Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
TWA Hotel Official Website

[The following information taken from its website]

The only on-airport, AirTrain-accessible hotel at JFK, walkable from Terminal 5
Take the AirTrain 24/7, exit at the Terminal 5 stop and follow the signs to JetBlue’s baggage claim area
At baggage claim, follow the signs to the TWA Hotel elevator
Take the elevator up to Saarinen’s iconic flight tubes and walk through to the lobby of the hotel

Check-in time 4 pm, checkout time 11 am

Day stays can be reserved for the following time intervals:
7 AM – 11 AM
8 AM – 8 PM
10 AM – 4 PM
NOON – 6 PM

And from the FAQs page:
Do you offer industry or TWA employee rates?
At this time, we do not offer special industry or TWA employee rates. We do plan to launch a special rate for the members of these important communities soon. Our current rates can be found only on twahotel.com. We do not offer AAA member rates.

I’m a travel agent. Can I make a reservation via the GDS?
The only way to make a reservation for the TWA Hotel is online at twahotel.com. At this time the hotel is not active within the GDS and all rates offered are net, non-commissionable.

Are government rates available?
Yes, the TWA Hotel extends the government per diem rate to all U.S. Federal Government employees and active duty U.S. Armed Forces members. There is a limit of two rooms per night and a valid ID is required at check-in.
Per an email response from the hotel: "The executive rooms provide roughly 40 sq feet more than deluxe, and presidential about 100 additional sq ft." Although asked, the size of the deluxe was not quoted.
Print Wikipost

JFK's iconic TWA terminal now a hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
JFK's iconic TWA terminal now a hotel

Thus was on cbs thus morning

old TWA terminal now a high price hotel costing around $300M

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/up-up-a...-hotel-at-jfk/

Old May 12, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I watched this. I have a reservation at the Connie on opening day. Will report back.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:31 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Staying there next week before my flight to Japan!
Old May 15, 2019, 8:29 pm
mhy

Just read this https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-disarray.html
@dhammer53 how was your stay? Did you get to use the amenities?

Looks like a mess. People on Twitter are saying the rooftop isn't even done yet, and won't be opening for another few weeks.
Considering asking for a refund and rebooking for later. Not sure they'll oblige though?

Last edited by mhy; May 15, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Does anyone know of a promotional code?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow -- Anyone who grew up on the east coast of baby boomer vintage who took one of those high school trips to Europe ("10 countries in 8 days" type tours) probably flew out of that terminal. I figured they would rush it into service before it was ready, but, it's certainly a generational icon.
767-322ETOPS and JBD like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mhy
Looks like a mess. People on Twitter are saying the rooftop isn't even done yet, and won't be opening for another few weeks.
They've always positioned 15 May as a soft launch open. There will be a proper grand opening presently, I presume when most or all the key features are up and running.

I am planning to stay in mid-October. Hopefully the Connie will be online by then.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by mhy
Just read this https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-disarray.html
@dhammer53 how was your stay? Did you get to use the amenities?

Considering asking for a refund and rebooking for later. Not sure they'll oblige though?
I didn't stay overnight. Reports from friends that did were just fine re: their room.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:41 pm
mhy

Originally Posted by BearX220
They've always positioned 15 May as a soft launch open. There will be a proper grand opening presently, I presume when most or all the key features are up and running.

I am planning to stay in mid-October. Hopefully the Connie will be online by then.
They didn't market it that way though. For example, when I made a reservation, I asked them if I could use the rooftop pool and they confirmed I would be able to. Until last night, their website said 'the rooftop pool is open!' and that section was taken down shortly after a lot of people complained on Twitter. It should have been clearer on the website, there was no indication anywhere that several of the key amenities would not be open. IMO, it was a PR disaster.
PACLipper likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The pool is certainly a must. I wonder when the place will be fully amenitized.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found it interesting that the hotel claims to be aiming for a 200% occupancy rate, just like Japanese Love Hotels.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:29 am
mhy

Stayed here last week.

Hotel building is very nice. The lobby is clearly a work in progress and most of the food stands were closed. The Jean-Georges restaurant is only offering a limited menu while they sort things out in the kitchen and will eventually serve a full menu. If you go here, get the truffle pizza-it was fantastic.

Checkin is done via automated kiosks, but there were staff available if needed.

Lobby building itself is an architectural gem, Instagram-worthy. I will note that it did not appear very easy for those in a wheelchair or the physically handicapped to get around the building.

Room was on the smaller side, but ok for an airport hotel and furniture was nice (Saarinen table & chair). The bathroom left a lot to be desired; there was no tub, and the shower wasn’t a closed booth (it has a half width glass wall) and amenities were in shared containers and not separate packaging. The shower had limited adjustment and water pressure was mediocre.

Bed was nice and comfy.

WiFi was blazing fast (350Mbps). I downloaded entire seasons of Amazon shows before my trip.

I had had a runway view room so had the opportunity to watch planes take off and land including SQ, EK A380s. The soundproofing was good; had no issues sleeping.

My main complaints would be:

1) there was only a retro-style phone in the room and I had no idea how to operate it. No instructions were provided to my knowledge. My phone signal was almost nonexistent in my room so this could have been a problem!

2) Also there did not appear to be any way to contact the front desk in case of any requests or an emergency. No instructions anywhere and not even a phone number.

3) no room service offering is currently planned.

4) lack of staff in general. Hard to get a hold of anyone.

Checkout was also automated and very quick.

As expected the roof deck and pool were not open when I stayed; I was offered complimentary drinks at the Sunken Lounge as compensation, which I gladly took and used. The cocktails were excellent.

A staff member told me the roof deck was supposed to open Memorial Day weekend. But I’m not sure if that actually happened.

All in all a perfectly satisfactory stay, though I’m not sure I’d pay $300+ for the hotel in it’s current state. I would give it a few months for them to get their act together before booking an overnight stay and meanwhile enjoy the lobby and amenities as they open.

The lack of staff members was apparent and could be frustrating for those who need assistance. Also the lack of a normal phone in the room (and complete lack of contact information for the hotel’s front desk, not that there is an actual front desk) was annoying. I hope they fix that. For $300 a night you should be able to reach someone quickly over the phone.

Definitely a destination for airplane / architecture enthusiasts, and I could see their day stays being attractive for those with long layovers. I’ll be returning for the roof deck for sure.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhy
1) there was only a retro-style phone in the room and I had no idea how to operate it. No instructions were provided to my knowledge.
Silly millenials!

(It's a rotary phone, google it )
Old May 28, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mhy

1) there was only a retro-style phone in the room and I had no idea how to operate it. No instructions were provided to my knowledge.
I feel so old now.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:37 pm
JBD

Just started a wiki

Since the TWA Hotel's website hasn't been posted yet, figured it should be up top so created a wiki.

My fondest memories as a kid was traveling through this terminal - walking down that curved corridor made me feel like I was in "2001"!

Here are some screenshots from the website (I tried to put them in the wiki, but couldn't figure out how to do it:

767-322ETOPS and dstan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.