Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PA to ME

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:52 am
Original Poster

PA to ME

I'm going to be traveling from Central PA to Southern Maine for the beginning of next week, I made the same trip last year and made the mistake of going 78 to Newark and 95 the rest of the way. Needless to say I will not be doing that ever again and I'm sure it gets worse than what I experienced. Does anyeone have any suggestions on a route? thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by rb4872
I'm going to be traveling from Central PA to Southern Maine for the beginning of next week, I made the same trip last year and made the mistake of going 78 to Newark and 95 the rest of the way. Needless to say I will not be doing that ever again and I'm sure it gets worse than what I experienced. Does anyeone have any suggestions on a route? thanks.
I-80 to I-84 to I-90 to I-495 to I-95. There really is no other way, IMNSHO. I suppose you could consider I-80 to I-287 to the Merritt Parkway (CT route 15) to I-91 to I-84. How central in central PA are you?

As an aside, I-84 exit 1 in New York, Port Jervis, is basically New Jersey. I doubt you will find cheaper gas along your route (significantly cheaper), so plan on filling up there. Don't run out of gas, by any means, but if I don't get 19 gallons in my 20 gallon tank, I feel like I've failed. You will want to take NJ-23 from the exit. It's about a half mile, max.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Coincidentally, someone asked a very similar question the other day but picked the beginning point of the journey and put the thread in the Mid Atlantic forum. Happy travels.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It would depend on where you are, but i would find a route to get to 84 and go that way and avoid the entire NY area, then follow the route above.

I live right off the Merritt in Connecticut, and would suggest staying away from that for a while, the Stimulus money has many parts of it down to just one lane for construction most any time of the day but rush hour. Gonna be nice once they finish it, but there are closures and delays over a good portion of that.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where in Pennsylvania?

What about Route 84 in PA to the Mass Pike (I-90). Take Mass Pike east to 290 North, to 495 North, to 95 North into NH and follow to Maine.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
It would depend on where you are, but i would find a route to get to 84 and go that way and avoid the entire NY area, then follow the route above.

I live right off the Merritt in Connecticut, and would suggest staying away from that for a while, the Stimulus money has many parts of it down to just one lane for construction most any time of the day but rush hour. Gonna be nice once they finish it, but there are closures and delays over a good portion of that.
Thanks for the tip! I would have actually taken that on Wednesday, going from Hartford to Milford. What time does it clear out? Better after, say, 7PM?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:16 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by mclee19
Thanks for the tip! I would have actually taken that on Wednesday, going from Hartford to Milford. What time does it clear out? Better after, say, 7PM?
That's actually the Wilbur Cross Parkway from Milford to Hartford. Same road, different name.

According to the state traffic map

http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/iti/master_iti.html

There is no construction on that part, it's all below Milford, including pretty much right outside my window.

With the exception of a four hour window at rush hour, in the direction that rush hour is going, it's pretty much a 24 hour operation now. About half the time they are off the traveled part of the road, the rest of the time they are down to one lane or traffic is stopped for short periods.

I don't believe there is any construction at all on the Merritt or the Wilbur Cross after Trumbull.

They are one year into the three year project, so it won't be finished until summer of 2012 (it also includes a bridge replacement)
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:19 am

I-80 to I-84 to I-90 to I-495 to I-95. There really is no other way, IMNSHO. I suppose you could consider I-80 to I-287 to the Merritt Parkway (CT route 15) to I-91 to I-84. How central in central PA are you?

As an aside, I-84 exit 1 in New York, Port Jervis, is basically New Jersey. I doubt you will find cheaper gas along your route (significantly cheaper), so plan on filling up there. Don't run out of gas, by any means, but if I don't get 19 gallons in my 20 gallon tank, I feel like I've failed. You will want to take NJ-23 from the exit. It's about a half mile, max.
I just realized I missed a vital link in the I-84 route (that would have been obvious looking at a map)

You need to take I-81 from I-80 to get to I-84 in Scranton.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cordelli
That's actually the Wilbur Cross Parkway from Milford to Hartford. Same road, different name.

According to the state traffic map

http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/iti/master_iti.html

There is no construction on that part, it's all below Milford, including pretty much right outside my window.
I wondered about that construction as we were miserably stuck in it 5 weeks ago.

This morning, I drove on 95 to Milford and took that 1 mile connector to 15 (Wilbur Cross) and found no construction whatsoever. Talk about being thrilled! I typically don't take 95 in CT but this morning I did. (Plus I wasn't up for the sharp curves of the Hutch and the hills and sharp curves of the the Merritt).

So there is still construction on the Merritt below Milford according to that map...thank you for sharing that.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:32 pm

My thoughts exactly! Great tip for whoever is traveling on i84.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:25 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Analise

So there is still construction on the Merritt below Milford according to that map...thank you for sharing that.

Till June of 2012. It's hit or miss, I have yet to figure out a schedule of when they are there and when they are not, and I can see the main project from my house (the replacement of the bridge between exits 44 and 46)

Many times traffic is flying without any problems, the work they are doing is either stopped (like now, nobody is working right now) or they could be blocking a lane and have traffic backed up or worse, have it closed for 15 minute periods as they move giant rocks they chipped off the side of the road.

There's probably a much better chance of not hitting delays then there is hitting them (non rush hour), but the problem is when you hit a delay it could easily be miles long and moving at 10 mph or less. It's in three areas, they are replacing a bridge over a river in Fairfield, they are widening the road in Fairfield and Westport, and they are rebuilding a bridge down by Norwalk. The rest is clear.

Sometimes it's just one project working, others it's all three.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by davedeboston
My thoughts exactly! Great tip for whoever is traveling on i84.
Glad to get some validation on that one. It's one of those things that people just seem to shrug off without realizing just how much cheaper than anyplace else along that route exit 1 is. Most people should be able to save $2-6, which, given that you gotta get gas anyway, is pretty damn good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.