Airline Changes at BOS / Boston Logan begin Nov 1 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Airline Changes at BOS / Boston Logan begin Nov 1 2011

Airline terminal changes at Logan. Of course consult your airline carrier:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic..._campaign=8315

At Logan, the reconfiguring starts Tuesday night, when AirTran Airways moves from Terminal C to Terminal E, where it will be positioned alongside its new owner, Southwest Airlines.

JetBlue Airways, which has become the biggest carrier at Logan and continues to expand, will take over AirTran’s ticket counter and three gates in Terminal C.

On Nov. 16, Spirit Airlines is moving from the east side of Terminal B, where American Airlines operates, to the west side to have US Airways take over its ground operations...

With American Eagle leaving and its parent company American Airlines cutting flights out of Boston, 20,000 square feet will be free in Terminal B. Massachusetts Port Authority officials plan to incorporate this space into a more than $40 million expansion to accommodate a larger United Airlines, which is merging with Continental Airlines.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
BOS-Logan, Story about United moving to Terminal B

Looks like United will be moving into Terminal B in the near future. The space left vacant by Eagle to be expanded/remodeled.
http://www.boston.com/business/artic...?p1=News_links
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Interesting. Since the FL is gone, hopefully this will mean I'll have a choice of the AC or the RCC while waiting for my flights! Assuming they keep the isthmus to Siberia, that is.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
With all the moves, they should resuscitate the Terminal D designation, and redesignate the north B terminal (now AA, to be UACO) as C, and the existing C terminal as D.

When CO moves out of A, what will move in there?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:29 am

According to this article:

A - Delta and Alaska

B1 - US Airways, Air Canada, Spirit and Frontier

B2 - American, United-Continental and Virgin America

C - JetBlue and Cape Air

E - Soutwest, AirTran and all other international carriers.

I knew some major changes would happen, with the FL-WN deal, UA-CO, B6 expanding and AA reducing. Nice to know what the final outcome is.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
With American Eagle leaving and its parent company American Airlines cutting flights out of Boston, 20,000 square feet will be free in Terminal B. Massachusetts Port Authority officials plan to incorporate this space into a more than $40 million expansion to accommodate a larger United Airlines, which is merging with Continental Airlines.
This part hasn't been announced by Massport yet. I'm terrible at estimating the size of a space, but are we sure all of this will be in B2? Since the rest of *A is in B1, if UA is moved to B2, they would definitely benefit from an air-side connection to B1. If an air-side connection is built, they could potentially operate gates in both part of B.

I also expect the "$40 million expansion" to mean UA will not be in B this year.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
This part hasn't been announced by Massport yet. I'm terrible at estimating the size of a space, but are we sure all of this will be in B2? Since the rest of *A is in B1, if UA is moved to B2, they would definitely benefit from an air-side connection to B1. If an air-side connection is built, they could potentially operate gates in both part of B.

I also expect the "$40 million expansion" to mean UA will not be in B this year.
I think they said all of it will be done in 2013, although some changes are happening as soon as next week.

I guess it will all fit. AA used to be much bigger in BOS, so with their reductions and NK leaving I guess there is space. I am sure they spend some time figuring it out (although maybe I am giving Massport too much credit!).

It would be nice to have US and UA in the same terminal, but I don't think there are that many connections between the two. And there would still be LH and LX in E.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'd love to see AA consolidate gates closer to the AC. It seems like every time I am walking to B23 or B32 or some such far-flung gate. Small complaint I'll admit, but if they're collapsing down, it would be nice to have a shorter schlep.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:26 am

I don't mind AA giving up gates 22-26, but if they lose 27-29 I would worry about capacity in the peak months. If capacity gets too tight AA might be forced to move its international departures to E, where there is currently no air-side lounge access.

I think someone (massport?) should pay for a nice air-side AC/FL/OW lounge in E if this happens, it's already a bit ridiculous that BA, IB and JL don't have a proper one.

B-E would of course be a much worse schlep for anyone making a connection at our little spoke.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I think someone (massport?) should pay for a nice air-side AC/FL/OW lounge in E if this happens, it's already a bit ridiculous that BA, IB and JL don't have a proper one.

BA has a nice lounge in terminal E. There is a first class side and a business class side. I like the lounge, but do wish it had windows. IB customers do have lounge access in Boston, I can only assume the JL customers will when service starts.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:56 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Since this article and topic are more about the actual BOS airport and broader than just AA, we'll shift this over to the New England forum. Thanks! /JY1024, AA forum co-moderator
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
I'd love to see AA consolidate gates closer to the AC. It seems like every time I am walking to B23 or B32 or some such far-flung gate. Small complaint I'll admit, but if they're collapsing down, it would be nice to have a shorter schlep.
No offense, but it's really not that far. Now that AA will be down to B28-B36 effective November 18, it's really not that far. B32-B24 is a one minute walk TOPS from the AC. If anything B28-B29 are a bit further but its still a very compact operation.

DL on the other hand can be a nuisance when departing on the shuttle as the SkyClub is in the satellite and its easily a 5 min+ walk. Usually my ATL/SLC flights depart from the satellite but I've had several DTW flights leave from the main concourse. At any rate, hopefully DL will get the second club back now that they have increased their presence here. The SC got very crowded in the evening with the AS (PDX+SEA), AMS, CDG, and LHR departures compounded with all the Groupons, Amex offers, etc that DL lures people in with.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by will2288
BA has a nice lounge in terminal E. There is a first class side and a business class side. I like the lounge, but do wish it had windows. IB customers do have lounge access in Boston, I can only assume the JL customers will when service starts.
I was interested to find, on a recent IB flight in which I was traveling in J, that I was invited to use the VS lounge in E. Probably could have used the BA lounge instead (or in addition), but the VS lounge is very nice.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: United 1K
Big changes at Boston's Logan Airport

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...logan_airport/

- United and Continental to Terminal B
- AirTran to Terminal E to join Southwest (new parent company)
- American Eagle leaving Boston market completely
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
I realize those lounges meet the needs of many travelers, but I don't usually arrive early enough to relax in a lounge before clearing security. Flying out of a terminal where all the lounges are landside is essentially the same as there being no lounge (for me).

I doubt AA will get access to the VS lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.