Reload this Page >

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:58 am
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m wondering why the state would not permit someone to leave the state entirely prior to quarantine being over. Wouldn’t that be even better than keeping the person in the state? Are they allowing quarantined folks to get groceries and/or seek needed medical care? That would certainly be worse than allowing the person to leave.

OP, what are means of transport? That may matter.
Thank you. My plan is to travel by car to/from Philadelphia (car rented at PHL) and to not stay in NYC more than six hours. My destination in NY City will be **my quarantine location.** While at my quarantine location I am willing to comply with all conditions imposed by the order.

My only problem is with the minimum 14-day requirement. As written, the executive order seems to imply that once I enter NY state, I have to stay there for 14 days, in quarantine. I called the NY health department COVID hotline this morning. The person who answered the phone said that there is a minimum 14-day stay requirement. Upon further discussion she acknowledged that she was just reading the same executive order I was reading, and that this was her interpretation. She said that additional information and clarifications might be released soon by the Governor's office.

I also tried to seek clarifications from the Commissioner of Health and from the Governor's office, but so far I have not been successful.

As I said in a previous message, my goal here is not to circumvent the rules but to find out if I can make my trip while remaining compliant with the rules.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's important to read the Health Commissioner's Guidance carefully. OP says that he is traveling to Manhattan for a day trip. That is necessarily less than 24 hours and is thus exempt. While OP's trip does not fit the examples provided, the language of the Guidance is clear that the example is not a limitation:

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through
designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.
Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for
vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel."
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:14 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It's important to read the Health Commissioner's Guidance carefully. OP says that he is traveling to Manhattan for a day trip. That is necessarily less than 24 hours and is thus exempt. While OP's trip does not fit the examples provided, the language of the Guidance is clear that the example is not a limitation:

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through
designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.
Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for
vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel."
I think what the commissioner means by "designated state" is my home state of Texas. In other words, if someone flies from New Mexico through Houston and then arrives at LGA, that person is exempt because the person will have been in the State of Texas for less than 24 hours. Thus, there is no 24-hour exemption for my case. As the order stands now, I would have to stay in NY a minimum of 14 days because I will have been in Texas more than 24 hours before arriving in NYC.

Last edited by txp; Jun 25, 2020 at 10:19 am
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by txp
I think what the commissioner means by "designated state" is my home state of Texas. In other words, if someone flies from New Mexico through Houston and then arrives at LGA, that person is exempt because the person will have been in the State of Texas for less than 24 hours. Thus, there is no 24-hour exemption for my case. As the order stands now, I would have to stay in NY a minimum of 14 days because I will have been in Texas more than 24 hours before arriving in NYC.
OP, I think you are reading that right. Still, I just can’t imagine they’d want you in the state for 14 days when it could be 6 hours. Especially if you arrive and depart by private car and go to one location. The order is poorly written. Does it even address the matter of someone driving or otherwise transiting the state en route to another state outside of quarantine area?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:42 pm

I have to ask, what is the format of this "business meeting" that makes you believe that participating in it qualifies as being in quarantine? Not having a clear exception for leaving earlier than 14 days may very well be intentional -- it defeats the purpose to have an influx of business travelers going "haha, I'm quarantining on this side of the conference room. Everyone try to stay away (except in the shared bathroom/hallway/cafeteria)"

I'm not saying you're trying to do that, but "at a business meeting" was specifically mentioned in one news article talking about how violators might be caught.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:10 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmastron
I have to ask, what is the format of this "business meeting" that makes you believe that participating in it qualifies as being in quarantine? Not having a clear exception for leaving earlier than 14 days may very well be intentional -- it defeats the purpose to have an influx of business travelers going "haha, I'm quarantining on this side of the conference room. Everyone try to stay away (except in the shared bathroom/hallway/cafeteria)"

I'm not saying you're trying to do that, but "at a business meeting" was specifically mentioned in one news article talking about how violators might be caught.
Good question, and I am sorry I was too cryptic before.

The business meeting location is a family member's apartment in Manhattan (there is a business aspect to this visit as well as family) and I would be quarantining in that person's apartment for a few hours. No contact with anyone else in the state during my stay. In my opinion, this meets all quarantine requirements contained in the Commissioner's order, except for the 14-day requirement. I just don't want to be stopped by the police on the way out of Manhattan and be fined for not remaining confined for 14 days in my relative's apartment. As the order is currently written, I would be unable to leave NY State for 14 days.The other thing that could happen, under the strictest interpretation of the order, is that the doorman at that apartment building upon seeing me leave the building and not knowing the particular circumstances is *encouraged* to call the health department and report a quarantine violation. This is very clearly written in the order. This is why I am trying to seek clarification from state officials but so far I have been unable get an answer. I will keep trying.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:14 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
OP, I think you are reading that right. Still, I just can’t imagine they’d want you in the state for 14 days when it could be 6 hours. Especially if you arrive and depart by private car and go to one location. The order is poorly written. Does it even address the matter of someone driving or otherwise transiting the state en route to another state outside of quarantine area?
I know. I tried to get clarifications from the Office of the Governor and from the Office of the Health Commissioner. So far, no luck. One of the persons who answered the COVID hotline at the call center told me that based on her read of the order, anyone who enters the state has to remain in quarantine for 14 days. She said no one can leave before the 14-day period is over. I tried to explain politely that this does not make sense: take, for example, someone driving from Florida to NH passing through NY State. That person should be allowed to transit through the state without having to quarantine for 14 days. She insisted that everyone has to remain confined for 14 days. Whoever wrote the order clearly did not think about travelers who intend to stay less than 14 days in NY.

