Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Windshield Damage, sent to collections, now on DNR list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hey All,

I'm looking for advice - I rented a vehicle back in Nov 2017 and returned the vehicle with National allegedly with damage.

I've rented a lot from them between then and now and have been now flagged on the DNR list. I called EHI's Damage Recovery Unit and they advised me its now with collections and they do not have my 'file' anymore.

I asked for the copy of the Billing Letter and they emailed it to me - the damage looks to be a windshield and its for $400.00 with Admin Fee, and this seems fishy and I want to dispute this. How do I go about this, especially since they tell me there is no way to dispute this now that it's in collections.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Costs seem reasonable for a windshield replacement, especially if it was a higher-end vehicle with windshield sensors or cameras as many vehicles now have. Were you notified of the damage at all? Were you provided with a notice of the damage asking you to pay before it went to collection? Perhaps notice was sent to the wrong address? 14 months seems like a long time for something like this to go unnoticed.

The reality is they don't "have" to let you back on, but if you work with their "Collections" to get it paid promptly, you may get off the DNR list.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Wasn’t at all notified, they just told me today when I went to rent. Had to do the back up of shame and call. I don’t mind paying $400 but don’t I have the right to also dispute this?

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Costs seem reasonable for a windshield replacement, especially if it was a higher-end vehicle with windshield sensors or cameras as many vehicles now have. Were you notified of the damage at all? Were you provided with a notice of the damage asking you to pay before it went to collection? Perhaps notice was sent to the wrong address? 14 months seems like a long time for something like this to go unnoticed.

The reality is they don't "have" to let you back on, but if you work with their "Collections" to get it paid promptly, you may get off the DNR list.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:06 pm

Did you actually cause the damage during the rental? If not, I would reach out to National's customer service using the information at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/national/ and ask them for help.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

It was so long ago, to be honest.. I would remember.

Thanks for the link! I started the process in getting the issue resolved.

Originally Posted by JMorgana
Did you actually cause the damage during the rental? If not, I would reach out to National's customer service using the information at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/national/ and ask them for help.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rtch92
It was so long ago, to be honest.. I would remember.

Thanks for the link! I started the process in getting the issue resolved.
Welcome! Keep everything in writing so you have a record of the conversation. If it turns out the damage wasn't your fault and they won't budge, the folks over at elliott.org may be able to assist but they will want to see your paper trail.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My guess is that a notice was sent, but somehow did not reach you. Delivered to the wrong address or you tossed it along with the other junk mail (since everything is marked "critical" it's common.

Highly unlikely that National would have waited and sent to collections without at least thinking it had notified you as the collections process winds up costing at least 40% of the debt.

But, until the matter is cleared, whether by payment or a credit being issued, you will remain a DNR. When and if you do resolve the matter, make sure you follow up having yourself removed as a DNR as the two work flows are not the same.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Often1
My guess is that a notice was sent, but somehow did not reach you. Delivered to the wrong address or you tossed it along with the other junk mail (since everything is marked "critical" it's common.

Highly unlikely that National would have waited and sent to collections without at least thinking it had notified you as the collections process winds up costing at least 40% of the debt.

But, until the matter is cleared, whether by payment or a credit being issued, you will remain a DNR. When and if you do resolve the matter, make sure you follow up having yourself removed as a DNR as the two work flows are not the same.
Last time I had a damage claim opened by National, the Damage Recovery Unit (DRU) both mailed the claim and sent it in a PDF to my email.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Apparently I had years old information on file for them.

My old address from 2012 and my old work email.

But the strangest thing is, every time I booked or got a receipt I always got them in my personal email with my address.

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123

Last time I had a damage claim opened by National, the Damage Recovery Unit (DRU) both mailed the claim and sent it in a PDF to my email.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

OK. So now we know where your notices were sent.

What would you have done had you received the claim a few days after the rental. It still comes back to the facts. The $400 is not odd depending on the vehicle. It is whether you are responsible for the damage.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone still think I can still dispute this?

I would be asking for the following:

• Closed rental agreement - This is the Final Document from the Car Rental Company and is provided when the vehicle has been returned. It will detail the following: the final charges for the rental, $0 balance, method of payment, date and time returned and mileage on the rental vehicle.

• Check in / Check out slips - Document which details the condition of the vehicle at time of rental pick up and return. Usually a diagram of the car is included detailing any pre-existing damage or damage that was found on the vehicle upon it's return.

• Accident / Incident report - Document filled out at the Rental Company, which details the facts of the accident as well as the damage caused to the vehicle.

• Photos of damage - Photos need to clearly show damage on vehicle.

• Appraisal or estimate of damages - Document is from a repair or body shop and should include a breakdown of parts and labor.

• Prior condition report - This report shows rental vehicle condition prior to the Card Member's rental of the vehicle. Contains vehicle condition for the prior rental right before the Card Member's rental.

• Fleet Utilization Log or proof of payment for completed repairs - Report from Car Rental Company that summarizes what rental vehicles were available for rent at the time the Card Member's rental vehicle was being repaired or the receipt showing the Car Rental Company paid for the repairs to the vehicle. The fleet utilization log must be location and class specific and will detail the utilization rate for each day claimed.

Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:01 pm
Suspended

You may ask for anything you wish. With a DNR they may not care and may simply write off the $400 and leave you on the list. The problem you face is that from the other side of this transaction, it may be throwing good money after bad.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
what ended up happening after they said your on the DNR list? did you book another reservation with a diff company?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

booked with Hertz, was in and out there in 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Joonydell
what ended up happening after they said your on the DNR list? did you book another reservation with a diff company?
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Got an update, the windshield damage not being pursued by EHI but they mention another ‘open’ claim from 2015. When they sent me the BillingLetter pdf it shows pictures of a vehicle at 5430 KM but I had returned it at 2665 KM. How do I dispute this? It’s almost 3000 KM that go unaccounted for and I am being blamed for damage for in 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.