Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Picking an Airline for Rocketmiles (and friends)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

So, I've got a tough call to make: I've got a few hotel stays coming up that are "off network" for me (e.g. not Hyatt and not IHG-with-a-good-offer). I'm going to have a Hilton account at some point in the near future to try and take advantage of the "double dip", but Hilton points have a toxic transfer rate so even then I'd consider using RM for them.

Basically, I'm trying to sort out some odd-and-end legs in East Asia (not Eastasia, the occasional prevalence of Newspeak in these programs notwithstanding) for a trip next December and so I'd like to pile up miles with some speed in a single program. Notably, I'm trying to fill in an HKG-SYD gap. The thing is, at present the various options are:

-Virgin Australia. My preferred airline in the region at the moment. Not an option since they're the only program I know with such a heavy geogaphic restriction on signing up, and I live in North America. Non-option.
-Amtrak. Lost the Chase transfer partnership and then blew a devaluation. Non-option.
-Virgin America. My preferred domestic airline, but (1) I'm flush with their points (almost 300k) and (2) their overseas options are a bit tied down. Possible but not necessarily desirable.
-Virgin Atlantic. Serious option, but the points are comparatively watered-down from what I can tell. Decent partner options, but availability is spotty outside Economy outside of their network, and the fees are nasty. Possible.
-Singapore. Serious option, though I'm not sure if I could rack up the desired points fast enough to make this work. Possible.
-AsiaMiles? I'm not quite sure how they relate to Cathay Pacific, but I'd be willing to seriously entertain them as an option with more information. Possible.
-Alaska?
-Someone with good access to the "major" networks (e.g. SkyTeam or OneWorld)?
-Anyone else worth looking into for this?

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is about which program to earn miles in, we'll move this to MilesBuzz.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
AA miles for CX
Bear in mind the rev based mile model lands with a thud on AA later this year.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:37 pm

You may want to take a look at the "additional taxes & fees" that Rocketmiles adds to their hotel bookings. A recent booking through them showed almost 23% in taxes & fees while the same booking direct from the hotel only added 10.5%, which is the proper state & hotel tax for that region. When questioned, their reply was they did not disclose the breakdown of the additional taxes & fees, and that I should be happy with all of the additional airmiles earned by booking through them.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
I have used this service twice. I was told that as AA EXP, I would receive 4K bonus for using the service plus + miles for the hotel stay. I received the miles for the hotel stay back in early February but have yet to receive my bonus miles.

I know this could take up to 4-6 weeks just curious if anyone else has received their bonus miles.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:28 am

think this is the place for my question from milesbuzz.

I booked my first stay with rocket miles.

alaska airlines has my first, middle and last name

I only gave rocketmiles my first and last name.

Will my 6k miles transfer over when i complete the stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.