What's interesting is that the quarantine "requirement" is a legal requirement only in NY. In NJ and CT it's optional -- a strong recommendation but not a legal requirement the violations of which could lead to jail time.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stimpy
Even if they start stopping people at the airport, there is an easy way around this. Just fly to D.C. and jump on the Amtrak Acela or even a regional train. You can go to Philly, Newark, New York, Providence, Boston, etc. I guarantee they will not have agents at all these train stations checking where you came from.
As a data point, I took the Acela yesterday afternoon from DC to New York. There is still no control anywhere other than the train conductor checking my Amtrak ticket. Penn station is nowhere near as busy as pre-COVID times, but it is still pretty busy. Much busier than Union Station in DC.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Early on when NY's CORONA cases were "raging", RI was planning a "ban" on NY'ers entering--didn't Cuomo have strong objections.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:40 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
Early on when NY's CORONA cases were "raging", RI was planning a "ban" on NY'ers entering--didn't Cuomo have strong objections.
Cuomo's position is that a quarantine is different from a ban. A ban on travel across state lines is probably unconstitutional. A quarantine is not. That much I agree with Cuomo.

This said, there is an aspect of Cuomo's order that is probably unconstitutional: preventing people from leaving NY State before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. As a comparison, Hawai'i's order mandates quarantine for 14 days or the duration of stay in Hawai'i, whichever is shorter. Cuomo's order does not have a "whichever is shorter" exception, suggesting that once you enter the state you are required to remain in confinement in New York State for 14 days. It is this specific aspect of Cuomo's order that probably violates the constitution -- I don't think NY has the right to prevent a law-abiding resident of Texas from voluntarily returning to his home state.

Last edited by txp; Jun 27, 2020 at 8:27 am
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by txp
Cuomo's position is that a quarantine is different from a ban. A ban on travel across state lines is probably unconstitutional. A quarantine is not. That much I agree with Cuomo.
What ban? Cuomo is just a liar.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/rhode-isla...ry?id=69862605

The new order mandates all out-of-state visitors stay in isolation for 14 days.

Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:19 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
What ban? Cuomo is just a liar.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/rhode-isla...ry?id=69862605

The new order mandates all out-of-state visitors stay in isolation for 14 days.

Article IV Section 2 of the US constitution states: The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

I hate to agree with Cuomo but I believe he is right. The original RI order was unconstitutional because only NY residents were to be placed in quarantine. Article IV Section 2 says that State A (RI) may not treat residents of State B (NY) differently from those of State A and from those of State C (the remaining 48 states). That's what the original RI was doing -- it was discriminating based on residence and this is not legal.

So Cuomo called the RI governor to complain that the RI order, as originally written, was unconstitutional because the quarantine was triggered by the place of residence, in direct violation of Article IV Section 2. And the RI governor agreed to modify the order.

With the new order, everyone was treated the same. Whether you are a resident of RI, NY, or TX, if you enter RI after having been in another state you have to quarantine. That is, in the new order the quarantine was triggered by travel patterns, not by residency. This is, unfortunately, legal, and Cuomo did not challenge the modified RI order.

In my view, the NY order is also in compliance with Article IV Section 2 because TX residents are treated the same as NY residents -- that is, it is the travel pattern that triggers the quarantine, not the state of residency. Whether you live in NY, NJ, TX, or CA, if you have been in Texas for more then 24 hours in the past 14 days you are subject to quarantine.

The part of Cuomo's order that is, in my opinion, problematic is that everyone is required to remain in quarantine for 14 days and is not allowed to leave the state. Maybe that's not what he intended to do, but that's how the order reads. I don't think that NY can prevent a law-abiding citizen from voluntarily leaving the state before the 14-day quarantine period is over.

Last edited by txp; Jun 27, 2020 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by txp
Article IV Section 2 of the US constitution states: The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.
I thought it was the prerogative of Congress only to regulate interstate commerce, and a state cannot do it? Per the Constitution.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Per quarantine: if you fly from Montana (an OK state) and connect in LAX for a flt to NY, one would NOT be subject to quar.; while originating in LAX you ARE.
Keeping track of people's movements can be a bit tricky.
Side note: There was a period where NYC was under quarantine--but trips to supermarkets and pharmacies were exempt--if you die under quarantine (from lack of food) it wouldn't be too nice.

Last edited by nrr; Jul 3, 2020 at 12:44 am
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by stimpy
Again, it is up to me to control myself. The proper thing to do is to stay at whatever residence you have set up for yourself in New York, remain inside as much as possible, and if you need to go out for food or a meeting, wear a mask. And insist that the people you meet wear a mask if you cannot keep socially distant. If you behave correctly in this manner, then there is no violation of the social contract. In other words, it is not in the least bit like shoplifting.
Effective social distancing is between 12-20 feet outdoors (not in an enclosed room), not 6 feet. 6 feet is when everyone is wearing a mask and not coughing, yelling, or singing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.