Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport to Be Renamed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Popular opinion suggests that Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport should be renamed after former Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson, who suddenly died one week ago today of a heart attack in Washington, D.C.

Each link provided herein is a separate news story.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:48 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Ugh... enough with the name changes!

ATL already has a non-generic name -- HARTSFIELD! Unlike certain other airports (like IAH, SJC, EWR), sometimes people even refer to ATL as "Hartsfield"!

Good grief, it takes so many years for a new name for a public facility to be actually used by commonfolk, and now they want to change it? Just leave it, please!
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

I agree. What is wrong with the name simply being Atlanta International Airport, anyway?

However, this is not as bad as Washington Reagan International Airport (DCA), which many people still refer to as National Airport. Besides, Washington National Airport was already named after a former United States president!!!
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Popular opinion suggests that Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport should be renamed after former Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson, who suddenly died one week ago today of a heart attack in Washington, D.C.

Each link provided herein is a separate news story.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 06-30-2003).]
</font>
I think ATL should be renamed Sid Bream Int'l for he has had more impact on Atlanta than Maynard Jackson and the airports incredible Sid Bream like speed in moving around passengers.

[This message has been edited by beofotch (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 6:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
I agree. What is wrong with the name simply being Atlanta International Airport, anyway?

However, this is not as bad as Washington Reagan International Airport (DCA), which many people still refer to as National Airport. Besides, Washington National Airport was already named after a former United States president!!!
</font>
How many names does SNA have???

Old Jun 30, 2003, 7:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimc_usa:
How many names does SNA have???

</font>
Um, John Wayne Intl? I guess it would have 3 total if you count Orange County or Santa Ana.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The name hasn't been Santa Ana for years, yet some airlines still go off the old data.

The proper naming for SNA is as far as a city goes: Orange County, CA for the airport name: John Wayne International

ATC at SNA used to identify as "Orange County" until about 8? years ago and then it was enforced as "John Wayne"... "e.g. John Wayne ground, John Wayne Tower...etc"
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:17 am
ShortyDog

Instead of renaming the airport, why not rename some of the streets. They went overboard with the Peachtree-this and Peachtree-that when naming their roads. I would hate to be a 911 dispatcher . . .

Mamn, where are you located?

On the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree!

Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:01 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ShortyDog:
Instead of renaming the airport, why not rename some of the streets. They went overboard with the Peachtree-this and Peachtree-that when naming their roads. I would hate to be a 911 dispatcher . . .

</font>
Funny you should write that, as there already is a Dekalb Peachtree Airport (PDK) in the Atlanta area.

I still think the airport should be named simply Atlanta International Airport. It is not as though Atlanta has several major airports like New York or Los Angeles and needs to differentiate itself to avoid confusing passengers.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:23 am

Programs: DL, AA
Keep it as Hartsfield already!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:41 am

Programs: Vanishing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:
for the airport name: John Wayne International</font>
Why "international"? There are no international flights in or out of that airport. There was one (Alaska from somewhere in Canada), but it lasted one day. The Alaska found out they needed customs at the airport even if it was precleared at departure, and they scrapped the flight.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Here are three updates, each from a different source:

Update 1.

Update 2.

Update 3.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:43 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by L-1011:
Why "international"? There are no international flights in or out of that airport. There was one (Alaska from somewhere in Canada), but it lasted one day. The Alaska found out they needed customs at the airport even if it was precleared at departure, and they scrapped the flight.</font>
It is definitely not "international". From www.ocair.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
John Wayne Airport (SNA) is owned and operated by the County of Orange.

John Wayne Airport is the only commercial service airport in Orange County.

On June 20, 1979, the Orange County Airport was renamed John Wayne Airport by the Orange County Board of Supervisors to honor the late actor John Wayne.</font>
[This message has been edited by JS (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ShortyDog:

</font>

As Kramer from Seinfeld once said:
"How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, the stupidest name change in recent memory has to be the renaming of Newark International Airport as Newark LIBERTY International Airport. It's supposed to have some connection to 9/11/01, although obviously it's lost on me! Airlines have been slowly but surely changing the airport name on their tickets and boarding passes. I just think it's stupid! And now Atlanta, too? Phooey.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.