Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

List of cars with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL

Partly a genuine query about some up-coming rentals, but also a suggestion for the forum...

Would it be possible for us to start or amending an existing list (maybe even, gasp, a sticky) that can clarify which cars and model years have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay as standard?

Just a thought ^
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Apple provides a list of car that is able to have Car Play

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Partly a genuine query about some up-coming rentals, but also a suggestion for the forum...

Would it be possible for us to start or amending an existing list (maybe even, gasp, a sticky) that can clarify which cars and model years have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay as standard?

Just a thought ^
It would be a welcome addition to the Factory Navigation thread, but maybe someone else could take over updating since I'm not renting nearly as much so far this year and likely won't start renting frequently again for a few months.

As a note, I have the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and really like Android Auto in general... my only real complaint is you can't swipe/dismiss "cards" on the main screen, especially suggested destinations.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Android Auto should be getting pushed out to Chevy on 3/31 as a update.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC 50k, Marriott Titanium
Had a Chevy Impala (PCAR) with Apple CarPlay. Kinda buggy but it was good when it worked. Too bad I could only use Apple Maps with it.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
A recent 2016 Caddy XTS rental had it... I wasn't very impressed as it seemed VERY young in design and functionality. Definitely has a long ways to go.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by moze
A recent 2016 Caddy XTS rental had it... I wasn't very impressed as it seemed VERY young in design and functionality. Definitely has a long ways to go.
Curious, were you using Apple Car Play or Android Auto?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
The Sonata I tried recently had both. Android Auto with google maps is so much better than CarPlay and Apple Maps.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
The Sonata I tried recently had both. Android Auto with google maps is so much better than CarPlay and Apple Maps.
Eh I like Apple maps ever since iOS 9 imho. Google maps is still great but Apple maps has improved since when it first came out. Apple Maps on Car play did the job imo.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Eh I like Apple maps ever since iOS 9 imho. Google maps is still great but Apple maps has improved since when it first came out. Apple Maps on Car play did the job imo.
CarPlay has some way to go. It's pretty slow for me, at least in my Chevy Volt. Map routing hasn't been the best either.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:01 am

The guy in the Chevy booth at the detroit auto show that was demoing the carplay and android auto stuff was saying that the android auto side tended to be more sluggish and buggy. I have to admit, at the time I was wondering if that was some of the usual pro-apple bias that tends to happen with this type of thing.

I haven't hit a car yet that had android auto enabled yet, although I've had a couple that seemed to have car play in them (no iphone to try with though). Chevy radios are supposed to get an update at some point to enable the android side, but my guess is that the ones in the fleet currently won't ever get that update, and it'll take getting new cars in that have it from teh factory.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:58 pm

The bugginess I've seen in Android Auto in my personal vehicle (Pioneer 4100NEX) seems to have been more on the phone side (GPS signal issues, sluggish location updates at times), not so much with Android Auto either on the App side or the Head Unit side. I'm fairly confident this is the case as I have the same issues with my particular phone (Blu Vivo Air LTE) in Google Maps when not tethered to Android Auto as well. I'm dealing with it for the moment until I see what phone I'm issued by my next employer before proactively replacing it on my own dime.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Curious, were you using Apple Car Play or Android Auto?
Hi there. I was using Apple Car Play
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:57 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
2016 Buick Lacrosse has it. I'm using carplay, but as soon as I get my work phone switched over to Android from (gasp Windows phone) I will use Android auto. Carplay is fine, but until Apple lets you use google maps it's got some things to work out.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:28 pm

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...t-android.html

Android Auto update is available on some Chevy vehicles now. However, it is not OTA so it may be a while before we see Android Auto in the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.