Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Protocols for connections at NYC airports during COVID (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protocols for connections at NYC airports during COVID (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Are you allowed to make connections in JFK?

If you are from a state that is on NY's quarantine list, but all you do in NY is fly into JFK, hang out in the airport, and then go on a flight that leaves JFK, is this allowed?

Last edited by dstan; Nov 1, 2020 at 10:16 am Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
If you are from a state that is on NY's quarantine list, but all you do in NY is fly into JFK, hang out in the airport, and then go on a flight that leaves JFK, is this allowed?
Yes, this is no problem.
seawolf and flyerfirsts like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, this is no problem.
Thanks, one less variable to have to track. Now I just have to hope by some magic we are allowed in Italy in the next 2 months.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Is it allowed to make a JFK-EWR overnight transit if you are coming from Japan as a non-US citizen? Japan seems to not be on the ban list, and NJ's COVID page doesn't mention anything about it, but NY's page seems to disallow Japan, which is incredibly confusing. Any ideas?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Is it allowed to make a JFK-EWR overnight transit if you are coming from Japan as a non-US citizen? Japan seems to not be on the ban list, and NJ's COVID page doesn't mention anything about it, but NY's page seems to disallow Japan, which is incredibly confusing. Any ideas?
I believe that will depend on what your citizenship is. A lot of non-US citizens are currently unable to enter the country which a JFK-EWR transfer would require.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:26 pm

Yes, stays under 24 hours are allowed explicitly if you're landing in JFK. No quarantine required.
If you're landing in EWR, New Jersey's quarantine language only makes it highly recommended (not legally required afaik).
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes, stays under 24 hours are allowed explicitly if you're landing in JFK. No quarantine required.
If you're landing in EWR, New Jersey's quarantine language only makes it highly recommended (not legally required afaik).
When you say explicitly, is this written anywhere bychance?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:54 pm

When you say explicitly, is this written anywhere bychance?
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.
"
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:00 pm

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.
"
Hmm no, hang on, I read that as referring to coming from a US state with a relatively high COVID-19 spread. It says nothing about arriving from an international location (and in my other link, which is also NY, it seems to suggest Japan is a mandatory quarantine) -- or about transiting NY?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:07 pm

Hmm no, hang on, I read that as referring to coming from a US state with a relatively high COVID-19 spread. It says nothing about arriving from an international location (and in my other link, which is also NY, it seems to suggest Japan is a mandatory quarantine) -- or about transiting NY?
NY has no quarantine for international arrivals, can you quote where you see that?

Regardless, NY quarantine isnt being enforced anyways
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:09 pm

NY has no quarantine for international arrivals, can you quote where you see that?

Regardless, NY quarantine isnt being enforced anyways
It's the link I posted. Not sure how to interpret that (what the hell does "while COVID-19 was prevalent" mean, lol):

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/tr...nd-quarantines

Originally Posted by NY

Quarantines

Local Health Departments (LHDs) must utilize the following definitions in determining whether or not to institute a mandatory or precautionary quarantine:

Mandatory Quarantine
  1. Person has been in close contact (6 ft.) with someone who is positive but is not displaying symptoms for COVID-19.
  2. Person has traveled to China, Iran, Japan, South Korea or Italy and is displaying symptoms of COVID-19.
Mandatory Isolation
  1. Person has tested positive for COVID-19, whether or not displaying symptoms for COVID-19.
  2. LHDs must immediately issue an order for Mandatory Quarantine or Isolation once notified, which shall be served on the person impacted.
Precautionary Quarantine- Person meets one or more of the following criteria:
  1. Has traveled to China, Iran, Japan, South Korea or Italy while COVID-19 was prevalent, but is not displaying symptoms.
  2. Proximate exposure to a positive person but has not had direct contact with a positive person and is not displaying symptoms.
Any person the Local Health Department believes should be quarantined that is not addressed through the interim guidelines, should contact the Department of Health.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:14 pm

Even for that the pdf includes exemption for 24 hour transit in your link
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:31 pm

Even for that the pdf includes exemption for 24 hour transit in your link
I feel like you're probably right but I can't seem to find what you're saying written in that PDF regarding arrivals from international.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Thanks, one less variable to have to track. Now I just have to hope by some magic we are allowed in Italy in the next 2 months.
That is extremely unlikely.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
NY is not requiring quarantine for arrivals from foreign countries. Some US states are such as Massachusetts and probably Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.