Wiki Posts
Search

EWR - Long Connection - Anywhere to Run

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
Question EWR - Long Connection - Anywhere to Run

Ok - here's one for the Flyertalk faithful, and especially you health concious runners out there.

On 30 July (Mon), I've got a long 8 hour connection time at EWR. I'll spend my usual time at the UC. But I'd like to know if anyone is aware if you can run (in or around) the airport? I'm Marathon training and need to get a decent run in and since my originating flight is SO EARLY I can't before I leave.

So perhaps some of you might have ventured beyond the TSA boundary line and driven your heart rate up over something other than waiting for CPU/GPU/RPU's to clear!

Thanks in Advance to any advice!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:23 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to the NYC forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Heck, just dealing with the traffic pattern getting to/from EWR can get one's heart racing.

The area around the airport isn't the best for a long run. You might be okay if you head up to the North Cargo area as there's a lot less traffic there. You could do that by taking one of the parking shuttle buses to the area. There also might be some decent area around the Marriott but you're likely running laps there to stay off the EWR access roads.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA
8 hours should be more than enough time to head into the city, run around Central Park 3 or 4 times, and head back.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If you have a place to shower.
Not sure what mileage you are trying to get in (typically marathon training requires 15+ in my experience)
-Liberty State Park (is your best bet) but requires a car.
-Near the airport the neighborhoods aren't so great and questionable if you are not familiar.
If you wish/can map the following:
Option A (directly from airport) Get to Terminal A - take the service road Brewster Rd (changes to Scargo Earhart Dr) until it ends North Rd or Ave. Take a left on North and continue on this industry road which wraps around the freight area and eventually parallel the NJ Turnpike and railroad yards. It will give you mileage but don't expect any stores/stops and anticipate many trucks but less traffic and lights vs. other roads.

Option B (requires a short bus ride) from the airport take Go28 bus to Branch Brook Park (ask the driver) which has a good loop (with some hills and roadway around lake, etc.) which is 4 miles end to end! If you loop the park 3x you get 18 miles. Bus fare I think is $1.50 and there will be many passengers so be prepared for funny looks if you are sweaty and stinky on the return to the airport. BTW - Branch Brook has a few neighborhoods surrounding for water, snack in the middle and North end.

Anything else requires too much effort and too easy to get lost in a bad place for the mileage you may require.

Unfortunately, I'm not marathon training at the moment or know your pace otherwise, I'd offer to run with you on Monday.

BTW - Update to previous poster - CP is almost 6 mile loop so 4x around would sum to almost a full marathon. I love Central Park which offers hills but requires some level of focus/planning to get there/back from EWR. Can take a bus both ways and/or train/bus into NYC but the park is 1+ mile from the drop off of either bus/train when you think of 8 hrs. gap connection = 1+ hr to get into manhattan, 2.5-3 hrs run, 1+ hr back to airport and time to shower/change for outbound flight and you really want to eat after a long run (airplane food won't cut it). So not certain of your destination but I would not pursue this idea due to the multiple moving parts & expense.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 26, 2012 at 9:57 am Reason: Comment on CP
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:50 am

RooseveltL, "Liberty State Park (is your best bet) but requires a car." - does it? I think OP can take the NJ Transit #62 bus from any terminal to Newark Penn Station, then the PATH train to Grove St., then walk/jog towards LSP (about a mile to the entrance and the second half appears [from Google Maps] to be an industrial area likely to have very few cars and then a pedestrian-only crossing so that part perhaps could be done as a run anyway). I don't know whether LSP is any better or worse a place to run than Branch Brook Park or Central Park, and certainly it is not as simple to get to LSP as to BBP, but it seems like a possibility.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
8 hour layover in Newark gives you plenty of time to run. Keep your running gear handy and change at the UC as soon as you arrive. Leave your bags there. Take the train into the city. You could be at Central Park in an hour. Even if you are running distance, 15+ miles, you could be back to the airport in 4-5 hours easily. You still have plenty of time to shower at the UC, grab a bite to eat, and relax before your flight.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by nrlopso
8 hour layover in Newark gives you plenty of time to run. Keep your running gear handy and change at the UC as soon as you arrive. Leave your bags there. Take the train into the city. You could be at Central Park in an hour. Even if you are running distance, 15+ miles, you could be back to the airport in 4-5 hours easily. You still have plenty of time to shower at the UC, grab a bite to eat, and relax before your flight.
I would entirely recommend Central Park if OP is familiar with workarounds. The bus is easiest from airport into Manhattan - it should take 40 minutes - but risk a traffic tie-up or accident and that jumps to 90 minutes. Run 3 hrs. Return on bus to EWR and issues at Lincoln Tunnel or construction on turnpike can increase return trip to 90 minute trip and viola start stressing as must clear security, shower, eat and board flight. Running should be relaxing and not cause stress. If OP takes the train all of the above disappears as it is more reliable (but any regular commuter knows NJ Transit has its occasional switch delays which exceeds 2+ hrs). While 85% of the time one can get to CP, run and get back to airport within 5.5 hrs with a great story what you did during your lay-over. I think the 15% risk if things go wrong for someone unfamiliar with alternatives (while in running shorts & tank top) makes me cautious and stay local.

