Portland ME food recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland ME food recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Honey Paw is great. Before their original chef left a year or so ago, they were much more inventive. Since then it feels like they're resting on their laurels. Get the lobster wontons. If they happen to have beef rendang on the specials, get it and don't look back.
I sometimes wonder if the Eventide Fenway project is distracting them a bit. Hugos/Eventide/Honey Paw are all in the same building and you can walk from one end to the other in the back of the house (even though they are all distinct and separately run kitchens), and it has to be hard to go from that to opening 2 hours away, running the commissary down in Biddeford, etc. Honey Paw is still very good, though - the menu is just a little more predictable these days. You had that honey soft serve though? That will never get old to me.

Nobody works harder than these guys, though. I'm not good friends with any of them, but we've known each other since they were all working at Hugo's, and they are dedicated to what they do.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So went to DuckFat for dinner last night, truly amazing, after having seafood for the last 5 nights it was time to make a change. The Poutine with Duck Egg was excellent, I had the Duck Confit Panini which was the best Panini I have ever had. We only had a 10-minute wait. We are going to try The Honey Paw tonight anyone's thoughts on it?
Duckfat is ridiculous. The owner won a beard award when he owned/ran Hugo's, which he handed off to some people working for him so he could go open a sandwich shop. Turns out, he's the best in town at that, too.

Glad you enjoyed Portland. Our city punches above its weight in the restaurant scene for sure. Only 65k people in Portland proper, but they eat well.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Duckfat is ridiculous. The owner won a beard award when he owned/ran Hugo's, which he handed off to some people working for him so he could go open a sandwich shop. Turns out, he's the best in town at that, too.

Glad you enjoyed Portland. Our city punches above its weight in the restaurant scene for sure. Only 65k people in Portland proper, but they eat well.
With everybody talking about Evertide and the line of people waiting for a seat AND the fact it was packed speaks volumes! Never really looked into Hugo's, what kind of place it is, steakhouse, chophouse? Fore, we walked past, again, what kind of place is that? I have a conference in Boston in the middle of may, will head back up to Portland for a couple of nights, might stay at the Hampton Inn.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hugo's is inventive modern cuisine...Portland's closest thing to a molecular gastronomy place. I think it's great but I don't like their desserts: too fancypants for me.

Fore Street is meats grilled on a wood fire. It was the first fine dining restaurant in Portland and has been resting on its laurels since. It costs about 30% more than it should for what it is. Tends to attract an older crowd.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Hugo's is inventive modern cuisine...Portland's closest thing to a molecular gastronomy place. I think it's great but I don't like their desserts: too fancypants for me.

Fore Street is meats grilled on a wood fire. It was the first fine dining restaurant in Portland and has been resting on its laurels since. It costs about 30% more than it should for what it is. Tends to attract an older crowd.
On our next trip maybe you and PWMtrav should join us for dinner!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On our next trip maybe you and PWMtrav should join us for dinner!
Just let me know!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PWMTrav

I'm not sure that their Boston location is actually open yet. If it is, it will have just opened.
The Boston Fenway location opened today according to their website: http://www.eventideoysterco.com/ We'll try to hit that location too.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
So went to DuckFat for dinner last night, truly amazing, after having seafood for the last 5 nights it was time to make a change. The Poutine with Duck Egg was excellent, I had the Duck Confit Panini which was the best Panini I have ever had. We only had a 10-minute wait. We are going to try The Honey Paw tonight anyone's thoughts on it?
Duck Confit Panini.....my mouth is watering just reading that!!!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Duck Confit Panini.....my mouth is watering just reading that!!!
It was very good, I would get it again.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Heading up to Portland over Labor Day, any good suggestions for fun Happy Hours places in Old Port ?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:22 pm

J's Oyster and The Porthole are decent places for happy hour. They are not gourmet, but fun places to hang out. Mash Tun would be an interesting option as well - have a good beer and a snack there, then head to Central Provisions for dinner. Or just start at the downstairs bar at Central Provisions and stay.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'm making a trip back to PWM in a couple weeks - first time in a couple years. Don't bother with brunch suggestions (we are going to be at Eventide at 11 AM sharp both days), but how long will it take to wait in line at Fore Street for a walk-in on Sunday afternoon? Our flight out is at 7:50 PM on UA - so a 5 PM dinner is eminently doable - but I wonder how long it will take to get seated right at the open. I have no interest in waiting more than 1 hour ahead of time...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
Heading up to Portland over Labor Day, any good suggestions for fun Happy Hours places in Old Port ?
Binga's has the best deal in town: $3 drafts of any of their 60 or 70 taps, most of which are local beers.

King's Head is also great for beer. For a happy hour cocktail I'd probably check out the bar at East Ender.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'm making a trip back to PWM in a couple weeks - first time in a couple years. Don't bother with brunch suggestions (we are going to be at Eventide at 11 AM sharp both days), but how long will it take to wait in line at Fore Street for a walk-in on Sunday afternoon? Our flight out is at 7:50 PM on UA - so a 5 PM dinner is eminently doable - but I wonder how long it will take to get seated right at the open. I have no interest in waiting more than 1 hour ahead of time...
Doesn't Fore Street take reservations?

I've always found it to be good but near-comically overpriced.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:25 pm

Binga's has the best deal in town: $3 drafts of any of their 60 or 70 taps, most of which are local beers.

King's Head is also great for beer. For a happy hour cocktail I'd probably check out the bar at East Ender.
Good suggestions as well. Since moving away this winter, I find myself missing the Great Lost Bear a lot. It's not exactly in the old port, but worth a visit for anyone that loves beer and some really amazing wings.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Doesn't Fore Street take reservations?

I've always found it to be good but near-comically overpriced.
I missed the reservation window (same thing I did last time), so the only option is walking in. Given they have one-third of their seats set aside for walking in, I figured that if we showed up and were first on line, we would definitely make it in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.