Hotel: The London, NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2008, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)

While it's easy to find user reviews of this re-engineered property on Expedia and TripAdvisor, I was wondering what fellow FT'ers had to say...

Anyone stay here? Pro/con? I appreciate any info

BN
Old May 11, 2008, 10:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since no one has commented, let me note that I believe I've seen comparisons to this hotel in the luxury hotel forum. However, the search function (particularly for a hotel named after another city with a lot of listings!) can't seem to find them -- at least for me. Maybe someone who has better expertise can help?
Old May 13, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
You'll find some reviews over in the AMEX forum due to the LXR free hotel night for Centurions last year.

My parents stayed there for a night back in December and I visited them. They loved it and I was impressed with the room. I don't believe they received any special upgrade, but their room was still quite large and very well appointed. The lobby and restaurants are very nice, we had tea at the more low-key one but did not have a chance to dine at Gordon Ramsey's.

If the price is right, go for it.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
While it's easy to find user reviews of this re-engineered property on Expedia and TripAdvisor, I was wondering what fellow FT'ers had to say...

Anyone stay here? Pro/con? I appreciate any info

BN
I used to stay at the place when it was the Rihga and later the JW. What I liked about it was the size of the suites which were (and I think still are) great value, especially given the hotel's central location. It ain't the MO or Pen - but it's pretty good for what you pay.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
I appreciate the comments. Thanks much!

I ended up canceling my rez at London, as most reviews mentioned that while the room was large, the service wasn't top-notch and the furniture was horribly uncomfortable. They've got a good location, but it wasn't the selling point for me.

I'm now at Hotel on Rivington. I snagged a good rate on the top-floor owners suite and will mostly stick to the LES for my shopping/dining needs. I do try to stay away from Times Square as much as possible. Too insane for me, even if they do have Junior's Cheesecake.

BN
Old May 16, 2008, 12:18 pm

My parents stayed at tHoR a few months ago and were horrified at the first room they were given. They said it was one of the smallest rooms they'd ever seen--plus it had no ventilation and almost no natural light. After they complained, they were given a better room with a balcony, air and a decent view, yet they still said they wouldn't go back because the hotel is just so weird. I never got a chance to come check their room out, but from the way they described it, it sounds like whoever decorated the rooms picked out a bunch of trendy high-design furniture and fixtures from catalogs without considering the functionality of any of it.

That said, if you have a top-floor suite, the cool factor will probably far outweigh the impracticality of the design. And it is a great area for interesting-but-not-outrageously-priced dining and shopping (much more interesting than Times Square). Let me know if you want recommendations in the area (I live a few blocks away).
Old May 16, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
There is nothing wrong with the London's furniture unless the users are very traditionalist and cant handle anything with a little modernity.

I havent checked rates lately, but this was the best 4.5 star in the city in '07 and also the best value hotel IMO. It is a very strong property that has a firm position just under the best hotels in NYC...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Staying at the London for a couple nights next week. Anyone know if it is affiliated with any mileage programs?

By the way, I stayed there last year for a night on business and really like the rooms. Very large. The furniture was on the modern side but still comfortable.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked for a fridge in the room and rather than empty the minibar, they brought me some tiny thingie to sit on top which never got below 40degF by its own thermometer.

I had an FHR rate that included a tea at Gordon Ramsey. Seemed like a huge ripoff to me, I believe the normal rate was something like $45 per person.

But the room was ok, it was nice that they had renovated since the days of the Rhiga Royal.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

I had an FHR rate that included a tea at Gordon Ramsey. Seemed like a huge ripoff to me, I believe the normal rate was something like $45 per person.
Did that include lemon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.