Credit card surcharges in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Credit card surcharges in NYC?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/27/new-yo...rd-surcharges/

I didn't know starting in January of this year, restaurants are now adding surcharges for credit card payments. Anyone noticing their favourite restaurants adding the surcharge?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'll certainly be checking this on future visits to NYC

But there is no escape as there are an increasing number of places that are card only and who don't take cash
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'll certainly be checking this on future visits to NYC

But there is no escape as there are an increasing number of places that are card only and who don't take cash
That's fine as I hate carrying cash. I'm sort of surprised that something like this could even happen in NYC. If this was Australia, then I can understand.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:17 pm

I've never noticed a credit card surcharge. I did eat at a restaurant (Bricia on the LES) a month or two ago that had a note on the door about a cash discount. I think it was the first time I'd seen that.

Of course the problem with the cash discounts is that they risk giving away too much. I think Bricia had a 10% discount for paying cash, which is significantly more than they'd get hit for credit card service fees. But the surcharges are more likely to piss off customers.
MSPeconomist and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
I've never noticed a credit card surcharge. I did eat at a restaurant (Bricia on the LES) a month or two ago that had a note on the door about a cash discount. I think it was the first time I'd seen that.

Of course the problem with the cash discounts is that they risk giving away too much. I think Bricia had a 10% discount for paying cash, which is significantly more than they'd get hit for credit card service fees. But the surcharges are more likely to piss off customers.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just accept cards then? Surely all of the card fees won't equal 10%? Man, I'm scared that the US will end up like Europe where these fees are capped. The last thing we need to copy from Europe is their CC model.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:30 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That will get me an automatic 2 star deduction on any review.

And a dispute with my CC company if not disclosed in advance.

I can understand the 10% discount for cash. If handled (im)properly, they can make much more than 10% on a cash transaction than a credit one
Eastbay1K and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
In US surcharges are capped at what merchant pays or 4%, whichever is lower.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I can understand the 10% discount for cash. If handled (im)properly, they can make much more than 10% on a cash transaction than a credit one
"(im)properly" LOL
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll pay in rolls of nickels at any local establishment that adds a CC surcharge.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'll pay in rolls of nickels at any local establishment that adds a CC surcharge.
lmao!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
First time I have heard of this. I will have to check my receipts more closely next time!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
Man, I'm scared that the US will end up like Europe where these fees are capped. The last thing we need to copy from Europe is their CC model.
The thing is, I get where the merchants are coming from. They're basically paying an order of magnitude more to accept cards (compared to Europe and elsewhere) and don't feel like they get much more in return. Why wouldn't they try to make up for it, or at the very least discourage their use?

On the other hand, since card use is pretty common now, why not just raise prices to cover it? Sure, one can argue that this punishes cash users, but cash handling also has costs.

(That all said, I feel like anti-card sentiment is more common in certain parts of the US, particularly NYC and SF.)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This makes no sense. I did manage to get a card surcharge removed from a bill when they refused payment in cash though.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I live in NYC and haven't noticed this at any establishments I frequent.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
I live in NYC and haven't noticed this at any establishments I frequent.
Same here, live in NYC, first I've heard of this ever, only use CC in restaurants (double points) from Bobby Vans (just the other day), Diners to Dives like McDonald's and have yet to see any fee for CC use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.