Restaurant tax in NYC ?

Subscribe
Hi all,

I am trying to figure the amount of a restaurant gift card for a relative going to NYC; I believe there is city and state taxes in restaurants, am I correct ? It will not be take-away.

What is the overall tax rate ?
If the listed prix fixe menu is 80 USD, what is it after tax ?

Many thanks !
J-
Sales tax is 8.875%.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There is no "restaurant" tax, per se, but the general sales tax applies to restaurant meals, as well as take-out meals. The current combined state and New York City sales tax rate is 8 7/8% (8.875%).
Both of the above comments were correct, but also left you to do the math.

Sub Total. . . . . . . . .$80.00

+sales tax 8.875%. . . . 7.10

Total:. . . . . . . . . . . $87.10

Note that this figure does not include the tip. Tipping is the subject of much dispute in this forum, to put it mildly.
Thanks all for the help - and for the reminder about the tip
We don't nearly tip as often on this side of the Atlantic.

Cheers,
J-
Quote: Thanks all for the help - and for the reminder about the tip

Cheers,
J-
In NYC it's pretty typical to add 20% to the pre-tax total of a bill for a tip, although like LandingGear said, there is no precise standard.
Quote: Thanks all for the help - and for the reminder about the tip

Cheers,
J-
Many people just double the tax in New York City to leave a tip.
Quote: In NYC it's pretty typical to add 20% to the pre-tax total of a bill for a tip, although like LandingGear said, there is no precise standard.
It's also pretty typical to add 15% to the pre-tax total of a bill for a tip. No one's going to bat an eye.
Quote: It's also pretty typical to add 15% to the pre-tax total of a bill for a tip. No one's going to bat an eye.
Or add 20% to the post-tax total, for that matter.

Bottom line, tipping less than 15% of the pre-tax total would be a "I wasn't happy with something" tip. Tipping more than 20% of the post-tax would be a "I really really liked my waiter" tip. In between, there be dragons.
Quote: Many people just double the tax in New York City to leave a tip.
That is EXACTLY what we do unless the service were superior or inferior.
Quote: That is EXACTLY what we do unless the service were superior or inferior.
I've seen some receipts where the sales tax doesn't include alcohol (not sure if the alcohol already has taxes included or what). So if you had $80 worth of food and a $40 bottle of wine, the tax might only be about $7 and doubling it would yield a roughly 12% tip on the pre-tax total.

Does anybody know what's up with that?