Wiki Posts
Search

Driving: JFK to Providence, return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Although it will likely be more expensive, I would consider doing a one-way car rental from JFK to downtown Providence -- or New London, New Haven, etc. -- dropping the car off on Friday, and then taking Amtrak and the LIRR to get back to JFK.

The OP also needs to consider how he will pay for tolls on the route: either cash if he only uses facilities that still accept cash, or the rental company's transponder, which incurs a daily fee.
Thank you. Amtrak for Friday wins!
For tolls, I consider paying with cash (do I have to have exact change?); OR, do they accept credit card?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No credit cards at toll booths. Cash booths will make change.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Do they have cash lanes anymore? I assume the OP will go over the Whitestone or the Triboro and the Thruway toll in New Rochelle. (After driving this route dozens of times a year for most of my adult life, I actually haven’t done it in a bit, so I don’t remember.)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Blumie

Do they have cash lanes anymore? I assume the OP will go over the Whitestone or the Triboro and the Thruway toll in New Rochelle.
Whitestone, Triboro (RFK), Throg’s Neck are all cashless now. So it’s an $8.50 toll on top of the daily rental car fee (~$4) for using an EZ-Pass (EZ-Passes issued by NY agencies get a discount but it’s not certain if the rental car would have one of these). I also suspect if OP did not utilize his rental EZ-Pass and was billed by mail the administrative fee would be ridiculous.

If OP had plenty of time, they could save this money for a nice lobster roll by taking the 59th st bridge to the Willis Ave Bridge. OP could then snake up north using parkways until Milford CT (getting onto 95 there), a more scenic drive and avoiding time with the 18-wheelers on I-95.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allset2travel
How long a ride is this (from Jamaica Station to Penn Station)?
About 20 minutes depending upon the # of stops. Sit in the front of the LIRR train as that is where the Amtrak side of Penn is.

Originally Posted by wds
Whitestone, Triboro (RFK), Throg’s Neck are all cashless now. So it’s an $8.50 toll on top of the daily rental car fee (~$4) for using an EZ-Pass (EZ-Passes issued by NY agencies get a discount but it’s not certain if the rental car would have one of these). I also suspect if OP did not utilize his rental EZ-Pass and was billed by mail the administrative fee would be ridiculous.
Amtrak to Providence might be looking even MORE attractive to the OP! Plus the train is just easier, more comfortable, and scenic.

If OP had plenty of time, they could save this money for a nice lobster roll by taking the 59th st bridge to the Willis Ave Bridge.
If the OP has never driven into Manhattan on the 59th St Bridge aka Queensborough (via local streets in Queens with poor signage) nor gotten off the bridge from either level and made his/her way to the FDR, I wouldn't recommend it even as means of saving tolls.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wds17

There might be an alternative to using the rental car's transponder at cashless crossings:

https://www.tollsbymailny.com/vector...n_US&from=Home
allset2travel and wds17 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Noted, thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wds17

If OP had plenty of time, they could save this money for a nice lobster roll by taking the 59th st bridge to the Willis Ave Bridge. OP could then snake up north using parkways until Milford CT (getting onto 95 there), a more scenic drive and avoiding time with the 18-wheelers on I-95.
The tolls info is exactly what I was looking for. I'd like to reduce the hassle-factor as much as possible, while at the toll booth.

Well, the 59th St. Bridge idea is something I'd never thought of, sounds novel though! I keep this one in the back burner.

I was thinking going straight north on Van Wyck and cross over the Whitestone Bridge.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
There might be an alternative to using the rental car's transponder at cashless crossings:

https://www.tollsbymailny.com/vector...n_US&from=Home
Thanks for the link.

mmmm, interesting.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you ALL, you guys have been great in helping me!

Nothing has been booked yet, car has not yet been reserved (my preferred vendor is Hertz). I am inclined to drive up from JFK to Providence (like to see a little bit of CT and RI) and keep the car until I return by train to NYC/JFK.

One question: I try to return the car to Hertz at Providence Amtrak Station. The web site is ambiguous about whether or not I can drop off here before taking the train to NYC. In the booking process, it shows the Silver Spring Street address which is NOT close to the train station. Does Hertz runs a shuttle from Silver Spring St. to the station? Which vendor (any vendor) has drop-off at the station?

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Call them
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by allset2travel
One question: I try to return the car to Hertz at Providence Amtrak Station. The web site is ambiguous about whether or not I can drop off here before taking the train to NYC. In the booking process, it shows the Silver Spring Street address which is NOT close to the train station. Does Hertz runs a shuttle from Silver Spring St. to the station? Which vendor (any vendor) has drop-off at the station?
At many Amtrak stations there’s no actual Hertz location. Rather they offer pick up/drop off service (not a shuttle per se; they’ll just send someone to pick you up or drop you off), or in some cases will reimburse for a taxi. In Providence, I suspect if you arrange to drop at the location indicated, they’ll then drive you to the station. You should call to confirm.

By the way, don’t get to the Providence station too early. It’s a dump!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie

At many Amtrak stations there’s no actual Hertz location. Rather they offer pick up/drop off service (not a shuttle per se; they’ll just send someone to pick you up or drop you off), or in some cases will reimburse for a taxi. In Providence, I suspect if you arrange to drop at the location indicated, they’ll then drive you to the station. You should call to confirm.

By the way, don’t get to the Providence station too early. It’s a dump!
Yes, I did call. They confirmed they would drop me off at the station.
Thanks for heads-up regarding the conditions of the station!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta PM
couple of years ago i did the NYC to Providence, RI trip many times and I was amazed how nice it was, especially once you get past New Haven and all the traffic going to Boston.
My thoughts for your trip:
  1. Coming back on Friday night there will be some traffic, however, you do have a number of options on routes. I would prefer that than the Amtrak rigamarole. Just too many transfers and unknowns. I wouldn't do it trying to catch a plane.
  2. Use Google maps and they will give you the best route options
  3. Forget US 1, it's traffic lights and strip malls, Far better is to take the Merritt Parkway, which turns into the Hutchinson in NYS. It's scenic, very pretty and same time as I 95 in normal traffic. Again use google to see whats best
  4. when you rent the car, opt for the stupid Plate Pass. It's just easier.
Good luck
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by wxman22
I would prefer that than the Amtrak rigamarole. Just too many transfers and unknowns. I wouldn't do it trying to catch a plane.Good luck
Do keep an eye on delays. For whatever reason summer seems to be the worst in the NEC (Northeast Corridor). For example today there is a disabled freight train causing train 66 to arrive 1 hr 30 min late to Boston. Other fun occurrences have been swing bridges stuck (New London) and signal/switch problems (Long Island City). But you'll probably still whiz past traffic at the end of the day.

https://twitter.com/AmtrakNEC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.