep just as long in the morning at one of the hotels at Oslo S as at one of the shuttle hotels near OSL. The airport trains leave on schedule, the shuttle buses at the airport less sol
I understood all of this, and why I did say in my last post above 'a free shuttle' . Heck Ive found out the hard way even here in the US that a hotel that sold itself as an airport hotel and had a free shuttle had very limited hours w/o any mention of it on there site or confirmation. A call to that chains guest services got me afull refund for the taxi both ways.

But in regards to OSL I wa sreferring to the Blu or PI in the airport wher you can walk there in a few mins time. Or like I mentioned the Blu @ HAM which is exit the arrivals term and bingo you are at the hotel. Now if a person is paying $$ then if it was me I would decide based on what the rate is at the airport compared to the city, at times the city maybe alot cheaper. And what if anything I plan to do if I stayed in the city.

Myself I booke dthe PI @ OSL since it was less pts then the Blu and with a 6:45am flight no way will I be having any breakfast and Im hoping to make it to the hotel by 10pm, so as long as I have a bed and hot shower thats all I need why blow more pts then I have to.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. A hotel shuttle at that time of day was my concern. I will check out the rates at the airport hotels and the Oslo Sentralstajon.
We will be arriving in Oslo the morning of Sept 6 and flying out sept 7, so will have just the day in Oslo. I planned on leaving luggage at train station (assume there are lockers?)
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Thank you all for the suggestions. A hotel shuttle at that time of day was my concern. I will check out the rates at the airport hotels and the Oslo Sentralstajon.
We will be arriving in Oslo the morning of Sept 6 and flying out sept 7, so will have just the day in Oslo. I planned on leaving luggage at train station (assume there are lockers?)
A locker or a luggage room is a waste on money. If you end up staying at the Rad or Park In @ the airport check-in and leave your bags in the room. If you arrive early morn and they wont check you in just leave the bags in their secure room till you get back later that day.

Or if you end up staying in the city just check into your room when you get there or leave the bags in their secure room

Now if you end up staying on the other side of the city from the train station and wont be at your hotel till later in the day then I can understand using a luggage room or locker
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
My choice would be either of the Club Carlsons AT the airport (Park Inn or Radisson Blu), but personally I would prefer one of the hotels at Oslo Sentralstasjon if the price is similar rather than one of the shuttle hotels near OSL. The shuttle takes at least ten minutes, and is not free.

When I take the first flights out of OSL, I'm either doing the Park Inn or Radisson OSL -- which are very close walking distance to check-in -- or do the Scandic Byporten or Comfort GC because it works out better for me than any of the other hotels that are "airport" hotels "near" OSL.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, staying at Park Inn
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Thanks all, staying at Park Inn
I assume you mean the one at the airport. If yes, thats where I was last Thurs night. Bare bones but was happy I didnt stay in town. They were also very nice as I dropped off my checked bag that I didnt need while in Norway. It was nice knowing the term was all of a 5 min walk rather then having to deal with catching a train. Id stay there again if the need arises

Didnt have time for breakfast it starts at 5am and I had a 6:45 flight. Could be if youre down there just as they open up you can eat
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craz
I assume you mean the one at the airport. If yes, thats where I was last Thurs night. Bare bones but was happy I didnt stay in town. They were also very nice as I dropped off my checked bag that I didnt need while in Norway. It was nice knowing the term was all of a 5 min walk rather then having to deal with catching a train. Id stay there again if the need arises

Didnt have time for breakfast it starts at 5am and I had a 6:45 flight. Could be if youre down there just as they open up you can eat
I check in for my flights and then head back to eat at the hotel. For me, the couple of minutes (to walk each way back and forth) is worth it at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.