Search

Business in the Big Apple

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Business in the Big Apple

Hi Y'all,

My first time on the east coast of the US (from France) for a four day business trip.

Based on the location of our office I've been recommended either -

1) Hilton New York
2) Sheraton New York
3) Parker Meridien
4) Marriott Marquis or
5) Millenium Broadway

I'm sure this question has been done to death, but are there any recent recommendations? The French in me says Meridien, but my HH card says Hilton....
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd choose Le Parker Meridien and I too have an HH card.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
I agree- in addition to being a nicer hotel, they have a great breakfast place called Norma's worth trying (and a pretty good Burger Joint too).
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might also consider the London -- I haven't tried it since if converted over from being the Rhiga Royal but it has gotten good press on FT for a midrange/upscale hotel and is close to the Sheraton NY and Hilton so must be acceptable location-wise.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Thanks for your replies - I've goog'd the London and it looks very tempting indeed, are they affiliated with anyone for points?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have not stayed at the London or the Millenium, but have stayed at all of the others. I agree that Le Meridien is the best of the lot (and I love the burger joint -- it's my favorite burger in NYC; not sure how well Norma's will go over with a Frenchman, as, although good and fun, it's stereotypical American overabundance -- too much food, too sweet, too over-the-top). That said, the Hilton is a fine hotel, so if points are important, it's not a bad choice. So were it my choice, I'd be at Le Meridien (or, more likely, the London, as I'd like to give it a try), but you won't be unhappy at the Hilton.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:27 pm

I've never stayed at any, but have had family, friends and business associates stay at all of the above. Skip the Marriott Marquis. It's a tourist zoo (the others are all heavily trafficked by tourists, too, but the Marquis is the worst).

The Millennium Broadway and Sheraton New York (as opposed to the Sheraton Manhattan across the street, which IIRC isn't as good) are both perfectly decent, but are very big and rather impersonal when it comes to service.

The Hilton is just as big, but a notch more attentive in terms of service (my office is a block away so we often put clients there).

Le Parker Meridien is a little bit smaller (less overwhelming) and has a slightly more boutiquey feel to it. I like it the best of the bunch.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
How about the Hudson, as another alternative to the big dull chain hotels? No points earned that I know of, but more style, and not too far off your zone.

www.hudsonhotel.com
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The London is part of LXR Hotels & Resorts, whch AFAIK does not have a loyalty program.

Also, Le Meridien has just joined the SPG program, so points earnings are now available there (triple poiints until March 2009).

Lastly, another French-accnted alternative is the Sofitel New York, which is located about one long block from the Millineum Broadway:

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-2185...rk/index.shtml
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
How about the Hudson, as another alternative to the big dull chain hotels?www.hudsonhotel.com
For a four day business trip, I would recommend against staying at the Hudson. Unless you enjoy the feeling of claustrophobia. The rooms are exceptionally small and are basically just a bed with very little room to even stand up. It works for a one night quick stay, especially if you've partied a bit too much downstairs at the bar, but four nights would be cruel.

You may want to look at Flatotel on 52nd street.

Last edited by rt1flea; Nov 17, 2008 at 9:03 am
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Flying Blue, UA, AA, Starwood Gold
The Hudson is indeed a nice hotel, however the rooms are very small. If you are not planning to spend much time in your room, this is a good option. The hotels has a cozy library with a fireplace, a private park (better during the summer), a nice bar, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.