I think the LSP public transportation is easier via NJT to Hoboken and LightRail but still significantly easier via car/cab. OP - LibertyStatePark has a view of lower Manhattan skyline and State of Liberty so a really beautiful destination but not the easiest place to get to from EWR airport even though it is only 2 exits (less than 10 minutes) via I78 in a car.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the Inputs

I'm trying to get an 8-10 mi run in before my late afternoon (all night flight).

Anyone familiar with the Weequahic Park area.

I checked this one out on MapMyRun. It's 1 stop (on Bus 37) to/from Terminal C to Meeker/Empire St entrance. From the description it has approx 2 mi loop on rubberized track.

Question - Is this a safe area to run?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by hhmorgan
I'm trying to get an 8-10 mi run in before my late afternoon (all night flight).

Anyone familiar with the Weequahic Park area.

Question - Is this a safe area to run?
I drive by it but never ran there so can't give testimony on safety. If you are running during day I can't say it will be any safer or unsafer but without personal knowledge can't tell you anything besides the surroundings neighborhood is fair/so-so (closer to negative) (not great but not the worst either). I will add - there is probably a reason no one recommended the closest park to the airport.

What is your ppm?

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Kind of a bit OT but if one runs 8-10 miles on a July afternoon anywhere around NYC he/she will not exactly be a pleasant smelling (or looking) individual afterwards. Does the OP really want to go through check in and walk into an airport lounge (albeit with hopefully a shower) sweaty and smelly.

I think about what I look like in the morning after 90 minutes on the stairmaster at the gym (the air conditioner in the gym at that point really is not working yet) and I could never imagine going straight to the airport afterwards without a shower.

Maybe the OP could find a gym nearby that offers day passes and use a treadmill.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think about what I look like in the morning after 90 minutes on the stairmaster at the gym (the air conditioner in the gym at that point really is not working yet) and I could never imagine going straight to the airport afterwards without a shower.
@NYGeorge - don't use the stairmaster as the excuse for your morning appearance & odor. ONLY J'KIN!! I don't know you but couldn't resist.

Even after 10 miles in humidity OP probably still has a slightly better scent vs. other travelers flying all day/night (after eating certain foods).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
What is your ppm?
Running an E-pace run, which for me is 9:30 to 10:15 min/mi depending on heat, terrain or aches/pains.

I'm new to the Marathon training but it's become a personal goal this year. I've got a 1/2 Marathon race 19 Aug and full marathon 21 Oct. If all goes well on these I'll be sponsor'd/charity raising into Boston Marathon next April (so my sponsor says).

At my age (53) I'll never be a fast guy (I've never competitively run in my life) but I do want to do my best (for my age) and I've stuck with my training plans for the last 4 months to get to this point. I'm running 30mi/week (heading to 40-50). So I try not to miss any of my planned training runs. I've had to juggle this weeks plans due to the roundtrip long duration International flights. And I've got two Quality runs (T- and I-pace) to make once I'm overseas

So I'm trying to squeeze this one in!

As for appearances in the airport - I will have probably looked worse running to catch a flight during IRROPS! At least I'm doing it for the right reasons!^
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:05 pm

Congratulations on training. Age has nothing to do with it as the ONLY number you need to worry about is 26.2 miles and smiling when you achieve it in October.

I've done a few marathons and good you keep at training and variety your runs (weather, hills, terrain) so you'll be prepared for anything on race day.
Try to increase your weekly mileage to peak around 60 (if possible with your schedule) as it makes recovery easier after the race.

Seriously, NYGeorge had a valid concern and as long as you shower before boarding your overnight flight and have a ziplock bag around your ID, BP, aspirin etc. during your run. Have fun! I would urge excessive hydration before your flight and keep an aisle seat - as you may want to get up a few times.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
How about 75 laps of the triangle around the united club near gate C90? :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.