FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Seafood Restaurant in Boston (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1245508-seafood-restaurant-boston.html)

h3127 Aug 7, 2011 8:36 pm

Seafood Restaurant in Boston

Looking for a fun seafood restaurant with good food not too far from Ritz Carlton Boston Common for dinner on a Wednesday night. Thanks!

Blumie Aug 8, 2011 8:02 am

I haven't been myself, but there's lots of excitement lately about Island Creek Oyster Bar, a relatively new place in Kenmore Sq., a very easy ride on the subway, or a quick cab ride, from the Ritz. More casual, but also quite good, is Neptune Oyster Bar, in the North End, also easily reached by subway or cab from the Ritz. Island Creek takes reservations. Neptune does not, and there's often a long line. I also really like B&G Oyster Bar, in the South End, again very close to the Ritz.

Some will tell you to go to Legal Sea Foods, a storied Boston-area chain that has a location walking distance from the Ritz. Avoid it, IMHO. It ranges from fair to ok, but you certainly can do a lot better.

magiciansampras Aug 8, 2011 8:25 am

Another good option I second Blumie on walking over to B&G Oyster in the south end. Can get crowded and loud but excellent food and a nice wine list.

tkey75 Aug 9, 2011 2:48 pm

Third for B&G. I've had Island Creek stuff at catered events. They're very good and I'll bet it's a good meal at the restaurant, but can't vouch personally. I hope to change that sometime soon.

trueblu Aug 9, 2011 6:54 pm

I would recommend Island Creek. It's a nice room, the staff are reasonably friendly and very knowledgeable. However, the oysters are the best thing on the menu imo. The variety is excellent.

tb

h3127 Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! We ended up going to B&G. We were there in mid-August and ate outside on their patio which we enjoyed. The food was great and it was a fun atmosphere with really good service. The menu is not huge, but many good things on it. Oysters were fantastic! Really appreciate your recommendations because we never would have ended up there otherwise.

bsaced Feb 10, 2012 7:30 am

I like Atlantic Fish co in back bay a lot.

somethinpositiv Mar 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by bsaced (Post 17988353)
I like Atlantic Fish co in back bay a lot.

I second that. Atlantic Fish is amazing food and reasonably priced, with a location that you could walk to from the Ritz (or take the Green Line a couple stops if you're in a rush).

CUTiger78 Mar 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I love the No Name on the Fish Pier.

jason8612 Apr 2, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm going this weekend to Boston and staying at the IC. Are the restaurants mentioned above excellent and close to the IC also? I need some tasty seafood :)

Out of my Element Apr 3, 2012 6:13 am

IC is close to the waterfront, Faneuil Hall, and the North End. The other restaurants were more in Back Bay and Copley Square.

Tons of great places in the North End for seafood, mostly Italian style. Neptune Oyster (good luck getting in) might be the best choice (not Italian style)

PWMFlyer19 Apr 3, 2012 6:18 am

Giacomo's in the North End is great seafood:
http://giacomosblog-boston.blogspot.com/

Cash only, small and you will have to wait on a busy night.

Cheers.

cacic Apr 4, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 18323496)
I'm going this weekend to Boston and staying at the IC. Are the restaurants mentioned above excellent and close to the IC also? I need some tasty seafood :)

If you follow the harbor walk from the IC to behind the Courthouse and all the way down Northern Avenue you will come to Yankee Lobster. They have really good, relatively inexpensive seafood. There is also Legal Seafoods (mixed response from people on FT) and also Legal Test Kitchen.

Blumie Apr 4, 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 18323496)

Count me firmly in the Legal-Sea-Foods-sucks camp. Neptune Oyster is the best option near the IC. Yes, there will be a wait, but you can give them your cell number and walk around the North End while you're waiting (although if you're solo, you might snag a seat at the bar without a wait).

Out of my Element Apr 4, 2012 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 18335384)
Count me firmly in the Legal-Sea-Foods-sucks camp. Neptune Oyster is the best option near the IC. Yes, there will be a wait, but you can give them your cell number and walk around the North End while you're waiting (although if you're solo, you might snag a seat at the bar without a wait).

Legal is Legal, but have you been to Legal's Harborside or the Test Kitchen (both on the S. Boston waterfront)?

They are quite different from the traditional Legal Seafoods and need to be considered as such.

Also in the North End is Daily Catch. Excellent Italian style seafood, also a very small space with a wait.