Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Is this sort of transit time normal for EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as LancBomber
Original Poster

Programs: AC Prestige25K, aeroplan, airmiles, United, Delta

Recently I flew from Edinburgh to Toronto via Newark on Continental. In Edinburgh Continental quoted 1 hour to clear immigration/customs at Newark. I had 3 hours between planes so felt no issue making the connection. WRONG.
It took 2:15 minutes to clear, then another :15 to get to another terminal only to spend 1:10 clearing security all over again. I made my connection solely for the reason the flight was 2 hours late. I have never experienced such delays like this before and since CO said 1 hour was adequate, I have to ask was this normal or a one-off for Newark?

I normally take direct non-stop but have to go through Newark again in January and am dreading it.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I don't like EWR either but in EWR or JFK, it is unrealistic to state how long immigration will take. How many flights are arriving along with yours? Are you the last one off the plane? Many things affect the speed it takes to go through immigration especially if you're not American. If you fly overseas more than once in a blue moon, you know that.

Security lines can take a long time. I've never waited as long as you did but then again, I fly out of EWR early in the morning if I have to do so.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never waited anywhere near 1h10m to clear security at Newark. Maximum is typically 30 minutes, and normal is usually 10-15.

I guess immigration can be highly variable, and is probably worse for non-US citizens, but again, I've never seen a line that would suggest waits anywhere close to 2+ hours.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I wouldn't say average but not insane.
immigration as EWR has taken me 10 mins and up to 90 mins. If you include the long walk from gate and deboarding of aircraft easily 2 hrs.

Security clearance shouldn't exceed an hour so that part is slightly abnormal. Note, continental has three security gates so you can walk to the next entrance without lost of time within the terminal in the future. I find the security entrance near the low number gates when open has a minimum queue. It is furthest away from ground transportation and I believe AirTran
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I miss the days of intransit passengers being processed entirely differently - diverted from main crowd and channled back into departure lounge. I still do not understand why that procedure was abandonned - I mean all pax have been security screened before so why all over again... seems overkill
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LancBomber
- I mean all pax have been security screened before so why all over again... seems overkill
All pax have been security screened by who, exactly?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The OP is talking of the process in many countries where transit passengers are kept in the secure area after deplaning. They would have been screened, in the OP's case, by UKCBP at LHR or LGW and have been in a sterile environment since then.

As for Newark security can be a real nightmare, I have seen the lines for security snake out the door at terminal C before.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Nugget_oz is correct but at EDI - and actually excessive. Took Drivers Licence along with passport to ? and kept us waiting in the check-in line. Us being all of the pax for the flight. I even showed my Canpass card to no avail. (yes I know Canpass is only good between US/Can but worth a try. Anyway thanks everyone for your comments. I am going to some how avoid newark.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LancBomber
I am going to some how avoid newark.
That's advice by which some NYC locals abide.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The OP is talking of the process in many countries where transit passengers are kept in the secure area after deplaning. They would have been screened, in the OP's case, by UKCBP at LHR or LGW and have been in a sterile environment since then.
And we're supposed to just assume that the UK security screening was up to the standards we have in this country? (Irrespective of what you think about those standards).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:32 am

And we're supposed to just assume that the UK security screening was up to the standards we have in this country? (Irrespective of what you think about those standards).
UK, French, Canadian, Australian, you rely on them to screen passengers who come in internationally, on larger planes even. And sometimes security screening at non-US gateways is more vigourous than at US airports.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UK, French, Canadian, Australian, you rely on them to screen passengers who come in internationally, on larger planes even. And sometimes security screening at non-US gateways is more vigourous than at US airports.
Ever flown out of Colombia to the U.S.?

1. Bag x-ray and metal detector (Screening #1)
2. Departure passport stamp
3. Duty-free
4. Carry-on luggage search (Screening #2)
5. In departure lounge, metal detector and bag search (Screening #3)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Ever flown out of Colombia to the U.S.?
)
There can be a variety of reasons, legitimate ones no less for your experience. With a heavy concentration of American law enforcement they probably know more about you on that trip than you think.

As for screening outside the US, in a number of places US personnel are on site, some clandestine others visible. Notable is Shannon - where a visible agent from hell resides. He berates Americans and others without bias and if they complain he says to the Americans 'don't leave home next time'.. - a real piece of work that lad. Doing his job? I would suggest only part of it. Alienating people is not in his job spec.

I guess we have strayed off topic (Newark tardiness). Maybe this exchange should belong in another forum???
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm glad you think so - the US government apparently does not agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.